Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

VMP Sturgill is up. Looks to be $5 more for members when factoring in shipping, at least what I am looking at with the Indie option.

If the edition size was smaller, I might’ve bought it but 2500 is a lot and though it’s a unique cover/color, I think the indie one is much more appropriate.

This reminds me...I signed up for the Johnny Cash TMR Vault release and forgot to cancel before they charged me again for the next release, which they hadn't announced yet. As soon as they announced the Greatest Hits release, I emailed to cancel, and they flat out refuse. I've gone back and forth with them a couple times with no luck. Has anyone had success trying to cancel--and get a refund for--their TMR sub after being charged, and if so, how did you do it?
Never done it myself, but from everything I've heard they're pretty adamant about no refunds/cancelations. At worst, you'd be able to resell it at-cost or more once you finally get it.

I got a reply from Tyler today that said, essentially, "The Anthology order confirmation email says you have to cancel within 48 hours of purchase, so we will not cancel your order."

I responded "That email also said this Anthology would ship Summer of 2020, and it is now October. VMP is in breach of contract."

An hour later, Tyler writes back "Due to circumstances, VMP agrees to a one-time exception to our policy. Your order has been canceled and refunded."
Ah yes, the often forgotten Unclean Hands Doctrine. Well played.

Do VMP exclusives sell out any more? I used to (like 2-3 years ago) never buy exclusives, I would wait until they hit swaps and get them cheaper that way. Then for awhile it seemed like they started doing more limited runs and things would often sell out before hitting swaps. But now it seems like they are pressing more copies again and selling them for higher prices, so is it safe to assume that almost everything sticks around long enough to hit swaps eventually? I guess in particular I'm thinking about Fleet Foxes, Sturgill, the Jazz Dispensary series.

This reminds me...I signed up for the Johnny Cash TMR Vault release and forgot to cancel before they charged me again for the next release, which they hadn't announced yet. As soon as they announced the Greatest Hits release, I emailed to cancel, and they flat out refuse. I've gone back and forth with them a couple times with no luck. Has anyone had success trying to cancel--and get a refund for--their TMR sub after being charged, and if so, how did you do it?

I managed to cancel before the announcement. I saw my credit card was charged before the announcement, and emailed to cancel and they did so within one day. This was before they announced and the same day of my CC charge, but I don't see why that should make a difference. Bummer they won't do the same for you.

Do VMP exclusives sell out any more? I used to (like 2-3 years ago) never buy exclusives, I would wait until they hit swaps and get them cheaper that way. Then for awhile it seemed like they started doing more limited runs and things would often sell out before hitting swaps. But now it seems like they are pressing more copies again and selling them for higher prices, so is it safe to assume that almost everything sticks around long enough to hit swaps eventually? I guess in particular I'm thinking about Fleet Foxes, Sturgill, the Jazz Dispensary series.
I think more people are getting wiser about purchases...I also think their price increases have deterred a ton of people

Haven't been following along with vmp but I'd sure love that Idris Muhammad - had it in my discogs wantlist for a while.

Will these be pressed in black as well and available elsewhere? 50$ is shocking.

Last time I bought any exclusives that weren't in swaptions was the end of July when I got Peanuts Portraits and Sonny Sharrock. And I believe the biggest motivator on pulling the trigger on those at the time was a discount code that was about to expire.

There've been several exclusives since then I've had an interest in, but the price factor has time and again told me to hold off. Now that they've gone absolutely nuts with the Jazz Dispensary titles I'm finding myself less and less interested in anything VMP has to offer. I had been dreading the decision I'd have to make when my yearly sub is up for renewal in June, but if it keeps going like this, it'll be a no-brainer.

Haven't been following along with vmp but I'd sure love that Idris Muhammad - had it in my discogs wantlist for a while.

Will these be pressed in black as well and available elsewhere? 50$ is shocking.

I would bet good money they'll get pressed in black-- these are Craft titles. I can't imagine they'll go to the expense of remastering etc just to press 1000 copies of each in colored wax for absurdly expensive prices.

I'm not buying them from VMP and I urge anyone considering it to just wait.

Serious question, have there been many true exclusives? They do a lot of "exclusive" colors that inevitably come out with wider releases. I think the last real exclusive I bought was Fiona Apple... otherwise, the jazz titles they've done have mostly all come out in black.

I would bet good money they'll get pressed in black-- these are Craft titles. I can't imagine they'll go to the expense of remastering etc just to press 1000 copies of each in colored wax for absurdly expensive prices.

I'm not buying them from VMP and I urge anyone considering it to just wait.

Didn't realize they were craft. Well I assume they'd do a wide pressing for sure then..really hope so.

I had borrowed power of soul and turn this mutha out from a friend, the MOV pressings. Absolute beast, really want to get a bunch of his albums.

Hmmm so you know what I just worked out. Because their computer system is so fucked I can buy an AoTM cheaper without re-joining so long as it doesn’t sell out. It’s $52 1 month or $49.66 3 month to join as a member. In the store those records are $39 1 disc and $47 2 disc. For reasons that escape me their store still lets me buy as a member and get free international shipping. Fucking idiots. Still too expensive to bother but it is very funny.

Hmmm so you know what I just worked out. Because their computer system is so fucked I can buy an AoTM cheaper without re-joining so long as it doesn’t sell out. It’s $52 1 month or $49.66 3 month to join as a member. In the store those records are $39 1 disc and $47 2 disc. For reasons that escape me their store still lets me buy as a member and get free international shipping. Fucking idiots. Still too expensive to bother but it is very funny.

I found another loophole in the past once where I signed up for a single month during that period where the new ROTM isn't yet announced and the previous one isn't active anymore. As a result they didn't charge you right away. Anyway i realized you could just buy previous albums of the month from the store for cheaper than the 1 month price (international) or any other exclusives, and then immediately cancel your membership.

I might have to explore that again seeing as they have credit of mine and I don't want to sign up for a new membership

Does anyone know when VMP bills you these days?

Back