What's Spinning

View attachment 54313
Look Mexico - This is Animal Music

2000's Emo revival stuff. One of the first ones to do it.

View attachment 54314
The Chats - High Risk Behavior

Just really good snotty punk rock from Australia. Nothing serious about it in tone. Just young guys singing about how mundane life can be.
That color effect on Look Mexico is pretty cool :)

Ray Lamontagne- Ouroboros

Someone on the old board insisted I buy this. I love it. Is the rest of his stuff like this? If so, I’ll buy it.

View attachment 51337

I think Ray's discography is one of the most impressive for a solo artist in the last 20 years. He consistently makes excellent music, but has worked with many different producers, each of which brings out something new in him and alters his sound to fit the individual project. This album was produced by Jim James of MMJ. For me, Ouroboros is a bit down on my list of his faves, but still excellent songwriting with some long, slow jams.

Another of his, Supernova, was produced by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys. You can hear Dan's influence immediately and the title track is excellent.

My favorite Ray record is God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise - very alt-country akin to Ryan Adams records with the Cardinals.

His first 3-4 may be his strongest. Then he just released his latest record, Monovision, last week. Seems like he's come full circle back close to his original sound, but I need to give it another listen.

Cory Wong & Metropole Orkest ‎– Live In Amsterdam

🎸

My first exposure to Cory Wong and am blown away. Brilliant record, sounds fantastic. Thankful for the heads up, I'll be coming back to it a number of times.

20200629_171338-01gxk5h.jpeg

20200629_184406-01ngkwi.jpeg

Last edited:
The National - High Violet (10th Anniversary Expanded Edition) (4AD, 2020 Cherry Tree Exclusive Limited to 750 Copies)

Finally got around to listening to this amazing set. To begin with I was a bit annoyed that I rushed in and bought this over the VMP copy, but having seen the ones arrive with such a disparity between the mock-up and final product I am actually glad with this decision. I am not a fan of clear vinyl, and the clear/violet spilt would have annoyed me, but luckily I was able to swoop in and get the white/violet split before they all sold out. It sounds fantastic to me (although I never had the standard pressing) and the music is superb, it might just be my favourite from them.

IMG_9215.JPG

Back