Wilco (The Thread)

I will say this, there are times I think March is UT's best. Usually when I am listening to it and that stops being the case when I listen to No Depression or Anodyne.
Damn, for some reason this is much harder than Wilco. 2 through 4 could be in any order with no objections whatsoever. That said, I do think March is #1. To my mind and ears, it has held up over time as their strongest album – and I reach for it most often. When I need a bit of noise with my UT, the other 3 are all ready to provide.

1) March 16-20
2) Anodyne
3) Still Feel Gone
4) No Depression

I love the three albums you have listed before YHF, but any list that has YHF in fourth is a bit of a hot take in my opinion. Obviously, taste is subjective so you do you but this is type of thing that would make me questions someone’s opinions on pretty much everything else.
That's where I've got it! 🔥

1. YHF
  2. Summerteeth
  3. Mermaid Avenue Vol 1
  4. A Ghost Is Born
  5. Being There
  6. Sky Blue Sky
  7. Mermaid Avenue Vol 2
  8. A.M.
  9. Cruel Country
  10. Wilco (The Album)
  11. The Whole Love
  12. Schmilco
  13. Ode to Joy
  14. Mermaid Avenue Vol 3
  15. Star Wars
We’re not considering the Mermaid Avenue records in this? I am.

YHF is a Top 5 album of all time for me, no hesitation about its placement here.

Leaving Ode to Joy out of the top 7 is criminal.

Any list that starts with something other than YHF is tantamount to choosing Use Your Illusion 1&2 over Appetite for Destruction or DAMN over To Pimp A Butterfly.

And, obviously, Sky Blue Sky is at the bottom of the list, dragged down there by Impossible Germany.

1. YHF
  2. Summerteeth
  3. Mermaid Avenue Vol 1
  4. A Ghost Is Born
  5. Being There
  6. Sky Blue Sky
  7. Mermaid Avenue Vol 2
  8. A.M.
  9. Cruel Country
  10. Wilco (The Album)
  11. The Whole Love
  12. Schmilco
  13. Ode to Joy
  14. Mermaid Avenue Vol 3
  15. Star Wars

YHF is a Top 5 album of all time for me, no hesitation about its placement here.
This guy gets it.

Leaving Ode to Joy out of the top 7 is criminal.

Any list that starts with something other than YHF is tantamount to choosing Use Your Illusion 1&2 over Appetite for Destruction or DAMN over To Pimp A Butterfly.

And, obviously, Sky Blue Sky is at the bottom of the list, dragged down there by Impossible Germany.
I was with ya until the “And, obviously…”…obviously.

1. YHF
  2. Summerteeth
  3. Mermaid Avenue Vol 1
  4. A Ghost Is Born
  5. Being There
  6. Sky Blue Sky
  7. Mermaid Avenue Vol 2
  8. A.M.
  9. Cruel Country
  10. Wilco (The Album)
  11. The Whole Love
  12. Schmilco
  13. Ode to Joy
  14. Mermaid Avenue Vol 3
  15. Star Wars

I'd have volume 1 as my #3 too. But I don't really those records as in the same box—hard to compare.

FIFY :cool:

Wilco

1. Being There
2. YHF
3. Summerteeth
4. A Ghost Is Born
5. AM
6. The Whole Love
7. Sky Blue Sky
8. Cruel Country
9. Ode To Joy
9. Wilco (The Album), Schmilco, Star Wars

Uncle Tupelo

1. Anodyne
2. No Depression
3. March
4. Still Feel Gone

Jeff Tweedy

1-5. Five way tie, all bore me to death.

Mermaid Ave

1. 1
2. 2
3. 3

The Autumn Defense

I remember hearing Once Around, Circles, and The Autumn Defense and enjoyed each one. They have some really solid songs mixed in. The other two I haven't heard. No chance I could rank these.

Golden Smog

1. Down By The Old Mainstream
2. Weird Tales
3. On Golden Smog EP
4. Another Fine Day
5. Blood On The Slacks

Jay Bennett

1. The Palace at 4am
The rest I need to relisten to. Magnificent Defeat and Beloved Enemy have some nice moments from what I can remember.

I respect the
FIFY :cool:

Wilco

1. Being There
2. YHF
3. Summerteeth
4. A Ghost Is Born
5. AM
6. The Whole Love
7. Sky Blue Sky
8. Cruel Country
9. Ode To Joy
9. Wilco (The Album), Schmilco, Star Wars

Uncle Tupelo

1. Anodyne
2. No Depression
3. March
4. Still Feel Gone

Jeff Tweedy

1-5. Five way tie, all bore me to death.

Mermaid Ave

1. 1
2. 2
3. 3

The Autumn Defense

I remember hearing Once Around, Circles, and The Autumn Defense and enjoyed each one. They have some really solid songs mixed in. The other two I haven't heard. No chance I could rank these.

Golden Smog

1. Down By The Old Mainstream
2. Weird Tales
3. On Golden Smog EP
4. Another Fine Day
5. Blood On The Slacks

Jay Bennett

1. The Palace at 4am
The rest I need to relisten to. Magnificent Defeat and Beloved Enemy have some nice moments from what I can remember.
Getting a kick out of your Jeff Tweedy rankings, and can relate. As much as I love Wilco, and have great respect for Jeff, I definitely reached a saturation point in recent years between all of his solo records and books. I'm glad he has an outlet for his creativity, but I also don't consider any of it to be "essential". It's a big part of the reason I remain mostly underwhelmed by Ode to Joy and Cruel Country. A bit too much Jeff/Tweedy, not enough Wilco.

I respect the

Getting a kick out of your Jeff Tweedy rankings, and can relate. As much as I love Wilco, and have great respect for Jeff, I definitely reached a saturation point in recent years between all of his solo records and books. I'm glad he has an outlet for his creativity, but I also don't consider any of it to be "essential". It's a big part of the reason I remain mostly underwhelmed by Ode to Joy and Cruel Country. A bit too much Jeff/Tweedy, not enough Wilco.
I think that's my point with them too. Seeing the Star Wars tour I was so disappointed in the setlist and it soured me on them for a while. Just good with the live show for the most part now.

Saw Jeff Tweedy solo in St Louis last night with my son. It was awesome and he was awesome. He needs to stop whisper singing on his albums because his voice is still plenty good enough.

Wasn't sure what kind of set list he'd have solo, but he played a ton of Wilco, which was a pleasant surprise. Great show. Great time. Got a shirt.

IMG_20230718_213359577_HDR.jpg

Back