VMP Limited Tracks - Vinyl Me, Parton

hayema7

There's been some discussion on a few different threads, so I thought I'd make one to consolidate the discussion.

From VMP:

Introducing Vinyl, Me Parton - the first VMP Limited subscription featuring Dolly Parton and twelve of her greatest albums, some on vinyl for the very first time. Sign up for 3, 6 or 12 months of Vinyl Me, Parton by April 1st to guarantee your spot, limited quantities are available. Member benefits kick in as soon as you sign up! Take advantage of early access to exclusive titles, Member pricing and free shipping.

Ranging from her debut to some of her recent self-released albums, the 12 albums included in the Vinyl Me, Parton subscription will come on exclusive color vinyl, remastered from the highest quality audio sources and pressed on 180g vinyl. Each quarter will feature a free and exclusive Vinyl Me, Parton merch item as well.

Featuring long out-of-print gems like 'Hello, I'm Dolly' and 'My Tennessee Mountain Home' on vinyl for the first time in decades, and modern favorites like' Little Sparrow' and 'Backwoods Barbie' making their vinyl debut, VMP's first-ever Limited Record of the Month track delivers the most beloved albums from Dolly's legendary career the way they were meant to be heard. With lacquers cut from the highest-quality sources available by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound in Nashville, Tennessee — and, in the case of her Monument and RCA albums showcased here, fully analog from tapes — these albums have never sounded better. And they don't come much better-looking, either: Each album is pressed on exclusive color vinyl, with a heavyweight jacket and custom obi strip.

Get ready for twelve of Dolly's best! Plus, some rockin' mystery merch.
🦋 April 2023 - My Tennessee Mountain Home
🦋  May 2023 - Little Sparrow
🦋 June 2023 - Blue Smoke
🦋 July 2023 - Just Because I'm A Woman
🦋 August 2023 - 9 to 5
🦋 September 2023 - Backwoods Barbie
🦋 October 2023 - Hello, I'm Dolly
🦋 November 2023 - Jolene
🦋 December 2023 - Halos & Horns
🦋 January 2024 - Better Day
🦋 February 2024 - Those Were The Days
🦋 March 2024 - New Harvest...First Gathering

A couple of other things we know:
No swaps. Think of it as an anthology spread out over 12 months.
Charges begin on April 1. You can get your spot now and think about it without being charged.

Wonder if the thread should be Parton specific or dedicated to the Limited projects and be not unlike the anthology threads.

This is just a take on the "crate diggers" track they talked about years ago right? Well almost the same, I think the idea of the crate diggers track was it was going to be surprise releases.

This is just a take on the "crate diggers" track they talked about years ago right? Well almost the same, I think the idea of the crate diggers track was it was going to be surprise releases.
I think it's more being able to highlight artists or potentially genres that may not fit into other tracks and can expand beyond an anthology sized release. Not that Dolly doesn't fit in a track, but this can highlight more than sprinkling her in country and essentials once or twice.

I always envisioned the crate diggers as like the home of the Jorge records and what not. Stuff Madlib would lose his mind over.

I think it's more being able to highlight artists or potentially genres that may not fit into other tracks and can expand beyond an anthology sized release. Not that Dolly doesn't fit in a track, but this can highlight more than sprinkling her in country and essentials once or twice.
I always envisioned the crate diggers as like the home of the Jorge records and what not. Stuff Madlib would lose his mind over.

Oh I get all that, I'm not saying it's the same one for one, it's the bones of the crate digger track.

I was really excited for the crate diggers track when the rumors were floating around about it and this just reminded me of it, the whole pay for a year upfront and you get what we give you, no swaps no skips! A spacifically curated track with a theme, almost what I thought this Dolly track was going to be when I read the terrible copy! I thought maybe it's a mix of Dolly records and records Dolly curated but that seems a little complicated!

I'd lose my mind too. Wish we had more Ayalew Mesin and Experience Unlimited.
I'd love a translation of Mesin.

But I hear you, I love deep cut shit. One of the beautiful things about the current vinyl craze has been repressings of random shit. Like I joke about Sundazed and their deep stuff isn't really my jam most of the time, but the fact that they, Numero, LITA, Real Gone, etc put out things like The Lightmen or random Bobby Patterson albums is pretty awesome. I mean what would we all obsess over if we had never been introduced to Tabakin?

I'd love a translation of Mesin.

But I hear you, I love deep cut shit. One of the beautiful things about the current vinyl craze has been repressings of random shit. Like I joke about Sundazed and their deep stuff isn't really my jam most of the time, but the fact that they, Numero, LITA, Real Gone, etc put out things like The Lightmen or random Bobby Patterson albums is pretty awesome. I mean what would we all obsess over if we had never been introduced to Tabakin?

100% agreed. I'd say 99% of the records these labels represses would never come to my ears. Then you have labels who just repress (Mad About Records or Mr Bongo are one of these, and I love them both) and labels who do a fantastic work to find the original authors, musicians, writers involved in these albums. There is a whole package of music, history, photography, etc... Look what Analog Africa does, look what Now Again does.

On a similar topic, I recently read a French paper explaining how Youtube is the new "crate-diggers" heaven with many music lovers uploading rare records they own. Sometimes these records are nowhere to be found, no repress and not even an entry on Discogs. Great time to discover music.

A world music track would be awesome but I think it would just end up being titles with Now-Again, Mr Bongo, Analog Africa, Luakabop, etc. think it would be really difficult for VMP to curate that stuff on a monthly basis on their own.

A world music track would be awesome but I think it would just end up being titles with Now-Again, Mr Bongo, Analog Africa, Luakabop, etc. think it would be really difficult for VMP to curate that stuff on a monthly basis on their own.

Yup and nobody needs colored variants of records widely available for half of the price VMP will ask.

Great.
One I own, three I want, two are nice to have, and then a whole mess of "I will listen to this maybe once." Hopefully cheaper variants of the ones I really want elsewhere.

Great.
One I own, three I want, two are nice to have, and then a whole mess of "I will listen to this maybe once." Hopefully cheaper variants of the ones I really want elsewhere.
Sadly they are all exclusive to VMP. I think there’s a tiny possibility that some of these end up available to purchase from the VMP store if they don’t sell out but the popular titles will probably sell out. I haven’t really listened to her later stuff.

Sadly they are all exclusive to VMP. I think there’s a tiny possibility that some of these end up available to purchase from the VMP store if they don’t sell out but the popular titles will probably sell out. I haven’t really listened to her later stuff.

Have they released numbers on this? I'm wondering if this track doesn't sell out they'll either put the extras in their store or into swaps?

Have they released numbers on this? I'm wondering if this track doesn't sell out they'll either put the extras in their store or into swaps?
They implied some might make it to their store if they don’t sell out. As with all ROTMs, no pressing numbers announced. I don’t see anything like Jolene making it to the store or swaps.

Side note apparently coat of many colors will be back in the store for sale this week for Valentine’s Day

Back