What's Spinning

Day 20 of Dec

20 Christmas Carols

In some weird, almost alternative, reality I used to be a chorister despite not really having a musical bone in my body. Still, this album speaks to me deeply and those few short childhood years of looking ridiculous on Sundays. That said, it got heavily scratched by a 3 year old last year so it ain't the best listening experience on the b-side.

20201219_122815.jpg

4D0661A8-BADB-45D9-B76F-497CB8CD921A.jpeg
Watching the sun rise with The Arksestra

I don’t think I’m alone when saying Marshal Allen is a treasure and at 96 still carrying Sun Ra’s torch. This album IMO is everything Sun Ra was/is/and will be.

At 14 I heard Sun Ra for the first time, space is the place, to be exact. My very first girlfriend’s father was on a Sun Ra email mailing list in the mid 90s. He said “You know Thurston Moore posts on this Sun Ra mailing list, you should check him out!” Being obsessed with anything Sonic Youth related so of course I had to give Sun Ra a chance, and well, as the once great ESP Disk motto was...I never heard such sounds in my life!

Now At 38 I’m watching the the morning start with Sun Ra playing, even if he’s on another planet...

Fred Mollin ‎– Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Waxwork Records ‎– WW13.8, 2020

Subscriber variant - The regular release is on Green Marble (NYC Grime) and Pink Marble (Hot Pink Flying V), this is a variation of those on a Green Marble with some sort of Yellow Splatter effect - and a Pink marble with White Splatter effect.

Cut by Adam Gonsalves at Telegraph Mastering

ntQuXS.jpg

Ko7FPn.jpg

EUCWxo.jpg

88HHl9.jpg

Sub variant also came with a slip-mat.

3yzb6X.jpg

Back