What's Spinning

Gene Ammons All Stars- The Happy Blues

I think Gene Ammons is incredibly overlooked, especially his early stuff. This album is a standout featuring Jackie McLean, the Farmer brothers, Duke Jordan, Art Taylor and Candido. Great early jam session recorded by Rudy Van Gelder in Hackensack circa 1956. This is the early 60’s (late 50’s?) reissue that’s very affordable and still sounds stellar. AAC7484E-841A-4F1A-98C6-99E12B7D1DB0.jpeg

45rpm in slipcase? I still get a thrill every time I pull that version out and spin it. I rem the day the preorder arrived in the mail. Imagine a band selling their music direct to their fans. Quite the controversy.

Such a great sounding record. Coworker just rolled his eyes. Waisting money on vinyl when the MP3 was free. Giving away the MP3 without copy protection was also controversial. To each their own. :).

Last edited:
Tangerine Dream ‎– Sorcerer
Waxwork Records ‎– WW045, 1977/2020

Subscriber variant for the 2019 Waxwork subscription - on Blue/Green swirl vinyl

Pressed at GZ/MRP

oy2YBH.jpg

9SYDVe.jpg

45rpm in slipcase? I still get a thrill every time I pull that version out and spin it. I rem the day the preorder arrived in the mail. Imagine a band selling their music direct to their fans. Quite the controversy.

Such a great sounding record. Coworker just rolled his eyes. Waisting money on vinyl when the MP3 was free. Giving away the MP3 without copy protection was also controversial. To each their own. :).

Yeah it’s the diskbox edition direct from them. I didn’t even have a turntable for a full 6 years after I bought it, I just used the CDs! I was/am an enormous Radiohead fan and had to have a physical version and with the whole furore over the self-release wasn’t sure there would be a conventional release. So glad I did £30/£40 delivered for this was peanuts when you think what editions like this cost new now!

Tangerine Dream ‎– Sorcerer
Waxwork Records ‎– WW045, 1977/2020

Subscriber variant for the 2019 Waxwork subscription - on Blue/Green swirl vinyl

Pressed at GZ/MRP

oy2YBH.jpg

9SYDVe.jpg

How does it sound? Preorder just went live for non-subs. Been thinking if doing this combined with Parasite to make free shipping. No shortage of worthy preorders this week.

How does it sound? Preorder just went live for non-subs. Been thinking if doing this combined with Parasite to make free shipping. No shortage of worthy preorders this week.

It doesn't sound too bad actually. I'll have to A/B it with the 2 copies I have. I have 1 original US pressing and a 80's European/German reissue.

The only thing I saw they changed from those was move the last track on side A to the first of side B.

People have been complaining that the retail color scheme is better than the sub variant, but that really doesn't bother me...I like these colors.

DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG

Last edited:
Back