What's Spinning

Guys! I am playing a record! Surpriiiise ! This is one of the three records @gregathon gave me for Secret Santa. According to Mr Bongo Surprise Chef are Coburg’s cinematic soul journeymen, pushing moody shades of instrumental jazz-funk with a DIY mentality. The centrepiece of the College Of Knowledge Records roster, Surprise Chef’s output reflects a meticulous education of 1970’s soul, touching on the legacies of composer/producers David Axelrod & Isaac Hayes, with cues also taken from the catalogues of Daptone and Truth & Soul.

There are indeed Daptone moments but I can hear some Khruangbin kind of music as well but with an Australian (the keys sometimes remind me of Montero, another Australian artist) more than an Asian touch. It's a great instrumental album and definitely a record I'll play more than once. Favorite song after a first spin: Leave It. Don't Take It.

IMG_20201205_094258.jpg

Then comes the Olympians. Second of three @gregathon Secret Santa gifts. If you don't know the band, I am sure you'll know some of these guys or the bands they play in: Aaron Johnson (Antibalas), Dave Guy (Tonight Show Band, The Dap-Kings,) Leon Michels (The Arcs, Lee Fields, El Michels Affair,) Nicholas Movshon (The Arcs, Lee Fields, El Michels Affair,) Homer Steinweiss (The Dap-Kings, The Arcs), Michael Leonhart (Musical Director for Steely Dan), Neal Sugarman (The Dap-Kings, Sugarman 3), Evan Pazner (Lee Fields), and the maniacal wizardry of Toby Pazner. It's hard to have so many great musicians playing on one album but it happens with every single Dapton release.

For the good but certainly not for the bad, I am not surprised by this album. It sounds Daptone from start to end and it can only be a positive thing. For once, drums and brass section are not too much on the front of the music (which is not a bad thing but that is frequent on Daptone releases) and it gives a more balanced music. Favorite song after a first spin: Mars.

IMG_20201205_102458.jpg

Today is a day to celebrate for me... my Jazz collection reached the magical number of 100 records...
I actually planned for Nr. 100 to be a Blue Note OG, but those are stuck in the USPS network for more then a month now.

So my first Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series vinyl arrived today... and it sounds amazing :love: 🎹 🥁 🎷

MyCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy

mccoy1.jpg
mccoy2.jpg

Reportedly not recorded in 1974 and maybe not in Sheffield. Where and when this was recorded is not known.
Original 1990 release was not sanctioned by the band.

That being said, it's a pretty good live show that doesn't sound too bad.

Gong ‎– Live! At Sheffield 1974
Culture Factory USA, Inc./Mantra ‎– 783177, 1990/2020

VebSUo.jpg

krle2F.jpg

Available from AS for $35. It's in my wishlist for some tine now. It's not a 2LP though, so may be different. Sam record, Numbered, limited edition, Kevin Gray and pressed at QRP.
Thelonious Monk - Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 (Sam Records, 2017 Limited Box Set Pressing)

This is a superb sounding 2lp box set from Sam records in France. The booklet that comes with it is essentially a book, full of interesting bits. Not sure if this is sold out but it should certainly appeal to a lot of folk here.

View attachment 78839

Available from AS for $35. It's in my wishlist for some tine now. It's not a 2LP though, so may be different. Sam record, Numbered, limited edition, Kevin Gray and pressed at QRP.
Just looked and there appears to be 2 versions, the 2lp box set and a 1lp standard release. The music on here is beautiful, really fantastic.

Back