What's Spinning

The Collection Playthrough

(sorry, almost caught up!)

189 - Kacey Musgraves - Star Crossed

First off, boo to this packaging. The broken heart opening fold is a cool idea but a big pain to store. Anyway, album is growing on me a lot. I think it's suffering a bit from what we saw with Lorde this year and many artists in the past where fans expected something and the artist was on a different path. Some really strong, heartfelt song writing in there with some real edge. I wonder if the tide will turn a bit after her SNL appearance

Sarah Jarosz Playthrough (Full Lengths)

190 - Follow Me Down
191 - Build Me Up From Bones
192 - Undercurrent
193 - World on the Ground
194 - Blue Heron Suite

I've waxed poetic on Sarah enough so I won't burden y'all with my massive praise for her. I'll just say that I appreciated Undercurrent a lot more on this playthrough than I historically have. It's a very brave, darker album for her that really does close strong which is something that you can't quite say on a couple other releases. Please Sarah, release the debut. :)

I have also seen several folks here take the dive on Sarah from what I and others have posted and rarely regretted it. Outside of Follow Me Down, the latter four are all reasonably available, so I do encourage everyone to give her a try. Build Me Up From Bones was her breakout with some real top-notch songs, Undercurrent is moodier and more mature, and World on the Ground is just a flat great album. Blue Heron Suite is a great complementary piece to her earlier work.

PXL_20211004_150341639.jpg

Smooth and greasy organ from Pittsburgh organist Bill Heid. Peter Bernstein on guitar.

81Di7nGwShL._SL1425_.jpg

Last edited:
Ron Carter - Golden Striker: Live At Theaterstübchen, Kassel (In+Out Records, 2021 RSD Limited Signed Pressing)

I think I actually prefer his 2020 RSD release, Foursight - Stockholm, but this one is still an incredible session.

View attachment 113997
Incredible session!, I have streamed the Stockholm session, I would say I like this one better, but they are both great! Great to hear Ms. Rosnes.

Back