What's Spinning

Another one of Dusty's finest moments.

It's just a little ol' song about playing records. Right?

I want your hi fi mama, won't you let me play it tonight?
I want your hi fi mama, won't you let me play it tonight?
I put the needle in the groove, baby while you douse the lights
I play it on your dresser, play it upside your wall
I play it in your kitchen, even play it in your hall
I play it anywhere you want it, any old time at all
Hi fi, lo fi, no fi's just fine with me
Hi fi, lo fi, no fi's just fine with me
And if you want to give me stereo first give me Vitamin E
I got your name and your number

ZZ Top - Degüello

20210729_001912.jpg

Here is a couple nice videos on this one I had bookmarked. I have hemmed and hawed about the recording quality to be honest. Thoughts ?

Thanks for these!

First of all, I think you have to go into any Resonance Records release with the understanding that these tapes are typically amateur recordings from live sessions. With a few exeptions, they aren't high-quality studio recordings (and even the ones that are typically have amateur recordings alongside them - ie Sonny Rollins - Rollins In Holland). That isn't to say that Resonance doesn't do a good job with them as I personally think they do, but if the source material is limited there is only so much that anyone can do.

As with the majority of Resonance releases, I don't think a lot of people fully appreciate the statement above and as such there is always complaints about the quality of the audio. As much as I love audiophile AAA releases, I also really enjoy these unreleased live recordings - in some cases more so - and the Wes Montgomery definitely falls in the latter.

The set is made up of several live sessions which to my ears becomes progressively worse in terms of the recording quality (although I was cooking at the same time so didn't give it my undivided attention). It isnt unlistenable but it's certainly not super high quality, especially by the end session. If you want to hear super early examples of Montgomery's playing (including his first-ever recorded blues number) then it's a fantastic opportunity to do so. The live chatter is something that I actually don't mind in live recordings and think it adds to the buzz.

The set itself is stellar, nice gatefold, 2 heavy records mastered by Bernie Grundman and pressed at RTI, and a really comprehensive booklet of photos, essays and interviews (just think of any other Resonance release and its a similar layout).

I actually bought this for £13 in total so it was well worth the money there, but I'm not convinced it was worth the full RSD price it no doubt demanded upon its release. Having said that, I tend to buy all Resonance releases anyway so I'm a bit of a hypocrite in that sense. Even though they are expensive I still enjoy them.

Last edited:
John Coltrane - Offering: Live at Temple University

E7bH43bWUAcIJwx.jpg
Ooooh speaking of Resonance. How is this? Its been on my want list for a while now.

Back