Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Literally becoming Newberry by hocking variants pressed at Rainbo.

Storf said on reddit they "picked the Prestige titles they liked". Ok, bud. You picked the titles you were able to get a license deal on when they just changed the colors from Newberry.

Storf has went from a staffer trying to make the best of an unpopular company direction, to a full blown willing and able huckster for VMP's latest bullshit.

A little excessive? The product/content writer writing about the company isn't a hucksters. He's doing his job not scamming anyone

I don't think i'm being excessive. VMP has been operating up until this year as a record club that had a hell of a lot more integrity than slinging out shitty jazz represses at a member's only markup above a company like Newberry that itself is just a recolor factory. Then Storf acts like this was some carefully curated gift to its members.

I don't think i'm being excessive. VMP has been operating up until this year as a record club that had a hell of a lot more integrity than slinging out shitty jazz represses at a member's only markup above a company like Newberry that itself is just a recolor factory. Then Storf acts like this was some carefully curated gift to its members.

So your issue is that the guy who's job is to be the hype man is hyping up products?

They are selling shit out of a paper bag and calling it chocolate, and Storf used to care about what he got hyped about.

I don't think that's accurate, or even what he's done here. How much has he even hyped it? I can't stand the way reddit collapses certain comments, so I might've missed the more explosive comment? It seems he just what's being released, that he likes the music, and the place pressing it with no outward praise of their quality (if anything a caveat that they did not choose to press it there).

Your attacks work if he said something like "It's never sounded better before!"

I don’t think VMP is being shady. The Prestige releases are what they are. To my knowledge no one has misrepresented them. It’d be cool it they were something more than colored variant but they aren’t. No one is gonna make anyone buy them and if someone prefer 💩 colored jazz records VMP has them covered. Bottom line is having more options (however superficial) is alway a good thing.

I could be wrong but I think the statement that @TheThinWhiteDuke is taking issue with is when Storf said "We picked the albums we like the most and are the best titles (we think) in the labels history." From what I've gathered reading this thread, it seems that these titles were already pressed by Newbury, so unless it's just a complete coincidence that VMP's 4 favorite Prestige titles also happened to be the same 4 titles pressed by Newbury, then it calls into question the honesty of Storf's statement. At the very least, it seems other factors (i.e. the ease of getting these repressed in a new color) had at least something to do with why these got picked, and it's not entirely true that they could have picked anything and chose these because they like them more than any other Prestige titles.

This is my favorite bowie album!
I could be wrong but I think the statement that @TheThinWhiteDuke is taking issue with is when Storf said "We picked the albums we like the most and are the best titles (we think) in the labels history." From what I've gathered reading this thread, it seems that these titles were already pressed by Newbury, so unless it's just a complete coincidence that VMP's 4 favorite Prestige titles also happened to be the same 4 titles pressed by Newbury, then it calls into question the honesty of Storf's statement. At the very least, it seems other factors (i.e. the ease of getting these repressed in a new color) had at least something to do with why these got picked, and it's not entirely true that they could have picked anything and chose these because they like them more than any other Prestige titles.

Exactly. Thank you lol

I mean, dude works for the company. His job is to turn hype into $. Coming out with a “these were the cheapest and easiest records we could release!!!” Statement doesn’t have the same ring to it. As with most consume goods being pushed by corporations: Caveat Emptor.

Back