Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

They are close enough that if I had one, I wouldn't want the other

Well damn, I was all in for the VMP one but Im going to be next to a NC in less than an hour....

If I were to swap this upcoming month, would you guys go for Call Me or Veedon Fleece? Both have been in and out of stock and seem to have been magically repressed recently. I already have both Al Green's Greatest Hits and Astral Weeks (not really going deep here, but still).

Leaning toward Call Me. Would love to get a consensus for what was the better package.
Veedon Fleece is really good, but the Al Green is even better. Check this review out! Vinyl Me, Please Drops Perfect Al Green Call Me Reissue

They are close enough that if I had one, I wouldn't want the other
I actually like the Newbury color better. I might just get this one instead of the AP after researching if it sounds good.

I wonder if it means anything that Storf has not answered my mastering/pressing question but has answered other questions afterwards? Deliberately not wanting to confirm that it is just a different colored Newbury for more money?

I wonder if it means anything that Storf has not answered my mastering/pressing question but has answered other questions afterwards? Deliberately not wanting to confirm that it is just a different colored Newbury for more money?
If that's the way the question was phrased, I'd likely be somewhat circumspect about it too. "Is this the same pressing & packaging that is being made available to retailers like Newbury also?" will probably catch more flies because it doesn't require self-incrimination if the answer is yes.

If that's the way the question was phrased, I'd likely be somewhat circumspect about it too. "Is this the same pressing & packaging that is being made available to retailers like Newbury also?" will probably catch more flies because it doesn't require self-incrimination if the answer is yes.
Yeah, I definitely didn't ask storf in the way my post you quoted was phrased and expect an answer. I'm not gonna ask him a hostile question and then infer that he's not answering it because he's hiding something.

Edit: he says the mastering is the available mastering that Prestige has on hand and that it is pressed at Rainbo. I would assume this does mean the same mastering as Newbury and that this is worded by him to (understandably) not just be him going "yeah it's the newbury one".

Edit 2: fyi for anyone interested, the Newbury one is also pressed by Rainbo.

Last edited:
Yeah, I definitely didn't ask storf in the way my post you quoted was phrased and expect an answer. I'm not gonna ask him a hostile question and then infer that he's not answering it because he's hiding something.

Edit: he says the mastering is the available mastering that Prestige has on hand and that it is pressed at Rainbo. I would assume this does mean the same mastering as Newbury and that this is worded by him to (understandably) not just be him going "yeah it's the newbury one".

Edit 2: fyi for anyone interested, the Newbury one is also pressed by Rainbo.
Yep they suck and are charging more 😂

Fair enough. Somebody recently, I forget who, did ask a similar question actually worded in that way on reddit and got a little bit of an admittedly snarky response, and I've been thinking off and on since it was posted in here about how that question could even be answered. Nothing wrong with the question itself or the questioner, of course; just thinking that the phrasing makes it tricky for the company to answer.

Edit: yep, your edit is exactly what I meant.

Fair enough. Somebody recently, I forget who, did ask a similar question actually worded in that way on reddit and got a little bit of an admittedly snarky response, and I've been thinking off and on since it was posted in here about how that question could even be answered. Nothing wrong with the question itself or the questioner, of course; just thinking that the phrasing makes it tricky for the company to answer.

Edit: yep, your edit is exactly what I meant.

Yep they suck and are charging more 😂
With taxes and cheapest shipping method, the Newbury version is $28.05 for me.

Screenshot_20190808-185616_reddit is fun.jpg
This Prestige series is by far the worst jazz label partnership they've done and this is why. They didn't consider at all when something had been reissued and if it was already easily available for similar price (or cheaper on secondary market). I wonder if this just speaks to them being more focused on the members they have that won't go looking for stuff like this and only get it when VMP curates it to them? They must have enough of these people for it to be viable.

The Prestige titles are such a let down compared to how well they did with the 4 Blue Notes. Those really set the bar high. With the Prestige titles, they didn't need to 2x albums at 45, but just put a little more care in it. These just feel like, "hey what titles do you have lying around that we can quickly shill to the rubes?"

The Prestige titles are such a let down compared to how well they did with the 4 Blue Notes. Those really set the bar high. With the Prestige titles, they didn't need to 2x albums at 45, but just put a little more care in it. These just feel like, "hey what titles do you have lying around that we can quickly shill to the rubes?"

You are right with that. This is less than underwhelming and I am not going to think twice before passing on them.

And what's up with the Dolphy variant looking like a pale version of Newbury's?

Totally. I mean, I get that on one hand they are a business and they need to pick the ones they can sell easiest, but on the other hand they are a business built on curating titles that you wouldn't necessarily pick on your own.

And as someone mentioned on reddit: Storf says that Rainbo has the deal with Prestige to press these titles, but back when Saxophone Colossus came out he said it was pressed by RTI. This was a major factor in many people deciding to go with it. So, which is it? Does anyone who has a copy know for sure? Is this just more of Storf not knowing what he's talking about with mastering/pressing details?

Back