What's Spinning

e4d3f65d-9540-445b-b8b7-4ddf68a5dd07.jpg

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising (2019)

Finally got this on vinyl! Beautiful, soulful music. Love this mint green color!

But holy fuck, this press is pretty weak. Gonna have to agree with what I saw @Mather say months ago. Very weak dynamics, very flat sound. There are some pops. Not at all overbearing, but slightly more than other new records I get usually (GZ excluded). It's nice to have this on vinyl, but it really doesn't sound much better than my cassette copy (which will probably end up in the PIF thread soon).

View attachment 23339

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising (2019)

Finally got this on vinyl! Beautiful, soulful music. Love this mint green color!

But holy fuck, this press is pretty weak. Gonna have to agree with what I saw @Mather say months ago. Very weak dynamics, very flat sound. There are some pops. Not at all overbearing, but slightly more than other new records I get usually (GZ excluded). It's nice to have this on vinyl, but it really doesn't sound much better than my cassette copy (which will probably end up in the PIF thread soon).
It's a travesty how bad the mastering/pressings are on that one. It could sound majestic...

Lake Street Dive - Lake Street Dive & Fun Machine

A fun release with an early album and EP in one package. I found them through the video for "I Want You Back" and truth be told none of their other stuff quite clicked in the same way but it's been fun playing this one again.

20191122_112646.jpg20191122_112709.jpg

Lake Street Dive - Lake Street Dive & Fun Machine

A fun release with an early album and EP in one package. I found them through the video for "I Want You Back" and truth be told none of their other stuff quite clicked in the same way but it's been fun playing this one again.

View attachment 23355View attachment 23354
I love Lake Street Dive. You Go Down Smooth off of Bad Self Potraits is one of my all time favorite songs. They are an absolute blast live. If you dig Blossom Dearie, you should check out this album that features their lead singer:

Elysian Spring - Glass Flowers (Le Très Jazz Club, LTJC005, France, 2018 reissue)

47D69B4E-9B84-4B31-A2C1-A84801988DA6.jpeg

It’s always nice to find an album you forgot you’d bought. This is in a lovely, heavy, oversized tip-on, close to 13x13 and doesn’t fit in my flip bins. I’d tucked it away in the Kallax and completely forgotten about it.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet With Paul Desmond ‎– Jazz At The College Of Pacific (Vogue Records , 1959 UK pressing)

I was just stacking up my Brubeck collection last night then today @Ghost and @doncornelius were chatting about him over in the jazz thread. Perfect timing as always! This is a superb live session, always been one of my favourites from Brubeck. Joe Dodge and Ron Crotty lay the bass and drums in the back, with Brubeck and Paul Desmond leading the front on piano and sax. Fantastic stuff!

IMG_0113.JPG

Cassandra Wilson - Glamoured (Blue Note, 2019 Tone Poet Series)

This was actually one that I passed on when it was released. I think the Tone Poets have been the best and most consistent series this year, but this one is really different to the others. A contemporary jazz singer. Im not overly drawn to jazz singers, but when @uvwxVinyl and @Skalap posted the dodax listing for just £18 INCLUDING postage, I decided to give it a go. Its actually a great album (my girlfriend gave it her seal of approval which is always a good sign). Soulful and mellow. Good stuff! And that completes my Tone Poet collection for the time being.

IMG_0115.JPG

Back