Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I am not as sure as you are. First they stupidly can ship 3 AotMs separately (+ potential other records ordered the same month). Then, due to their lack of quality control, logistic and so on, they have to ship several replacement copies, once again separately. i don't know how many subscribers receive damaged records (visually or sonically) and how many ask for a replacement but they definitely loose a lot of money every month just by lack of attention to very small details. I don't even take in count this Dead box or other high priced colored versions that are sitting somewhere taking dust.
Real question here : I’ve been talking with a lot a labels lately and I’m used to press records, you know why.
Of course I’m talking much much fewer quantities but damage records (visually and sonically) are less than 1% from the plan and the same after shipping to buyers. I don’t know why this could be different for VMP?

That is true! My evidence is that, when I think VMP faced their worst nightmare - the store migration crisis - that they could have potentially gone out of business quickly. But ever since, that quieted down, they've sold out of most of their Essential ROTM's (April, May, June & August have sold out/1st run sold out), and I feel like because they made it through the store migration, they will go far. And I think they are a really good company in what they offer and keep things really interesting.

We don’t know how many copies though or how many subscribers. I think that the whole BVSC debacle has shown that they expect less to sell and were caught out with a surge of interest. Also if these issues weren’t causing them grief I don’t see why they would need such an exorbitant increase. They have effectively decided that grossly over charging for a slightly above average product is an easier way out than employing an adult to kick their arses to ensure that the quality control and logistics are sorted.

Real question here : I’ve been talking with a lot a labels lately and I’m used to press records, you know why.
Of course I’m talking much much fewer quantities but damage records (visually and sonically) are less than 1% from the plan and the same after shipping to buyers. I don’t know why this could be different for VMP?

Hey Edd in my normal non VMP buying I would agree with that, probably 5 or 6 out of a collection closing in on 800. With VMP it was exponentially higher, nearer 15%. Mainly warps and some damaged jackets but also some pretty weak presses with no-fill or crackle. The former I put down to their poor packaging for shipping and potentially warehouse storage issues, the latter I think might be due to GZ being one of the more inconsistent pressing factories and some of their more extravagant colourways.

We don’t know how many copies though or how many subscribers. I think that the whole BVSC debacle has shown that they expect less to sell and were caught out with a surge of interest. Also if these issues weren’t causing them grief I don’t see why they would need such an exorbitant increase. They have effectively decided that grossly over charging for a slightly above average product is an easier way out than employing an adult to kick their arses to ensure that the quality control and logistics are sorted.
That is a very good point! Like, why has VMP increased prices ridiculously?!? Doesn't make sense to me! I really am unsure about the future for VMP!

They have effectively decided that grossly over charging for a slightly above average product is an easier way out than employing an adult to kick their arses to ensure that the quality control and logistics are sorted.
giphy.gif

Wasn't there also times people got in on free international shipping without being members because of the magazine links? Not sure if I’m misremembering.

Hey Edd in my normal non VMP buying I would agree with that, probably 5 or 6 out of a collection closing in on 800. With VMP it was exponentially higher, nearer 15%. Mainly warps and some damaged jackets but also some pretty weak presses with no-fill or crackle. The former I put down to their poor packaging for shipping and potentially warehouse storage issues, the latter I think might be due to GZ being one of the more inconsistent pressing factories and some of their more extravagant colourways.
There is plenty of pressing plant. If one screw up a pressing with 15% of bad records, easy to take another one. Especially with so much quantity from VMP.
And about the mockup problem, pressing plant CAN « test press » the colour. So the mockup could be done with a real picture.
Really, I don’t get it. :(

And about the mockup problem, pressing plant CAN « test press » the colour. So the mockup could be done with a real picture.
Really, I don’t get it. :(

That's what I thought and expected they would do but many on here said the test pressings only come in black.

Imo VMP is big enough to have a proper picture of the record before they sell it. They should have a product in hand rather than some mockup made from someone's interpretation.

I always found that to be a cop out to say "actual colour might vary" when your whole model is based on providing an exclusive colour.

I am surprised it's not more than 1% but I believe a lot of record buyers don't even know they have damaged records. Back in 2016, BBC did a study that showed that 48% of people who bought a vinyl last month have yet to play the record. It also says that early half of vinyl buyers (45%) said they had listened to the record on a streaming service before buying the physical copy (so do they actually play the record they bought). Also, a good number are both record collectors and music lovers. I don't want to offend anyone but many of us can buy the same record with different colors, artwork, pressing plant, etc... They certainly check the item visually but probably won't play the same record for the eleventh time so if there is a pressing defect on their copy, they'll maybe never know it. Then there are the flippers who may not even unpack their purchases.

This is all so overwhelming! I have no idea what's going to happen! I've got some weird feeling that VMP have some really good upcoming ROTM's or will just have some trick up their sleeve for them to pull back in people, even though they'll have to spend more than they used to.

I still can't believe the price hike in subscription costs and add-on subs. I've never seen a company do a price hike so extreme and sudden like that! I just don't know what's going to happen in the next month. I just feel there's going to be so much chaos on here and on Reddit about people complaining about the price they're being charged/not knowing they got charged extra etc.

I think I'm going to have a break from this forum and Reddit for a few weeks just because I know the VMP threads will all be complaints and about how people dislike VMP etc.

This is all so overwhelming! I have no idea what's going to happen! I've got some weird feeling that VMP have some really good upcoming ROTM's or will just have some trick up their sleeve for them to pull back in people, even though they'll have to spend more than they used to.

I still can't believe the price hike in subscription costs and add-on subs. I've never seen a company do a price hike so extreme and sudden like that! I just don't know what's going to happen in the next month. I just feel there's going to be so much chaos on here and on Reddit about people complaining about the price they're being charged/not knowing they got charged extra etc.

I think I'm going to have a break from this forum and Reddit for a few weeks just because I know the VMP threads will all be complaints and about how people dislike VMP etc.

You know this forum is not about VMP anymore? There are 4 VMP threads IIRC and hundred of others non VMP.

I just feel there's going to be so much chaos on here and on Reddit about people complaining about the price they're being charged/not knowing they got charged extra etc

That's a good point I didn't think about before. For instance, their Email to me just mentioned that add-ons will increase to $33. No word about the general price increase of subscriptions.

"For the first time in over three years, the cost of a VMP add-on track will increase to $33 beginning with September Records of the Month. Why is this the case? So we can keep up with the rising costs associated with the high quality of our records."

So I've just learned about the subscription price increase by checking here and then by having a look at my account.

And as @Skalap said, this forum isn't about VMP for the most part. If you don't want to read about the drama unfolding in these VMP threads, I suggest just to avoid them, but to enjoy the rest of this great amazing forum. I hope you will do so. 🙂

Free

To be honest I think it gets lost that there are people like yourself who actually work for VMP and who will be mega impacted if they go under as opposed to the likes of me that can just shop elsewhere. I'm not entirely sure you and other staff there are necessarily at the forefront of their mind when they do shit like this

Has it really been three years?

Hi JOE,
For the first time in over three years, the cost of a VMP add-on track will increase to $33 beginning with September Records of the Month. Why is this the case? So we can keep up with the rising costs associated with the high quality of our records.

I​

That's a good point I didn't think about before. For instance, their Email to me just mentioned that add-ons will increase to $33. No word about the general price increase of subscriptions.

"For the first time in over three years, the cost of a VMP add-on track will increase to $33 beginning with September Records of the Month. Why is this the case? So we can keep up with the rising costs associated with the high quality of our records."

So I've just learned about the subscription price increase by checking here and then by having a look at my account.

This is the same email I got. Just mentioning the add-on.

My 3 month sub ends in September, so I should have received the full email according to their various twitter posts.

Back