What's Spinning

I'll have to give this a more thorough cleaning next time, as it is a bit too noisey for this kind of music, but I like it...willing to check out the first 2 albums. A very nice pick from @Joe Mac for the N & G AOTM.

The Gloaming ‎– The Gloaming 3
Real World Records ‎– LPRW223, 2019

Cut by Dave Turner at Curve Pusher (LP2 anyway)

M3X3HZ.jpg

6ToiAR.jpg

Yes, I looked that up too - just would be nice to have some of that in the package. I feel so much vinyl these days is made as skimpy as possible on info/packaging. That used to be part of the fun - perusing the cover and notes for info before spinning the disc

Yes, I looked that up too - just would be nice to have some of that in the package. I feel so much vinyl these days is made as skimpy as possible on info/packaging. That used to be part of the fun - perusing the cover and notes for info before spinning the disc
I don’t disagree! It’s supposed to be a package. I like things like I,I or that Explosions in the Sky Record that was a puzzle the first time you got into it. I absolutely love actual liner notes. An essay on the music contained or story about the process is definitely gonna get me to explore things.

I honestly think it is all an extension of the change of the music industry after the rise of MP3s. It’s become solely a product instead of an artistic endeavor.

I don’t disagree! It’s supposed to be a package. I like things like I,I or that Explosions in the Sky Record that was a puzzle the first time you got into it. I absolutely love actual liner notes. An essay on the music contained or story about the process is definitely gonna get me to explore things.

I honestly think it is all an extension of the change of the music industry after the rise of MP3s. It’s become solely a product instead of an artistic endeavor.
No doubt you're right. I also think it's a greedy music industry that was on its knees but has now found this magic source of making money and, blow me down, but with few exceptions, they're just taking people for a ride again. I quite often feel like a sucker myself but damn it, I love music!

No doubt you're right. I also think it's a greedy music industry that was on its knees but has now found this magic source of making money and, blow me down, but with few exceptions, they're just taking people for a ride again. I quite often feel like a sucker myself but damn it, I love music!
I will say this about the WCGD stuff. While Jazz, that scene is very much a relative of the hip hop scene there and hip hop packaging has always trended minimalist. Originally, the only retailer was Fat Beats even which is an odd move for a jazz record. (Also a retailer I’m not very fond of, so thanks for the post of the record, reminding me it exists so I can find an alternative source - done and ordered).

I will say this about the WCGD stuff. While Jazz, that scene is very much a relative of the hip hop scene there and hip hop packaging has always trended minimalist. Originally, the only retailer was Fat Beats even which is an odd move for a jazz record. (Also a retailer I’m not very fond of, so thanks for the post of the record, reminding me it exists so I can find an alternative source - done and ordered).
The main thing is that the music is great, and at least to my ears as I worked this morning the pressing seemed decent.

A 2 LP compilation of obscure power pop bands from Illinois through the years 1973-1987. I ordered this from Numero - a Chicago label, but they had to ship it to me from the UK for some reason.

Various ‎– Buttons: From Champaign To Chicago
Numero Group ‎– NUM044, 2012

Cut by Wes Garland at NRP
Pressed at United

mbVqI7.jpg

xLMspG.jpg

Various ‎– 2001: A Space Odyssey (Music From The Motion Picture)

It's been years since I've watched this movie...maybe I'll try to get it in today. I have the DVD in a Kubrick box set, but I may look into seeing if an HD version is out for streaming.

EDIT - not for free anyway - but I got a documentary on it playing now.

Back