Wait, There’s No Thread Dedicated to The Rolling Stones?

I bit the bullet and just bought the new box set.

I've got a decent collection of various RS records, some are in great shape...most are not.

I went direct with ABKCO, as it was cheaper than other places...even after shipping.

It will look nice next to The Beatles mono box.

And 15 albums for $400 seems like a good deal to me.

You may be tired of this guy, but he made a good video comparing the 2016 mono box vs the 2023 mono Colored box.

I'll summarize. They are both good....sound pretty close to the same. Black may have a slight improvement over the color versions, but not much.

2016 has a glossy outer box finish compared to a matte finish on the 2023 set.

Both are from GZ....both are from DSD.

2016 had polylined sleeves - 2023 has paper sleeves.

I was not a fan of the "coloured" vinyl announcement, but it's really a cool feature now that I see it spin.
As mentioned in another thread, it's different plate #s in the runouts from the 2016.

Also, the care and attention to detail they took with the tape research is impressive.
This is a really great article.

Mojo's review mostly seems to reflect my opinions on the albums contained in the boxset (even if I haven't actually heard them) - I ended up passing as I'm just not sure I'd play the pre-Beggars Banquet stuff anything like enough The Rolling Stones Reviewed!

Pretty good review, quick read:

classique old school blues men who continue to play rock n roll into their 80s - they're just headlining stadiums is all

kudos to them, and i would love to know the odds on keef outliving em all

Took a look through my box and didn't notice anything wrong. All correct LP's are there.

No seam splits.

I didn't take any out of the resealable sleeves, as I'll do all that when I play them...and replace those sleeve as I hate them with a passion.

I haven’t gotten all the way through my set yet, but liking everything so far. This box isn’t or shouldn’t be a viewed as a one-stop shop or the only RS collection you need (like the Beatles Mono box for example) since their later work includes some pretty vital albums. But as a marker where these British cats playing US blues started and right up to the transition into where we see them in rock/pop? It’s a great bridge piece walking it forward.

I always wonder about including US and UK versions is just bloat or not, but in the interest of collection and archival, meeting these where they were issued is probably the right move.

Ultimately I think this is a (good) reference piece and I’m glad it got reissued. The color seems superfluous, but ultimately doesn’t really bug me much one way or the other. I do like the change up to a gloss box vs. the matte original if only for wear and tear’s sake I think it’ll age better.

Pricey, but with the discount from Paladin I’ll eat it - averaging against the savings of the Beatles accideal and the Dylan mono box price drop a couple years ago I can still feel like I’m ok.

Back