Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Is Human Head still operating? Best record shop I visited while I was there a few years ago.
Yea they should still be there! Good shop. Academy Annex in greenpoint was another one of my favorites. Very fair prices for used stuff, paid great prices for records as well. Always interesting records and a great mix of rock and jazz on the walls at all times. On RSD They would do the RSD stuff but also put out tons of rare used stuff for awesome prices. Their Manhattan location gets insane rare jazz stuff in all the time

Which pressing did it end up being? There are a few different cuts I think
I just received Charles Bradley Victim of Love from Amazon USA, and the runout markings are very sparse. Nothing etched, just a single machine-stamped code on each side:

Side One = 236765E1/A
Side One = 236765E2/A

I searched Discogs for the first 6 digits of the above, under the Master Release, and no results were found:

Also, there is new text on the back cover, below the last two lines of credit at the bottom: "MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC."

Does the information above equate to "GZ Media" for pressing plant?

And, I'm wondering if this means this new version is still mastered by JJ Golden (since his name is no longer etched in the runout). Or is it an entirely new master?

Any ideas?

Will verify the run-outs soon but pretty sure it's this one. Charles Bradley Featuring Menahan Street Band - Victim Of Love
Ah, good catch. They don't include the runout codes in that listing, but it does identify it as GZ Media, and the back cover image included does have "MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC" printed on back cover, in addition to the "Small sticker on back cover bottom right, on top of cellophane wrap says Made in Czech Republic" that they describe. It's very likely the same version I have, so I'm tempted to update the Discogs entry with my additional information.

I just received Charles Bradley Victim of Love from Amazon USA, and the runout markings are very sparse. Nothing etched, just a single machine-stamped code on each side:

Side One = 236765E1/A
Side One = 236765E2/A

I searched Discogs for the first 6 digits of the above, under the Master Release, and no results were found:

Also, there is new text on the back cover, below the last two lines of credit at the bottom: "MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC."

Does the information above equate to "GZ Media" for pressing plant?

And, I'm wondering if this means this new version is still mastered by JJ Golden (since his name is no longer etched in the runout). Or is it an entirely new master?

Any ideas?
This means it’s not cut by Golden. It would have Golden in the runouts. So it’s a generic GZ cut.

There are JJ Golden versions and that’s likely what VMP used so if true, at least they used what are likely the best plates available

This means it’s not cut by Golden. It would have Golden in the runouts. So it’s a generic GZ cut.

There are JJ Golden versions and that’s likely what VMP used so if true, at least they used what are likely the best plates available
I'm listening to it now. It's very harsh on the upper frequencies, with timid lower frequencies. Decent soundstage, though. But the harshness is forcing me to turn it down lower and lower, which is the opposite of what the energy of this music should be doing.

Is this harshness perhaps the "house sound" of Dunham Sound Studios where it was recorded? Trying for "faux-vintage" by intentionally blowing-out distortion on all the mics (vocals especially)?

He's got a great voice; such a shame it wasn't recorded with more care.

Worth $15. Not much more.

I'm listening to it now. It's very harsh on the upper frequencies, with timid lower frequencies. Decent soundstage, though. But the harshness is forcing me to turn it down lower and lower, which is the opposite of what the energy of this music should be doing.

Is this harshness perhaps the "house sound" of Dunham Sound Studios where it was recorded? Trying for "faux-vintage" by intentionally blowing-out distortion on all the mics (vocals especially)?

He's got a great voice; such a shame it wasn't recorded with more care.

Worth $15. Not much more.
The harshness is probably because it’s a generic GZ cut pressed at GZ. The RTI Golden cut is probably the one to get but I don’t personally have it.

It’s one of those annoying cases of the UPC being the same across multiple versions of the album so a total crapshoot if you buy it sealed.

Could always listen to it on streaming and see if you’re experiencing the same harshness and need to turn it down

The harshness is probably because it’s a generic GZ cut pressed at GZ. The RTI Golden cut is probably the one to get but I don’t personally have it.

It’s one of those annoying cases of the UPC being the same across multiple versions of the album so a total crapshoot if you buy it sealed.

Could always listen to it on streaming and see if you’re experiencing the same harshness and need to turn it down
Yeah ... the Qobuz 44.1kHz/16bit stream of this Charles Bradley album is more pleasing to listen to than the GZ Media LP. Sadly.

Not a single swap is worth $36, at least to my mind.
the swap prices going up is the bigger tragedy here. i guess it's good for my wallet...i get that it's only a $3 difference but I was already kinda at the upper end of what I wanted to spend on their releases since they aren't from QRP or RTI anymore

the swap prices going up is the bigger tragedy here. i guess it's good for my wallet...i get that it's only a $3 difference but I was already kinda at the upper end of what I wanted to spend on their releases since they aren't from QRP or RTI anymore
I'm in the same boat. I might be talked into $36 for a double LP but having that be the baseline for ANYTHING in swaps is just a hard pass.

I'm in the same boat. I might be talked into $36 for a double LP but having that be the baseline for ANYTHING in swaps is just a hard pass.
i'll see how i feel once the VMP plant opens and what the curation is at that point. but i haven't done more than a 3 month sub in probably 2 years at this point. i ducked in and out when there were 3+ releases in stock that i wanted.

Back