What Generations Are Buying What?

My discogs sales have bottomed out completely and it sounds like I aint they only one. 30% tax for some european customers not helping...

Was at a record store today and vendor had just thrown away 1,000 LP's. "Paul Anka, Ventures, Elvis..."

As an ex-vendor, I can understand. You just get sick of lookign at that same stuff languishing unloved in the dollar bin for years on end.

Got me thinking about generational changes in music. Who is listening to what? The oldies that bought the Ventures records clearly aint buying records any more. Those people are literally dying. What do kids in their 20's buy? They should be the goddamn peak music consumers... but they aint buying, theyre listening to a shitty stream of 5% of the actual song on youtube via their stupid fucking phones?

As an old git in his 50's, my wheelhouse was the 90's. COWS. STEEL POLE BATHTUB. UNSANE. FUGAZI. You know, the good shit. What about people now in their 30's? They were in elementary school then. Do they buy STEEL POLE BATHTUB records? I don't think they do... that 90's cohort of bands are picked up by gits in their 50's aren't they. Where am I going with this post? I dont know. It just weirded me out that vendor dude chucked away 1,000 lp's that 15, 10, 5 years ago someone wouldve surely wanted to buy. I wonder if the deadening of online sales (discogs) is linked to this generational shift as well and not just stupid phones and stupid youtube. They tell us "vinyl record sales are up" worldwide. Really? Let me guess, the dinosaurs, Zep, Beatles, Stones. Is this tiny clutch of old git bands the only ones that have traversed across generations to young people's ears?

--Confused of Onehunga.

My discogs sales have bottomed out completely and it sounds like I aint they only one. 30% tax for some european customers not helping...

Was at a record store today and vendor had just thrown away 1,000 LP's. "Paul Anka, Ventures, Elvis..."

As an ex-vendor, I can understand. You just get sick of lookign at that same stuff languishing unloved in the dollar bin for years on end.

Got me thinking about generational changes in music. Who is listening to what? The oldies that bought the Ventures records clearly aint buying records any more. Those people are literally dying. What do kids in their 20's buy? They should be the goddamn peak music consumers... but they aint buying, theyre listening to a shitty stream of 5% of the actual song on youtube via their stupid fucking phones?

As an old git in his 50's, my wheelhouse was the 90's. COWS. STEEL POLE BATHTUB. UNSANE. FUGAZI. You know, the good shit. What about people now in their 30's? They were in elementary school then. Do they buy STEEL POLE BATHTUB records? I don't think they do... that 90's cohort of bands are picked up by gits in their 50's aren't they. Where am I going with this post? I dont know. It just weirded me out that vendor dude chucked away 1,000 lp's that 15, 10, 5 years ago someone wouldve surely wanted to buy. I wonder if the deadening of online sales (discogs) is linked to this generational shift as well and not just stupid phones and stupid youtube. They tell us "vinyl record sales are up" worldwide. Really? Let me guess, the dinosaurs, Zep, Beatles, Stones. Is this tiny clutch of old git bands the only ones that have traversed across generations to young people's ears?

--Confused of Onehunga.
Its an interesting one for sure.

I'm at the end of my 20's now and started buying records when I was 19. Back then I imagine I bought the same as what 19-year-olds with record players buy now, Fleetwood Mac, Bowie, Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd, etc. I think these kinds of classic artists (and more) tend to be the staples associated with vinyl. The difference now compared to when I was 19 is that contemporary records ARE being released on vinyl, so any chart-toppers are also likely making their way into teenage/early 20's collections. In fact, I just jumped onto the Official Vinyl Albums chart, and it's a mix of George Harrison and Brian May (both have reissues out) alongside Billie Elish and Harry Styles.

Vinyl as a whole is having such a boom at the moment that certain genres of music have completely flipped in terms of value. Jazz is a key example with standard affordable releases now selling for record-breaking, eye-watering amounts. The ones that have always been expensive are now going for even higher amounts. Lee Morgan's The Cooker was always a pricey record but the last 2 that sold (on Popsike anyway) went for $850 and $1000. Insane prices. Last night a copy of Pete La Roca's 'Basra' was sold on eBay. The cover was pretty trashed and the description of the record itself was "Good , wear. Lots of scuffs and scratches", yet it sold for £176.99. You have to wonder who is paying this sort of price for a record that likely won't sound great.

I would also add that in recent years companies have applied the concept of limitedness to the hobby. This has really screwed everything up in my opinion and has brought in a whole new crowd of buyers. I imagine you would be told you were crazy if you told someone a couple of decades ago that you bought vinyl and purposely never opened or listened to it. Nowadays it's the norm in certain circles. It's not about the music, it's about the physical element. I imagine this is linked more to the younger crowds compared to the older folk who were brought up buying vinyl, but thats just a hunch on my part.

I would also add that in recent years companies have applied the concept of limitedness to the hobby. This has really screwed everything up in my opinion and has brought in a whole new crowd of buyers. I imagine you would be told you were crazy if you told someone a couple of decades ago that you bought vinyl and purposely never opened or listened to it. Nowadays it's the norm in certain circles.
This is the key problem. "Vinyl" seems to stand for more than one hobby. Some people buy vinyl because it's a fun medium to use for listening to music. Others enjoy the thrill of collecting the physical item and seeing it appreciate in value. Of course there is a huge overlap between those two groups. But the latter group has grown significantly over the past few years, aided by a sense of scarcity manufactured by the industry itself. And the hobby is a lot less fun as a result.

Back to the OP, I am also fascinated by big-picture shifting tastes. I remember back in the old message board when I was flabbergasted to learn that a lot of people listen to Gorillaz (a group I had written off as "a one-hit wonder side project by the guy from Blur"). As we grow older and our tastes and friendship grow more insular, it's easy to lose sight of what other people are into. And then, before you know it, your collection of Paul Anka and Glenn Miller and Elvis Presley records suddenly has no takers, even for free.

Insofar as the glut of record store undesirables, you also have to take into account for a lot of those years records were the only medium, so even the boring titles were ubiquitous. Paw around a used CD section sometime and your Paul Anka quickly gets replaced by Ace of Base and Sugar Ray albums collecting dust because CD was the dominant medium at the surge of those.

I’m sure there’s a cassette analogue too but I try not to think about them because I have PTSD from too many hours spent untangling car stereos and respooling with bic pens.

--Confused of Onehunga.
Interesting. I am in the 50s Old Git group as well. Started buying records in the early 80s and was at my peak of purchasing vinyl between 1988 and 1995 probably. Sold off a lot lot early Sub Pop and AmRep stuff in the late 90s to pay off my student loans and so I could start saving to buy a home.

The fetishisation of collecting vinyl the last few years has been mind boggling and I think a lot of it is our cohort and maybe a little younger. I see it here even when people are clamouring for a MoFi greatest hits record. I am not sure if people actually think they will be financing their retirement with selling off their collection 20 years down the road or that is how they convince themselves of their hobby is actually an investment.

Now get off my lawn you damn punks!!

Appreciate this thread.

Just one additional data point: I find it disturbing on r/VinylCollectors, (when presumably most younger people?) sell albums with descriptions "still sealed" or "opened but never listened" or "listened to once." What made you buy this album, then?

I collect records. But I collect records to LISTEN TO THEM. Sure, on occasion I'll listen an LP a few times and decide it's not for me. Or a price will get ridiculous and I'll sell the album if someone wants to pay $130 so then I can buy ten others I want instead.

But that's not what I think is going on among a younger generation of record buyers. Is there some sort of conspicuous consumption then flip mentality happening that's satisfying to them?

Hmm I'm not sure "the kids" are the problem. I think the problem is the combination of people (of any given age) with too much disposable income and an industry that is intentionally creating a sense of scarcity (I get that pressing plants are backlogged; what I'm referring to is the idea of FOMO-inducing "limited pressings").

Hmm I'm not sure "the kids" are the problem. I think the problem is the combination of people (of any given age) with too much disposable income and an industry that is intentionally creating a sense of scarcity (I get that pressing plants are backlogged; what I'm referring to is the idea of FOMO-inducing "limited pressings").

As with most things where grumpy old white men blame “the kids” it’s generally themselves that are the ones at fault.

Last edited:
I mean, if you think vinyl is anything but a luxury item right now, you’re probably incorrect. It’s expensive and from a demographic standpoint, you’ve got that emerging spender demographic (the mystical 18-35) with less disposable income and more competing things to spend on. I mean, it’s that cartoon about “on one hand it’s expensive and on the other it’s inconvenient” as truth. I love my records, but I’m not kidding myself about it being a luxury hobby.

There’s also a novelty wall-hang demographic out there, but I’m not sure they’re eating too far into the numbers (though a few years back a rando study out of the UK alleged 20% of new vinyl purchasers didn’t actually own a turntable so YMMV).

Yeah, point taken. Maybe those people on reddit are all in their 40s-50s? Or a mix of ages? I'm perplexed by the phenomenon but should not have jumped to the conclusion that this is a generational thing.

I think what you’ll find is that younger people is that they are more open and impressionable and will try on more musical hats to see what fits. I remember buying all sorts of random shit in my 20s. Some of it will be real obvious on first listen that you don’t like it and you’ll look to move it on.

Edit: But I also agree with @Corycm entirely that younger age groups are hugely priced out of the new vinyl market right now.

Hell I’m well into my 30s and got suckered in by the 1 in 10 fire picks in VMP classics and by the time I came to my senses had a pile of jazz that I hated, had only played once and was looking to flog on cogs!

The heating up of the market and the crazy hoovering of limited stuff, particularly when it’s audiophile seems mostly to be men 35-60 in my experience.

Yeah, point taken. Maybe those people on reddit are all in their 40s-50s? Or a mix of ages? I'm perplexed by the phenomenon but should not have jumped to the conclusion that this is a generational thing.
I think in a lot of cases it is more of people taking on the trappings of being a vinyl dealer. Sorry but if you opened the record it is used. Might be NM and only played once but that is reality.

I was in my local where the owner and a customer were talking about this and the owner had a fascinating take on younger buyers. On a wider scale, they are targeting specific records as opposed to browsing and bin diving as prior generations tended to do. I think you can point to a lot of things for the reason - much easier to speculate, ease of trying before buying, curated tastes via online influences, physical media representing a different experience than it did generations ago, etc. My main thought on this is that while we may have a resurgence, evolutions in technology and changes in the reasons for collecting (and ease in selling and buying vinyl) will shift priorities.

I also think for younger collectors it isn’t just cost…it is space. Property and room is scarce and younger generations move a lot. I own my place and am, for my tastes, maxed out on space I want to dedicate to vinyl. I have put down numerous, quality bargain bin albums as space is my currency.

Like Elvis..l have two Elvis albums. I definitely don’t need more. If there’s Elvis I am clamoring to hear outside of the GH and Xmas I have, I can very easily stream it and if I need it on vinyl…it’s a Discogs order away. Very different than the past.

Last edited:
I also think for younger collectors it isn’t just cost…it is space
As one in my mid 20s, this is very true and is a good part of what I decide to get and what I don't.

I would say the main factor for me is time. I'm a graduate student, and I don't have a lot of free time to have any true "listening sessions" with records. This means that I try to choose albums that I can listen to while doing other tasks. As examples, when I need to clean, I'll try to put on something fun and upbeat, so rap/hip-hop, pop, or new wave stuff based on what I own. Or, when I cook, I'll put some jazz or some types of classic rock on because I can listen intently to its more instrumental nature without getting distracted so I don't burn the apartment down.

All this is to say this limits what I want to own. I like indie rock for streaming because I have other times where I can focus on lyricism, but I tend not to own many "complicated" albums or those that demand deep listens on vinyl because I just don't have the capacity to truly appreciate what I am listening to a lot of the time.

In response to the OP, I feel like my generation has a dearth of people who appreciate the crooner and early rock pioneers, basically anything pre-1960s. In all honesty, I don't see the appeal of a lot of these albums, as I associate them with a hit followed by 10 songs of filler. I usually go for compilations of these types of artists, i.e., Elvis, Dean Martin, etc.

To pile on to jackduff’s great post, I have a couple other theories to think on.
of varying validity.

First, it’s probably important to recognize the entry level cost on all of this and how that interacts with record utilization. We are conditioned to think of all of this in record cost. $2 Elvis vs $40 Lorde vs $125 One Step. I’d argue that the hardware is the much bigger barrier and dictates usage. My set up is modest and ran me about $500. Most younger listeners are probably on Crosleys or lower level AT tables. That likely means sound quality isn’t nearly as strong as an incentive since these setups aren’t likely to bring value to those acquisitions. I have a few high cost records I didn’t open because my old, one in all Crosley type table might hurt them. I think a lot of younger buyers may not even have a table but are buying in anticipation to support their favorite musicians. They are not in the Ventures market and probably never will be. They buy in part for fan credibility. I do not think this is invalid either.

Second, we should not ignore internet hype culture. I think of Saba. I heard nothing but people freaking out over Saba on Reddit, in threads here, on Twitter, etc. When his repress was announced I planned to buy it on the hype but decided to listen first. Didn’t like it. I think social media and constant curation via the web both broadens younger generational exposure but also strongly excludes artists who don’t fall into the shallow pool if you will. It’s also much more self focused, which incentivizes narrower, deeper self curation in response to the forces broadening the pool. This is some of the r/vinylcollectors audience too, in many ways the best method could be to rent records in a sense. It’s a lot easier to justify buying a record if you can easily resell it later for a profit…

Third, this is likely less of a factor, but vinyl marketplaces severely discourage exploration. Discogs is an abject nightmare if you want new buyers for old records. eBay is even worse. Reddit is self selecting. The most highly trafficked record stores don’t carry used records or organize them in a fashion which doesn’t lead buyers to new to them / recommended goodies. I also think the vinyl generational gap (1992 to 2010 or so) has a much bigger impact on this than anyone cares to admit. The bridge is gone.

And then, before you know it, your collection of Paul Anka and Glenn Miller and Elvis Presley records suddenly has no takers, even for free.
It really fascinates me to wonder where the records of smaller indie bands I loved (TAR, JAWBREAKER etc) will be 10, 20 years from now. Will they be like, say, the "nothing" bands of the 1960's, unloved and forgotten?
I think a lot of it is our cohort and maybe a little younger.
I assumed it was us old gits "filling in the gaps" from our youth when we were too broke to buy all the stuff we wanted. Which got me thinking... if I ain't going to buy that JESUS LIZARD repress then who the hell is?
Second, we should not ignore internet hype culture.
This makes me think... what does the 20 year old outsider/weirdo do? The younger version of me who wants to hear the f-ed up punk shit? We were in the minority back then, but now I'm guessing minority of the minority.

What I'm really getting at is that once I die who will continue to love THE JESUS LIZARD?

Won't someone please think of THE JESUS LIZARD for once?

Appreciate this thread.

Just one additional data point: I find it disturbing on r/VinylCollectors, (when presumably most younger people?) sell albums with descriptions "still sealed" or "opened but never listened" or "listened to once." What made you buy this album, then?

I collect records. But I collect records to LISTEN TO THEM. Sure, on occasion I'll listen an LP a few times and decide it's not for me. Or a price will get ridiculous and I'll sell the album if someone wants to pay $130 so then I can buy ten others I want instead.

But that's not what I think is going on among a younger generation of record buyers. Is there some sort of conspicuous consumption then flip mentality happening that's satisfying to them?

As someone guilty of doing this, I can answer this question from my perspective.

I buy WAY too many records. I’m OCD and also get FOMO and am also restricted by time. I buy a record, I open it because I want to look at it, and also to make sure there aren’t any issues. Then it goes on the shelf. Will I spin it? Depends. All this being said, I am MUCH more selective with what I buy lately.

--Confused of Onehunga.

So… what’s the deal with Steel Pole Bathtub? I’ve come across a collection full of “the good shit” you described, including two of their albums. I’m trying to be judicious about what I buy (it’s the seller’s dead brother’s collection, so I don’t want to take advantage of them with too lowball of an offer), but I am also excited to explore new (to me) stuff. I’m currently streaming Tulip and… I don’t think I get it?

Other stuff in that collection includes a Cows album, tons of Butthole Surfers, Rapeman, Alice Donut, Squirrel Bait, Jesus Lizard, Dr. Know, Liquid Jesus, Supersuckers… I don’t know what state they’re all in, but it’s clearly a serious collection. For now I just wanna know: if I can get Steel Pole Bathtub albums at a reasonable price, yay or nay? Help me out @Sprague Dawley

I was in my local where the owner and a customer were talking about this and the owner had a fascinating take on younger buyers. On a wider scale, they are targeting specific records as opposed to browsing and bin diving as prior generations tended to do. I think you can point to a lot of things for the reason - much easier to speculate, ease of trying before buying, curated tastes via online influences, physical media representing a different experience than it did generations ago, etc. My main thought on this is that while we may have a resurgence, evolutions in technology and changes in the reasons for collecting (and ease in selling and buying vinyl) will shift priorities.

I also think for younger collectors it isn’t just cost…it is space. Property and room is scarce and younger generations move a lot. I own my place and am, for my tastes, maxed out on space I want to dedicate to vinyl. I have put down numerous, quality bargain bin albums as space is my currency.

Like Elvis..l have two Elvis albums. I definitely don’t need more. If there’s Elvis I am clamoring to hear outside of the GH and Xmas I have, I can very easily stream it and if I need it on vinyl…it’s a Discogs order away. Very different than the past.
Here is the answer! The days of dollar bins and crate diving has been mostly replaced by high priced reissues and overpriced pressings with higher profit margins to help pay higher rents, staff, overhead, and owner profits, etc. If the store mentioned above really threw out :oops::eek:1000's of records rather than donated them to charity, thrift, or their local library, shame on them!

85% of my collection is crate digging, dollar bins, yard sales, inheritance, and thrift over 50 years. I know most millennials do not have the time, or attention span for this. They want there analog to sound perfect. I use the new popularity of vinyl to fill in the gaps, for new music, and some upgrades.

Your friendly, grumpy, old guy (74). ;)

Last edited:
First, let me say - I think the vinyl boom has about 10 years max to go.

A combination of forces here.

First, prices have gone way up for new vinyl. The reasons for that I have discussed here several times.

Second, streaming has way, way overtaken physical product. labels don't want physical product. They only want streaming.

Third, the initial vinyl revival was fueled by older white males with serious disposable income who gravitated towards very conservative fare from their heyday - the 50's and 60's. The other end was fueled by younger people and basically gravitated around the metal market, where there was a major boom in vinyl. Those older white males have their collections now. The way to keep them buying is only to keep regurgitating Kind of Blue and The Doors, which for the moment, they will keep on buying. One-Steps, SRX, all that bullshit, are all aimed at this demo for whom price is not an obstacle. MOFI was once exciting, a discovery every month. Last MOFI I bought was Procol Harum's A Salty Dog. But that is reaching it's limit, as that demo dies out or gets to the point where enough is enough.

Fourth, the market is saturated. Too many releases. Too much product being pumped out. It's getting commoditized - again.

Fifth - younger people - in their 20's, it's only streaming, except for a few who view vinyl as a way to stand out from the crowd and be different. In their 30's and 40's, they all started on vinyl in the last 10 years or so, have a pretty decent collection, and are getting into buying a house, having kids, other priorities. It is coming to an end for them, or at least slowing down.

But - vinyl sales are still growing, although soon to approach a peak. From what I see, this has more to do with the older demo than younger, which is not a good sign.

When I returned to vinyl about 15 years ago, it was niche. Reissues were not the big sellers, metal was, and new indie artists. Classic Records brought the old folks out, and soon, MOFI got back into it. Speakers Corner was keeping it alive too, and occasionally AP got their feet in, but not in a big way. Rhino/Warners had one guy who was passionate about vinyl so they were in big from the start, but other majors were not. Kevin Grey was parked in a back room ar RTI, doing house mastering for whatever popped in, and forced to collaborate with Hoffman when he came to RTI. Bernie Grundman didn't even have a lathe anymore until Classic came knocking. This is how the reissue revival got started. There was no VMP. There were no One-Steps or SRX's. A Classic title - the premium product - sold for $30.

It was a product of passion, not a commodity market. There was no Discogs. No need - everything was pretty much available or could be found, and mostly at list price. You would go into a store and there were racks of Classic titles, MOFI's, Speakers Corner, Pure Pleasure and Rhinos. If something sold out, it took six months or over a year - and even then, could still be found. There were NO limited editions - or, they were all unadvertised limited editions, as the market wasn't huge.

That was the fun time to be into vinyl.

Then - the money got in control of the market. Collectors with money, labels looking at a high margin revenue stream. The growth in the market caused prices to rise for titles that had previously been easy to find for a fair price. Internet bullshit casued a rise in prices for original pressings, which in many cases were not all that great. Labels that had once been based on a purpose - to get more interesting music back on vinyl in great sound - MOFI, MMJ, AP, etc. - abandoned that purpose and became pure money grabbers. A few didn't - Speakers Corner, Pure Pleasure - and the only remaining major really committed to vinyl abandoned it, except for new releases. Labels found new ways to bring in a new type of buyer - the colored variant type buyer, who sought the exclusivity, perceived status and bragging rights - and were willing to pay more for that. The original type buyer, who fueled the vinyl revival, recoiled.

As a person who has worked in, and studied, marketing for his whole life, these are all signs of an industry in the throes of it's last cash grab opportunity before it all collapses. When it becomes a fashion market, it is nearing the end. It isn't so much about music anymore, too much of the market is about collectability, and the industry feeds that.

Personally, I can't wait for it all to cave in on itself. The music industry has a history of doing that to itself. Then, the only people left will be the music lovers who have a passion for vinyl as a superior music reproduction and archival format, and not because they have a limited to 250 worldwide splatter colored variant or a $100 45rpm box set of a warhorse they have bought 10 times already.

Last edited:
Back