Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

Yup. Problem is I love how tubes look and the idea of rolling. Either way I want to get these speakers in the next few months. It's the rest of it I'm trying to figure out

Yeah same that’s why I’m on my second tube amp. And they are great. But I suppose it’s best be forewarned with the current reality before you make that call. The good thing is at PrimaLuna money there aren’t a whole host of bad amps out there be they solid state or tube you’re going to get something capable of blowing your socks off

Yeah and I don't think the sansui has that. Seems like my best bet is to upgrade everything. Speakers, amp/receiver/phono stage. Just a matter of what with. @HiFi Guy mentioning the Luna rise in price plus tube sourcing issues is making me rethink tubes. Idk. I'll just keep saving in the meantime
For the same money you could buy what I just bought- an NAD C165BEE preamp and a C298 power amp. Get open box from Safe & Sound and it’s $500 less.

You could even get a C268 power amp instead and be under $1800 open box.

Edit: Open box from S&S is like open box from MD. I think they were factory fresh. They just add S&S branded packing tape.

For the same money you could buy what I just bought- an NAD C165BEE preamp and a C298 power amp. Get open box from Safe & Sound and it’s $500 less.

You could even get a C268 power amp instead and be under $1800 open box.

Edit: Open box from S&S is like open box from MD. I think they were factory fresh. They just add S&S branded packing tape.

Thanks! Going to keep saving and will circle back. Whatever I upgrade to is planned to be held 10-20 years so I want it to be great sounding and great looking

Ordering these in the next week or two. If anyone sees a deal let me know. Thanks!
There was a very good deal over in the equipment deals thread recently but it may be gone.

Edit: looks like maybe they won’t ship it due to cost of shipping

There was a very good deal over in the equipment deals thread recently but it may be gone.

Edit: looks like maybe they won’t ship it due to cost of shipping

Looks like I'm in the part of the world where pick up is popular. The price is so low that I'm worried lol

Looks like I'm in the part of the world where pick up is popular. The price is so low that I'm worried lol
Looks like a solid seller with 22 positive reviews. Guessing the price is because it’s local pickup and a few cosmetic flaws. Can always message them though. It is a hell of a price if they are still available

Looks like a solid seller with 22 positive reviews. Guessing the price is because it’s local pickup and a few cosmetic flaws. Can always message them though. It is a hell of a price if they are still available

Yeah just sent a message. It would be a bit of a hike to get to but doable. Also asked how many hours are on them and all that

Yeah just sent a message. It would be a bit of a hike to get to but doable. Also asked how many hours are on them and all that
They need quite a few hours of break-in so its probably a benefit if they have some hours on them! They sound good out of the box but definitely settle in and get better

So here's the info I got on the cheap pair

"The only reason I am selling them is I found a deal on some other speakers. I've had them maybe a couple years and they sound fine. The cosmetic dings were there when I bought them as warrantied demos. Even that is not so bad it's terribly noticeable; they're actually good looking speakers."

I replied asking when the warranty expires and if it transfers. Anything else I should ask other than wanting a demo of them?

So here's the info I got on the cheap pair

"The only reason I am selling them is I found a deal on some other speakers. I've had them maybe a couple years and they sound fine. The cosmetic dings were there when I bought them as warrantied demos. Even that is not so bad it's terribly noticeable; they're actually good looking speakers."

I replied asking when the warranty expires and if it transfers. Anything else I should ask other than wanting a demo of them?
Speakers rarely if ever need warranty repairs. The only issues you really see are fried tweeters from abuse or rotten woofer surrounds due to age. The surrounds on the Lintons won’t rot because they are rubber and not foam.

Speakers rarely if ever need warranty repairs. The only issues you really see are fried tweeters from abuse or rotten woofer surrounds due to age. The surrounds on the Lintons won’t rot because they are rubber and not foam.

So as long as they work (person selling has 23 positive reviews) there's 0 reason not to buy them for the price it sounds like.

Back