What's Spinning

Dead Ghosts - Can't Get No

20190525-170527-Richtone-HDR.jpg

William Onyeabor - Anything You Sow (1985 OG Nigerian pressing on Wilfilms Records)

William Onyeabor is the king of electronic funk and this is his final album, released in 1985 in Enugu, Nigeria.

His story is super interesting. He became semi-famous through his funky music with his first album being released in 1977 (Crashes in Love). Just after releasing this album (Anything You Sow) in 1985 he became religious and decided to only use his musical skills to create religious songs (none of these were recorded). Years later in 2013 the label 'Luaka Bop' went looking for Onyeabor to get his permission to release a compilation of his music (titled 'Who is William Onyeabor?'). They struggled massively as Onyeabor saw his albums as distracting to his religious cause, which by now he had fully dedicated his time to. In fact he went as far as moving back to his hometown and built a walled home/hub where he held religious meetings, gatherings, etc. After much negotions, Luaka Bop convinced him and they released their compilation (well worth picking up/listening to).

Manu Dibango- Soul Makossa

I gotta admit- I was shaking my head when Lafayette Afro Rock Band was released. Lots loved it. Not me. Why listen to that when you can listen to the master? I'd never heard of them, but everyone knew Manu Dibango when this came out. My brother was blasting this. I totally got it. I was 7. I was also a weird kid.

IMG_3051.JPG

Dr John, The Night Tripper- Gris-Gris
2013 Reissue

A huge thank you to @syngts for hosting the inaugural Listening Club thread. Three nights in a row, three spins. With every spin, a new discovery. The first night, speakers down low. Last night headphones. Tonight, speakers with volume up a bit. I'm hearing new things each way. This is different, but damn good.

I'm hoping I don't get picked to host. Compared to this, I'll flat out suck.

IMG_3052.JPG

Back