Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Normally, I want the RKS master. That’s the only thing giving me pause.
Curious who cut the generic release...but it seems like RKS cut is exclusive to VMP. This could very well be similar to the David Gray - White Ladder VMP situation where the VMP is substantially better sounding than the generic 33 cut. If RKS did the 33 too then I'd go 33.

Curious who cut the generic release...but it seems like RKS cut is exclusive to VMP. This could very well be similar to the David Gray - White Ladder VMP situation where the VMP is substantially better sounding than the generic 33 cut. If RKS did the 33 too then I'd go 33.
Brb going to spin my David Gray, that one was a vast improvement over the standard. The standard was rather disappointing if I remember correctly.

Edit: just saw @Portland Sheriff comment, forget I said anything at all 🤣

Brb going to spin my David Gray, that one was a vast improvement over the standard. The standard was rather disappointing if I remember correctly.
yea. everybody was convinced that the VMP one wasn't 45 and that storf and co were lying and it was just a color variant. but it ended up sounding real good. IIRC the generic 33 suffered from distortion on a few tracks

yea. everybody was convinced that the VMP one wasn't 45 and that storf and co were lying and it was just a color variant. but it ended up sounding real good. IIRC the generic 33 suffered from distortion on a few tracks

I have NO doubt the RKS 2x45 Shabaka will sound fantastic — I just don't want to spend $66.50 on it, after translation.

The first thing they have in the short description after "VMP-exclusive edition" is, "mastered for vinyl by Ryan K. Smith". Either they are exploiting the lack of pressing details of the 33, or the 45 is the only RKS cut.

I understand 45 should technically sound better, but enough to warrant an "exclusive pressing" if both the 33 and 45 are RKS?

The first thing they have in the short description after "VMP-exclusive edition" is, "mastered for vinyl by Ryan K. Smith". Either they are exploiting the lack of pressing details of the 33, or the 45 is the only RKS cut.
VMP isn’t involved in the 33 so not sure if they’d know one way or another who cut that one. I don’t think that description is misleading or exploitative. because they do seem to have the only 2x45 pressing which makes it exclusive. I’ll try to do some digging to see who’s cutting the 33. The VMP Honky Chateau was also a different cut than the generic release and there are a few other cases where VMP’s cut was different to wide release.

I understand 45 should technically sound better, but enough to warrant an "exclusive pressing" if both the 33 and 45 are RKS?
If they are both RKS, I’d personally go for the 33. Mostly because I’m lazy. if only VMP is RKS (which wouldn’t surprise me) then I’d probably go with the VMP.

VMP isn’t involved in the 33 so not sure if they’d know one way or another who cut that one. I don’t think that description is misleading or exploitative. because they do seem to have the only 2x45 pressing which makes it exclusive.

If they are both RKS, I’d personally go for the 33. Mostly because I’m lazy. if only VMP is RKS (which wouldn’t surprise me) then I’d probably go with the VMP.

Agreed. I'm just wondering if they're flexing the RKS mastering because there is a lack of details available for the 33. You'd also think that if the 33 is RKS that they'd advertise that in some fashion.

Storf had said in the discord that the RKS is exclusive to vmp but he is a hype man so I dunno

Still would probably wait to buy it

Back