Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Yeah, I feel like too many people accepted it (sadly I am here and I take responsibility) because they didn't want the hassle of asking for 4 replacements from VMP because they KNOW the 4 replacements will all be equally shit. I don't know what their repress threshold is, but I'm guessing it fell JUST under it. There was no way that wasn't a pressing wide issue.

EDIT: Having to record and upload every defect to prove you aren't insane doesn't help either.

Took me a while to realize that was a flute on his shoulder.
I have said it before Herbie Mann does two things and he does those two things very well; Herbie Mann Flutes and Herbie Mann Fucks. Thankfully, the album art photographer was able to capture him at one of those rare post-fuck/pre-flute moments. Probably on his way to your mom’s fridge to grab a Gatorade.

I started a little over two years ago on a Crosley that was gifted to me and am Currently on an AT LP60 - best thing I've done for myself so far. The Crosley was noticeably shit on so many records. Especially on the innermost track or two of anything bassy. But I dunno that I would've been able to pick out any pressing issues with it, because I probably would've just attributed it to the player itself.

I would love to pitch up to an AT LP120, but need to stop buying so many damn records to do so! 🤔
You should look into a secondhand turntable. I’ve never purchased new. My primary turntable I use now is 1970s era Technics. I purchased it off of Offer Up for for $30. It works great with very little maintenance required. Getting a counter weight for your tone arm is a major plus especially if you’re spinning any valuable albums.

Last edited:
People like to shit on the LP60, but honestly it's a decent little player. With a decent enough set of speakers it does a great job, and you can really start to hear the difference in audiophile records. That said, I had a couple of complaints about it:

1) Skips like crazy on certain hot cut records. (latest press of Talking Heads "Speaking in Tongues" for example)
2) It's unforgiving and skips if your floor carries enough vibration from your movements. Probably because it's so damn light it feels like there's nothing to it.
3) Auto return is just another part that can break down. Mine broke down after two years (returns the tone arm and then immediately starts up again), which led me to upgrade to the LP120.

Otherwise it's pretty much dummy proof and can last you several years from starting off with the hobby. I wish I started out with it to begin with as the Crosley scratched some of my favourite records that I bought at the beginning. They skipped when jumping into the LP60, and the skips are non-existent on the LP120, but I know the scratches themselves are there and it drives me insane.
I have an LP60 for listening to records in my living room through a Sonos where music volume is never terribly high and kids are usually screaming and running around so it's not exactly an audiophile listening chamber, but I have to agree the value is tremendous for what the LP60 is and my only complaint is the skipping from vibration that you mentioned. When the kids want to dance it usually means a lot of jumping around the room so I feel limited in what I am comfortable putting under that grasshopper of a needle!

The greatest trick VMP has pulled is convincing its customers that replacing poorly pressed records is good customer customer service rather than the minimum expectation.
it is kinda crazy. obviously i know pressing issues can occur. but VMP has way more of these happening than any other company I have dealt with in the past year. that's probably the real reason why the price hikes happened. "free shipping" and album replacements/typos/pressing errors are baked into the price of a sub now.

it is kinda crazy. obviously i know pressing issues can occur. but VMP has way more of these happening than any other company I have dealt with in the past year. that's probably the real reason why the price hikes happened. "free shipping" and album replacements/typos/pressing errors are baked into the price of a sub now.
To be honest, it all starts at GZ for the most part...and outside of VMP most GZ pressings have been complete shit as well. To the point where I'm going to have to have my discogs open every time I'm at a record store to see where a record is pressed going forward. Now that Classics has gone to GZ, VMP has now ensured all 4 tracks are going to be CS nightmares.

To be honest, it all starts at GZ for the most part...and outside of VMP most GZ pressings have been complete shit as well. To the point where I'm going to have to have my discogs open every time I'm at a record store to see where a record is pressed going forward. Now that Classics has gone to GZ, VMP has now ensured all 4 tracks are going to be CS nightmares.
I have surprisingly gotten decent GZ pressings that are non-VMP lately...so I kinda think something else is going on. Could be that they are just using the lowest tier of QC? And people seem to say that warping is not related to the pressing plant although I don't know that's entirely true or not...

I have surprisingly gotten decent GZ pressings that are non-VMP lately...so I kinda think something else is going on. Could be that they are just using the lowest tier of QC? And people seem to say that warping is not related to the pressing plant although I don't know that's entirely true or not...
That has not been my experience.
I can't remember the last time I've gotten a clean GZ pressing, and I'm buying WAY too many albums. Some worse than others.

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 1.18.26 PM.png
I just did a quick search from over the past 3 months. So some of these aren't recent pressings to be fair, but I think Phoenix is the only clean one I have here. Cash I think is by far the worst of the bunch. Meters is pretty good, only minor surface noise on I think two tracks.

That has not been my experience.
I can't remember the last time I've gotten a clean GZ pressing, and I'm buying WAY too many albums. Some worse than others.
i'm spinning the eco-vinyl Big Thief right now and there are no issues whatsoever. has a very slight warp that DNAP but is dead quiet otherwise and sounds good. mine was pressed at GZ. The Fela box set vol 5 was GZ, also no issues with it. All Things Must Pass 50th anniversary box was GZ and no issues there either. Nirvana Nevermind 30th anniversary was flat and dead quiet. Looking back at the past 10 or so GZ albums I have picked up that are non-VMP, I only had issues with one...and it's that Tammi pressing. From what I remember it is just really poorly done overall. I seem to remember the mastering just sounding bad but will have to listen to it again.

edit: i will say though i generally DO try to stay away from GZ as they are my least favorite pressing plant out there. sometimes you just dont know until you buy something though.

Last edited:
FWIW. Maybe not everything will be GZ. This was my convo with RTI.

View attachment 131525
impulse anthology?

ceacb77d4939dbcf05c90f62e9105735.gif

FWIW. Maybe not everything will be GZ. This was my convo with RTI.

View attachment 131525
No, and I believe the official messaging was that it could vary from album to album. It wouldn't surprise me if higher profile titles go to RTI still. I don't know if Lightnin' was just one they thought they could easily get away with a GZ press.

Back