What's Spinning

#1461-1474

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou x 8
Lulus Band x 3
The Small Faces - Lazy Sunday / Itchycoo Park

Some of the absolute best songs ever made by Poly-Rythmo here, 3 crackers from Kenya, and two of my favourite singles from the 60s including surely the finest ever lyric containing the word "lumbago". A great evening of music. (Meant to post this last night but fell asleep...)

20210418_204527.jpg

Did I miss this?! Last one I want of theirs. Edit: Looks like I did. 😪
Back up!

Michael Garrick Sextet - Promises (Argo, 1965 First Mono Pressing)

I have been on a deep dive of classic British jazz lately. It was a sub-genre that I completely missed for years but there is a wealth of incredible albums. Despite living in the UK, its still incredibly tricky to find original pressings and they often go for crazy money when they do pop up. Thank god for streaming!!
IMG_9057 2.JPG

This one's kind of wild. Snagged this one off of Reddit after I gave a quick listen to the Spotify stream and had to have it for the novelty. Just a bizarre and fun album of mostly-definitely-not-approved covers, an Elvis impersonation or 100, and a Beatles medley all packaged together. The Dean Reed story has occupied my mind for the past few days, it's a fascinating throw back. Red Elvis is a particularly appropriate nickname for him.

Dean Reed - Rock'n'Roll Country Romantic

PXL_20210419_200054188.MP.jpg

Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet

EzX8QZpVgAAadd7.jpg

On to one of the best live albums ever:

Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club Hamburg

"Words cannot describe — cannot contain — the performance captured on Live at the Star Club, Hamburg, an album that contains the very essence of rock & roll...Live at the Star Club is extraordinary - the purest, hardest rock & roll ever committed to record...He sounds possessed, hitting the keys so hard it sounds like they'll break, and rocking harder than anybody had before or since. Compared to this, thrash metal sounds tame, the Stooges sound constrained, hardcore punk seems neutered, and the Sex Pistols sound like wimps." - Allmusic.com

20210419_225715.jpg

Back