Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary Review

Would anyone be willing to recommend a couple amps/receivers that would pair well with the Lintons?

I tried to search this thread but couldn't find a combination of search terms that yielded anything.
Ok without knowing your budget, I will recommend the audiolab 6000A integrated amp, which is an unbelievable value for the dollar. I own both the Lintons and 6000A and they're a match made in heaven.

What are you looking to spend? And so you have any requirements or preferences?

Fair enough, you folks are quick! I'm getting the sense from looking around a bit that up to $1000 would be sufficient?

I'm not sure I know enough to have preferences. My current setup is:

Fluance RT82
Schiit Mani
Schiit Vali
Edifier R1700 Speakers

This was my I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy this enough to spend money on it setup and now after 5 years I want to work towards some big upgrades.

Fair enough, you folks are quick! I'm getting the sense from looking around a bit that up to $1000 would be sufficient?

Fluance RT82
Schiit Mani
Schiit Vali
Edifier R1700 Speakers

This was my I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy this enough to spend money on it setup and now after 5 years I want to work towards some big upgrades.

Yes you can something that will play very nicely for that kind of budget. They are a nice speaker too in that they will also play pretty nicely with more budget amplifiers and I’ve found that they punch well above their weight with more expensive ones too.

I think for roughly there I’d be looking at

Quad Vena
Leak 130

or for a little less

Audiolab 6000

All 3 companies are sister companies of Wharfedale and there seems to be good synergy within the larger brand and I’ve seen all 3 very favourably spoken of with the Lintons on here.

Fluance RT82
Schiit Mani
Schiit Vali
Edifier R1700 Speakers

I have the Stereo Leak 130 paired with the Lintons and would highly recommend it. I believe it has really nice synergy with the Wharfedale Lintons and it is a very attractive unit.

I have the Stereo Leak 130 paired with the Lintons and would highly recommend it. I believe it has really nice synergy with the Wharfedale Lintons and it is a very attractive unit.

It is a very handsome beast and that’s worth the $96 over the audiolab on music direct for me any day of the week 😂

I think it and the Quad Vena II are very similar, if not identical, beyond some final stage in house tuning.

It is a very handsome beast and that’s worth the $96 over the audiolab on music direct for me any day of the week 😂

I think it and the Quad Vena II are very similar, if not identical, beyond some final stage in house tuning.
For an extra $96 I probably would have gone that way too but unfortunately here in Canada the price difference is $400 🤷‍♂️

What I've read is that it is basically identical to the Quad Vena other than some fine tuning. I think it is worth the extra $96 for sure.

Fluance RT82
Schiit Mani
Schiit Vali
Edifier R1700 Speakers

I second the Leak or Audiolab. I got an open box Audiolab for a really great price otherwise probably would have gone for the Leak since I think it's really a great looking device.

Also don't be afraid to buy open box from a reputable seller to save some money.

I have a sansui model 2000 I can repair but I don't think it is powerful enough for these either. Not sure what I should try to upgrade to now

I have a sansui model 2000 I can repair but I don't think it is powerful enough for these either. Not sure what I should try to upgrade to now

It’s not necessarily about the power in ultimate watt terms, they are relatively efficient speakers, I’ve been running them in triode mode on the Luna, which is 25 Watts, pretty happily. What you do want really is a 4 ohm tap on the amplifier to drive them.

For an extra $96 I probably would have gone that way too but unfortunately here in Canada the price difference is $400 🤷‍♂️

I think the price difference between the audiolab and the leak/quad is that on music direct too normal, they seem to have the leak marked down at the minute from when I just had a quick peak on their site before my reply!

What I've read is that it is basically identical to the Quad Vena other than some fine tuning. I think it is worth the extra $96 for sure.

Yeah to use an analogy it’s like when VW designs a chassis and drive train and supplies it to themselves, Audi, Skoda and Seat to build a car on it. They’re broadly similar but will look different and have their own little subtleties!

Similarly IAG have provided them both with the mechanics of an amp and they’ve designed their own case and fine tuned the sound to their engineers preference.

It’s not necessarily about the power in ultimate watt terms, they are relatively efficient speakers, I’ve been running them in triode mode on the Luna, which is 25 Watts, pretty happily. What you do want really is a 4 ohm tap on the amplifier to drive them.

Yeah and I don't think the sansui has that. Seems like my best bet is to upgrade everything. Speakers, amp/receiver/phono stage. Just a matter of what with. @HiFi Guy mentioning the Luna rise in price plus tube sourcing issues is making me rethink tubes. Idk. I'll just keep saving in the meantime

Yeah and I don't think the sansui has that. Seems like my best bet is to upgrade everything. Speakers, amp/receiver/phono stage. Just a matter of what with. @HiFi Guy mentioning the Luna rise in price plus tube sourcing issues is making me rethink tubes. Idk. I'll just keep saving in the meantime

Yeah tube sourcing is an issue right now for sure and even if the war ends tomorrow and it stops being practically I’m asking myself can I morally justify buying anything made in a Russia ruled by Putin.

There are other options in China and Slovakia and the crazy world of NOS but it’s definitely a concern.

Yeah tube sourcing is an issue right now for sure and even if the war ends tomorrow and it stops being practically I’m asking myself can I morally justify buying anything made in a Russia ruled by Putin.

There are other options in China and Slovakia and the crazy world of NOS but it’s definitely a concern.

Yup. Problem is I love how tubes look and the idea of rolling. Either way I want to get these speakers in the next few months. It's the rest of it I'm trying to figure out

I think the price difference between the audiolab and the leak/quad is that on music direct too normal, they seem to have the leak marked down at the minute from when I just had a quick peak on their site before my reply!
Yes, I saw the Leak 130 was on sale on Music Direct. Anyone interested should jump. I got an open box Leak 130 from them for a little bit less than that and have been nothing but happy with it.

Back