What's Spinning

My collection #75

Afrosound - La Danza De Los Mirlos

Fruko is my favourite Latin artist and while I prefer his solo stuff, his spin off groups Wganda Kenya, Latin Brothers and Afrosound are all great. This surfs the line between funky Colombian and cheesy Colombian (sadly the cover is far from the worst cheesecake cover I've seen here) pretty well, but I've held back on purchasing more Afrosound as it's a bit too plinky plonky for me sometimes.

20200212_164526.jpg

Cross post from the Feb Challenge Thread:

Day 15 - Love Stinks!

Fleetwood Mac ‎– Rumours (Warner Bros. Records, 1977 First Jacksonville Pressing)

Perhaps one of the most well known break-up albums? The McVies had just divorced and Buckingham/Nicks had an on/off relationship which resulted in constant arguments (I THOROUGHLY recommend this book for a crazy insight into the group - Storms: My Life with Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac by Carol Ann Harris). I have 4 pressings of this album, this first Jacksonville press (which I think sounds the best), a first Winchester Pressing, First UK pressing, and a missprint. Superb stuff considering how high the tensions were at the time!

IMG_3417.JPG

Still one of my favorites from last year...

Alexander Taylor ‎– Scream, Queen! My Nightmare On Elm Street - The Soundtrack
1984 Publishing ‎– 1984-004, 2019

350 unsigned / 100 signed

Cut by Dave Polster at Well Made Music

NlQHe6.jpg

Ynsj8n.jpg

JhyTGI.jpg

Last edited:
A Blissful Walkthrough of My Chaotic Collection
#52 birdstriking ~ S/T

IMG_20200215_114901.jpg

Out of Beijing comes this psychedelic rock group.

BIRDSTRIKING entered the last great chapter into legendary BEIJING underground venue D-22’s book of lore. The band formed after college students He Fan and Wang Xinjiu met at a show by their favorite band, Carsick Cars, and thought — with timeless youthful bravado — “I could do this.” He Fan picked up the guitar and Xinjiu got behind the drum kit; the duo auditioned a string of bassists, finally settling on Zhou Nairen as the third leg of the juggernaut.

Just over two years later, Birdstriking released their self-titled debut on Maybe Mars, officially joining the label family jumpstarted by their idols — by now close friends.

Birdstriking quickly gained the band a diehard following around the country, masterfully blending tuneful hooks, calculated psych-noise meltdowns, precision rhythmic structure, and brash lyrical frankness. He Fan’s impassioned wails are youthful and politically angled, as on the album’s breakout single, “Monkey Snake”, when he chokes out: “You can control the media, but you can’t control my mind.”

Such straight talk precluded Birdstriking from receiving official release or distribution within China — it didn’t pass the central government’s censorship department, which usually succeeds in imposing self-censorship even among the nation’s most hardcore punk acts. Political posturing is not the bottom line with Birdstriking, though. More representative of the band’s electrifying live energy is album closer “One Thousand Dreams in My Wing”, a pummeling, discordant dirge-pop masterpiece simultaneously lamenting the downward spiral the kids of Birdstriking are growing up to inherit (they’re all in their early 20s), and the defiant resilience they show in dreaming up a new generation of Chinese rock’n’roll freedom.

Birdstriking, produced by P.K.14 vocalist and veteran indie scene mentor Yang Haisong, was originally released by Maybe Mars Records in February 2012. It will be officially re-issued by US-based label A Recordings on June 2, 2015, coinciding with the band’s first North American tour.

Back