What's Spinning

Folks don't usually insert Joe Jackson in the conversation when discussing artists who can pull off diverse styles but he oughta be included. Punk, new wave, jazz, big band - he can hit it all.

View attachment 1993

Joe Jackson has a number of excellent albums. Been wanting to get ‘Big World’ out for another spin. Always a good listen.

‘Big World’ made press when it came out for a couple reasons (besides the great music). First, it was a 3 sided vinyl release. Rare at the time but forced with the new CD format pushing album length beyond what a traditional single vinyl could hold. And 2nd, the recording style. It was recorded live but with the threat of removing anyone from the audience who made noise.

Al Green - Lets Stay Together

Nowhere near the level of Call Me but considering it’s origins this is actually a really nice sounding record!

View attachment 1875

View attachment 1876
Given my other Al Green records from Fat Possum and the honestly below average quality of the Peebles VMP Record, I was quite surprised at how good this one sounds. The Call Me is next level brilliant sounding though. It’s a prize in the collection.

Given my other Al Green records from Fat Possum and the honestly below average quality of the Peebles VMP Record, I was quite surprised at how good this one sounds. The Call Me is next level brilliant sounding though. It’s a prize in the collection.

Yeah I was lucky to get the super deal with the Pure Pleasure ones of other two Al Green so this is the worst sounding of my 4 Al Green albums, Call Me Being the best by a distance. That said you are right it’s miles better than the Peebles!

How's this pressing? I've got some credit and would like to use it before my membership lapses probably forever at the end of the month. I see it's on sale for $10.

No pops or anything, but the production levels on this record were never anything to write home about. Absolutely worth a $10 purchase.

Back