What's Spinning

The agutierrezb 2019 record collection challenge

So I've decided to embark on my own personal challenge, which consists of listening every record in my collection before the end of the year. My record collection is not that big -only ~250-, but I still feel like there are a bunch of records I don't give enough attention to, while still adding more titles to my shelves.

For this reason I've set a couple of rules in order to play every record at least once before December 31st: I'll play at least one record a day, going from front to back in the way I have them sorted in my shelf. I can play a different record (i.e. Not the next one in alphabetical order) if I feel like listening to something else in any given moment, but at least one of the records I spin in the day has to be the LP in turn.

I didn't take pictures for the first two days, but I'll try to document the process from here on, so I'll be posting daily on this thread. Wish me luck!
#66: Miles Davis - Sorcerer

IMG_20191015_062807.jpg

Second Quintet Miles is my favorite Miles. Don't get me wrong, I love the collaborations with Gil Evans, the 1st quintet records, and all the kinds of fusions that came after the 2nd quintet, but to me, this era is the crown jewel of Miles discography, and this record is, in my view, the best representation (thought not the best) of the group's sound.

Alexander Taylor ‎– Scream, Queen! My Nightmare On Elm Street - The Soundtrack
1984 Publishing ‎– 1984-004, 2019

Limited to 100 with included print signed by Mark Patton

Cut by Dave Polster at Well Made Music

KSKdTC.jpg

mHNxir.jpg

kVuYaT.jpg

Seems they are still touring this movie around, so it's not up to stream anywhere.

Getting to another in the backlog - it's been sitting here since it was released.

Thom Yorke ‎– Anima
XL Recordings ‎– XL987LP, 2019

Cut by Barry "BAZZA" Grint at Alchemy
Pressed at GZ

MOvpnl.jpg

rELkQg.jpg

Sidenote - I got this from Amazon US back when it was released, Discogs didn't have it, so it is now entered....not real sure why this wasn't there already.

This one does have XL987LP-A¹//B¹ and such in the runouts, where the Optimal pressing has A²//B² and no "BAZZA" - so maybe this one needed to be recut.

It sounds pretty good to me.

Wayne Shorter - Super Nova
Featuring, among an all-star cast if jazz fusion musicians if the time, Chick Corea on drums and vibes but no keyboards. Recorded just a couple weeks after Bitches Brew. I think I may prefer this, but let's find out...
View attachment 19940
Turns out...hell no I don't prefer Super Nova to Bitches Brew! In fact, this has never sounded better to me. I think listening to these two back to back really works.
20191016_210439.jpg

Back