What's Spinning

I love it when the $1.00 bin at a random record store (while on vacation) strikes gold. Not sure what caught my eye. I am not nearly the music historian than some of you are, and had never heard of Eric Gale before, but a combination of the album art and it being a promo copy from 1977 got me to take a cheap chance. First... it happens to be an extremely clean and quiet pressing. Second, the music is funking fantastic. Listened twice through with a big ol grin. If you see this one laying around for cheap, grab it.

Per Wiki: He became known first as a session musician in the 1960s, eventually appearing on an estimated 500 albums. Among the many artists he recorded with were Mose Allison, Aretha Franklin, Bob James, Paul Simon (Gale plays a supporting role in the 1980 film One-Trick Pony, written by and starring Simon), Lena Horne, Quincy Jones, Bob Marley, Nina Simone, Peter Tosh, Grover Washington, Jr., Herbie Mann, Esther Phillips, Joe Cocker, Carly Simon, Van Morrison, Al Jarreau, Dave Grusin, Lee "Scratch" Perry, Paul Douglas and Billy Joel. He also had played in Aretha Franklin's stage band.

ERIC GALE - GINSENG WOMAN

8A632226-3A4E-446A-AE2F-9B32FF606FEE.jpeg

Bruce Springsteen
Darkness on the Edge of Town

Taking my own advice from another thread. My favorite track on this album, and in fact any Bruce album, is track 3: Something in the Night.

The dead quiet backgrounds with the piano, Bruces voice and Max’s drums busting through. It’s just an amazing performance. It’s one of only a couple tracks that I routinely get up and “rewind” on vinyl. And I do it repeatedly.

CB70BC4E-182F-4C81-BAB2-96D33EF456BF.jpeg

Back