Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I almost bit on that buy-two-months-get-one-free offer too, but... VMP. Not worth the aggravation (to me).

Same here. After debating for most of the past month whether it would be worth it to rejoin at the 3-for-2 rate... I see this swaption fiasco and I’m obviously glad I didn’t. Their service is simply too much of a gamble for my taste/budget, and they're just getting more and more unreliable and also overpriced.

VMP has the built-in customer base so that certainly helps. I think the VMP ones sold out because they were in swaps so when people didn't have anything to swap to, they went with that one (it was in swaps again this month). And the "free shipping" gimmick works too. When you see "free shipping", you're more likely to buy it even though it's now included in the price. I also think that VMP saying it was originally only 1K copies made more people buy it initially--they thought it was the most limited, when really it wasn't.

The Japanese blue version did sell out at one point IIRC. The VMP one took really long to sell out as well. I think VMP also offloads albums to other stores to sell as we have seen with quite a few other "exclusives".

Also, check the resell market for VMP releases. If they arent better, perception says they are. If the cost is not too much, i almost always get the VMP version. When im old i can sell them to pay for the electric bill.

So awesome that they teased that Phrenology swap yesterday. Then pulled it. Now it's on sale in the "sale" they are having. Poor form, VMP.

I'm guessing everything in the sale hits swaps after Wednesday when the sale ends. If not you can probably email them to switch your swap.

If swaps stay the way they are, the selection is really bad.

I emailed using their contact form on the site - do you think I could expect an answer back before the swaps close?
I don't think anybody has any idea to be honest. I emailed them yesterday, got a very quick generic response saying the site will be back up, emailed them back after and haven't heard anything.

Pre-ordered from LITA?

I woke up early and grabbed the Wabi Sabi from Rappcats and then later, when LITA threw it up, so I could get it along with Hiroshi Yoshimura's Green that was sitting in my cart. Piano Piano DM'd me last week with a heads up that it was going live on Monday and later saying LITA told them they would have 30 copies on their site. I grabbed the LITA order and messaged a friend that I'd grabbed it for him. Then Rappcats started messaging everyone telling them they oversold, after already sending out confirmations that our orders had finished processing. So, I was lucky to grab the extra, because it became my only copy. The whole thing went haywire and people were pissed everywhere. These were selling out before they were even publicly announced. I grabbed the Rappcats order before they even posted about it and it was still canceled.

Eventually, they just had to announce a repress on the spot to deal with it. LITA was the one distributing it to Rappcats, Mr Bongo (UK) -- they sold out first -- and Discunion (only ships in Japan). Along with it, they announced a repress of the Eastern Flowers album that was originally a pressing of 300 and has been listed for $300. Not anymore. LITA is selling the repress for $10 less than Rappcats. Then, this morning, Mr Bongo finally made them available in the UK for everyone overseas that was stressing about it yesterday. Basically, the whole thing was a shit show at a level VMP would be proud of. The main difference is that they resolved it quicker than I've ever seen and communicated with everyone throughout it.

Last edited:
I woke up early and grabbed the Wabi Sabi from Rappcats and then later, when LITA threw it up, so I could get it along with Hiroshi Yoshimura's Green that was sitting in my cart. Piano Piano DM'd me last week with a heads up that it was going live on Monday and later saying LITA told them they would have 30 copies on their site. I grabbed the LITA order and messaged a friend that I'd grabbed it for him. Then Rappcats started messaging everyone telling them they oversold, after already sending up confirmations that our orders had finished processing. So, I was lucky to grab the extra, because it became my only copy. The whole thing went haywire and people were pissed everywhere. These were selling out before they were even publicly announced. I grabbed Rappcats order before they even posted about it and it was still canceled.

Eventually, they just had to announce a repress on the spot to deal with it. LITA was the one distributing it to Rappcats, Mr Bongo (UK) -- they sold out first -- and Discunion (only ships in Japan). Along with it, they announced a repress of the Eastern Flowers album that was originally a pressing of 300 and has been listed for $300. Not anymore. LITA is selling the repress for $10 less than Rappcats. Then, this morning, Mr Bongo finally made them available in the UK for everyone overseas that was stressing about it yesterday. Basically, the whole thing was a shit show at a level VMP would be proud of. The main difference is that they resolved it quicker than I've ever seen and communicated with everyone throughout it.

I, for one, am quite thankful for the repressing of both. I missed the first repress of Eastern Flowers by 5 minutes and was glad to have a shot at both that and Wabi Sabi as a result of the snafu. Probably one of the most eclectic batch of sounds I've heard from an artist recently.

I, for one, am quite thankful for the repressing of both. I missed the first repress of Eastern Flowers by 5 minutes and was glad to have a shot at both that and Wabi Sabi as a result of the snafu. Probably one of the most eclectic batch of sounds I've heard from an artist recently.

I feel the same. They definitely pulled it together quick, yesterday. The real fiasco wasn't that it sold out so quick as much as the fact that people believed they had orders and didn't. Not dissimilar to VMP, obviously, except that it didn't take until the next day to months later to inform everyone. I still haven't received my email confirmations from LITA, either, even though my orders are listed in my LITA account and the money has been taken from Pay Pal. Rappcats was obviously the biggest offender with their oversells, not to mention their standard markup on everything. In the end, it worked out and I can finally get Eastern Flowers. There was just a lot of ups and downs in the process. By the time it kind of settled, I realized the VMP drop happened.

Back