What's Spinning

Happy birthday Willie Dixon.

Yes sir - you most definitely are the blues.

What an incredible songwriting output. And folks forget what a bad ass bassist he was. Larry Graham seems to get credit for inventing slap bass but this clip is a bit contradictory.

Thanks for everything, Willie.

Willie Dixon - I Am The Blues

20200701_031048.jpg

Okay, @Thackeraye, here's some more spins for you. Today's edition is called "they came in the mail yesterday and the kids were at camp this morning."

View attachment 104309

View attachment 104310

View attachment 104311
Loving this, many thanks!

1) Johnathan Richman - a bit of a gap with me. I know the name, but not much else. My local was playing something (maybe this) the last time I was in and I liked it. Currently streaming I, Johnathan. It's good.
2) Pains. I think I have an MP3 of this, but I'm not sure. My memory seems to think this was a bit Belle & Sebastian-like?
3) GBV. Only really dabbled. Controversially, I really like Mag Earwhig!, but I need the courage to dive into the rest. The Creamy version of Choking Tara is perfect. Maybe ignore the visuals on the video below, but the music is phenomenally good.

Loving this, many thanks!

1) Johnathan Richman - a bit of a gap with me. I know the name, but not much else. My local was playing something (maybe this) the last time I was in and I liked it. Currently streaming I, Johnathan. It's good.
2) Pains. I think I have an MP3 of this, but I'm not sure. My memory seems to think this was a bit Belle & Sebastian-like?
3) GBV. Only really dabbled. Controversially, I really like Mag Earwhig!, but I need the courage to dive into the rest. The Creamy version of Choking Tara is perfect. Maybe ignore the visuals on the video below, but the music is phenomenally good.

Richman has been growing on me for a few years. I think you made a good call to stream I Jonathan, that is a great intro to his music. Usually when I bring up his name with people who don't know who he is, they usually pretend to know who he is after I remind them about the movie There's Something About Mary.

Pains first two albums are absolute musts for me, and the Belle & Sebastian connection may not be too far off... but more like B&S mixed through My Bloody Valentine and Jesus & Mary Chain. A childhood friend was the drummer for this band and, if I am being honest, I think his his other bands (Ice Choir, Depreciation Guild) blow everything Kip has done since 2011 out of the water.

GBV... out of 30+ studio albums I am only missing one on vinyl (Universal Truths & Cycles), and I am a bit weird according to other fans as to my personal favorite albums (Under the Bushes Under the Stars, Earthquake Glue, and Space Gun). They have more hard-to-find LP's, but this was a grail for me. It's exactly the album I would pull out to have a beer with someone who has never really listened to them.

Let me know if there's any music yr missing from yr turntable, I can spin something like that next!

Back