What's Spinning

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#85: Efterklang and the Danish National Chamber Orchestra - Performing Parades

IMG_20191103_190733.jpg

When I discovered Efterklang about 10 years ago, I was blown away by their blend of art rock, post rock, folk music and electronica. Their debut LP, Tripper, was particularly influential in the development of my music taste at the time, but Performing Parades was a close second. I don't listen to them as often now, but this album still has some beautiful tunes, lush arrangements and passionate performances. The closer "Cutting Ice into Snow" is still one of the most beautiful depictions of the joy of living I have ever heard in a song.

Pedrinho - Aleluia, 1970s OG

There have been several great compilations of Cabo Verde recently on Analog Africa and Ostinato, but there is so much incredible music from this small group of islands. This is the first Cabo Verde album I got about a decade ago and it's still one of my favourites. It got a re-release last year and it's well worth a listen - it's pretty funky stuff (but his rarer Nhōs Dêxa De Contra Mintira is funkier) but it's just got some great tunes. And a bonus is to try to get as many other Cabo Verde albums pictured behind him on the cover (I think I've only got 3 or 4). Tracks on YouTube including this and my girlfriend's favourite, which is a slow one.

20191106_193055.jpg

Thelonious Monk ‎– The Unique Thelonious Monk (Riverside, 1959 mono pressing)

I could probably write an essay on this album alone, but I will give you guys the condensed version. This is the 2nd pressing which has a change in cover art. After a 2-year tenure with Prestige Records, Riverside bought Monks contract for less than $200 and the agreement that Monk would release 2 albums of standards in order to change the publics impression of him (he wasnt overly like at the time because of his unique style). This is the 2nd album and after its initial release, the head of Publishing decided to push sales by releasing sheets of fake stamps with Monks face on them as promotional items, and also changed the cover art of the album to reflect it. The campaign was great but a load of the stamps started getting used and caused havoc with the postal service.

IMG_9636.JPG

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#86: Duke Ellington - Meets Coleman Hawkins

IMG_20191104_061928.jpg

I haven't really delved into Duke, but this album shows me I'm missing a whole lot. It may be the fact that the band on this record is a bit smaller than his usual groups, or the very-different-yet-equally-great soloists, but this record clicked with me on the first spin. Any other entry point records y’all would suggest for someone who is used to small combos in Jazz?

Back