What are your top 5 favorite VMP store exclusives that you’ve gotten and top 5 VMP store exclusives you’re most gutted for having missed?

I don't remember the shots I missed, but some of my favorite makes:

Cody Jinks - Lifers
Kikagaku Moyo - House in the Tall Grass
Slowdive - Pygmalion
Jason Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch
Nothing - Dance on the Blacktop

Nobody mentioning RATM makes me feel old because most probably don't know they had an exclusive

Some of my favorites:

Guru ~ Jazzmatazz Vol 2
De La Soul ~ De La Soul Is Dead
Donald Byrd ~ Stepping Into Tomorrow
Lafayette Afro-Rock Band ~ Malik
Sleater-Kinney ~ The Woods
Cornelius ~ Fantasma

Really no regrets, I've been able to eventually pick up the few I've wanted outside of a membership since mine lapsed awhile ago, and it seems like most of the exclusives are a precursor to a wider pressing these days.

Reactions: .Z.
Nobody mentioning RATM makes me feel old because most probably don't know they had an exclusive

Ahem...
Top 5 in no particular order:
Donald Byrd - Stepping into Tomorrow
Claudia Thompson - Goodbye to Love
Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages
Crumb - Jinx
Charlotte Day Wilson - CDW/Stone Woman

Top 5 misses
Madlib - Flight to Brazil

Mostly just kidding, here are four others I wish I had gotten/been around for:

Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire
Khruangbin - Con Todo El Mundo
Skull Snaps - Skull Snaps
Quasimoto - The Unseen

I have it, and was like maybe it would be nice to offer it as a PIFFFFucking hell..WHY IS THIS RECORD HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS?!?!
Same, same (about another record, the woozy album, obviously not the sweet and dandy that I am direly lusting after)

Off the top of my head, as I’m at work:

Nick Cave - The Boatman’s Call
Toots & the Maytals - Sweet & Dandy
The Upsetters - Eastwood Rides Again
Desmond Dekker - Action!
Shina Williams - African Dances

There are loads more I’ve picked up over the past 5 years….including De La Soul Is Dead, all 3 of the Flying Lotus exclusives etc. but the 5 above are ones that I’ve particularly enjoyed.

Top 5 in no particular order:
Donald Byrd - Stepping into Tomorrow
Claudia Thompson - Goodbye to Love
Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages
Crumb - Jinx
Charlotte Day Wilson - CDW/Stone Woman

Top 5 misses

Mostly just kidding, here are four others I wish I had gotten/been around for:

Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire
Khruangbin - Con Todo El Mundo
Skull Snaps - Skull Snaps
Quasimoto - The Unseen

I don't get why Madlib F to B is so popular, I had it for years rarely played until I sold it to fund my extravagent Dylan Blood on the Tracks one step.
Not once considered looking it up on Spotify since its departure.
What am i missing, the whole package presentation was average from what I recall also.

It's why I consider selling my collection every now and then
me too... but then I think, is anyone actually paying the prices I see on Discogs for some of the records I have?

like with this Toots and the Maytals record, now that I see the asking prices on Discogs I wouldn't want to sell it for less than that...but also I don't really listen to it and I probably should sell it while it has value...but I don't want to rip people off...but I also don't want to get ripped off myself...and then my brain gives up and I just don't do anything.

me too... but then I think, is anyone actually paying the prices I see on Discogs for some of the records I have?

like with this Toots and the Maytals record, now that I see the asking prices on Discogs I wouldn't want to sell it for less than that...but also I don't really listen to it and I probably should sell it while it has value...but I don't want to rip people off...but I also don't want to get ripped off myself...and then my brain gives up and I just don't do anything.
so what i'm hearing is it's a contender for PIFsgiving

That's good question. I'm sure I'll forget some but:
5 I got:
St. Vincent- strange mercy
Toots - sweet & dandy
Desmond Dekker - action
Steel pulse - true democracy
Lafayette Afro rock- Malik

5 I missed:
Shakira - done estan Los drones
Tenacious D
Pete rock - soul survivor
De la soul is dead
Tlc -crazysexycool

2. MF DOOM-Special Herbs complete set- VMP did a special bundle price for all of them back when Mm...Food was released. Had the awesome Dr Doom covers too.
Want to hear a real kicker. Back in late 2020 I purged a big chunk of my record collection including a load of MF DOOM stuff. A couple months later and he passed which led to everything rocketing in value and for the most part, it's still significantly higher than what I sold them for, eg:

- DOOM - Born Like This (VMP Pressing) - I sold for £45 and it now averages at £117
- JJ DOOM - Keys To The Cuffs (VMP Pressing) - I sold for £28 and it now averages £62
- MF DOOM - Special Herbs Complete Set (from VMP) - I sold for £110......god knows how much it's worth now.

Top Five I have:

1 - Fiona Apple - When the Pawn…
2 - Jack DeJohnette - Sorcery
3 - Sun Ra - Languidity
4 - The Meters - Fire on the Bayou
5 - Claudia Thompson - Goodbye to Love

Top Five I missed:

1 - Lafayette Afro-Rock Band - Malik
2 - Irma Thomas - Wish Someone Would Care
3 - Bar-Kays - Cold Blooded
4 - Charles Bradley - Black Velvet
5 - Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds
hey @e.s. I have a copy of that Irma Thomas that I'd be willing to part with (below Discogs prices). if you're interested DM me.

I am perpetually annoyed that I missed toots & the maytals "sweet & dandy".... and there's not even a non-vmp version.
this is the one and only one i can think of that i regret missing and like you it annoys the shit out of me every time i think about it.

this is the one and only one i can think of that i regret missing and like you it annoys the shit out of me every time i think about it.
It wouldn't be so bad if there were another pressing, even if it sucked. I mean vmp's version of gabor's dreams is so, so good. And if you missed it, that sucks.....but there's the LITA version and I think another one from a few years back. Both of which are inferior but at least they're there. but with toots, meh, outta gas, no joy at all.

Back