What's Spinning

My collection #583-584

Frente Cumbiero meets Mad Professor
Wojtek Mazolewski Quintet - Polka

Frente Cumbiero is modern Colombian music with a dub version for the second record but it's crazy to see how much it goes for now on Discogs - I think it's ok but not $150 OK! And Polka is more fabulous Polish jazz, they have a really great local scene.

20200612_081349.jpg

20200612_114039.jpg

Ugh, jealous of this! This is pretty much my number one whale at this point.

Is $30 reasonable?
I think there is still a Guernica issue or two on Discogs for about that.
And the Guernica pressings come with a bonus 7-inch featuring the CD track "Brain Tag" and two b-sides.
I'd buy it myself, but I just pulled the trigger on a British copy of Lamprey.

Is $30 reasonable?
I think there is still a Guernica issue or two on Discogs for about that.
And the Guernica pressings come with a bonus 7-inch featuring the CD track "Brain Tag" and two b-sides.
I'd buy it myself, but I just pulled the trigger on a British copy of Lamprey.

Huh, I never noticed that the UK pressings were a lot more reasonable. I’ve always looked at the Matador pressing. Thanks, I’ll add Guernica pressing to my wantlist and see what comes up. Is the Guernica what you have?

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear (Bella Union, 2015 First 45rpm Pressing)

Got to admit that I don't get the hype around this album or musician. I picked this copy up super cheap ages ago and people were constantly raving about him. I've listened to it a few times now and......I just don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something, but it just doesn't seem to connect with me unfortunately.

IMG_8036.JPG

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear (Bella Union, 2015 First 45rpm Pressing)

Got to admit that I don't get the hype around this album or musician. I picked this copy up super cheap ages ago and people were constantly raving about him. I've listened to it a few times now and......I just don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something, but it just doesn't seem to connect with me unfortunately.

View attachment 51626
To each his own. I enjoy his humorous sardonic lyrics and he has an ear for creating a fine Pop melody. While obviously not a perfect comparison he reminds me a bit of 1970s troubadours (Warren Zevon, Randy Newman, Louden Wainwright, etc..) might be your expectation were a bit too high. I was hugely skeptical at first especially since I really didn’t enjoy the overly sincere music he had released under the J. Tillman moniker previously, I didn’t give Fear Fun a go at all; but after catching “The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apt.” on the radio while sitting in traffic I was sold, the lyrics actually made me laugh out loud.

Back