Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

IMO the colour scheme of Phoebe Bridgers VMP-variant was one of the best they had in quite some time; it seemed super unique after a few bland choices lately. Seems like I wasn't the only one who got inspired, the Secretly Store Exclusive of Khruangbin looks nearly the same.

View attachment 43578View attachment 43577

I ordered Secretly's Khru & VMP's Phoebe so we'll see which looks better, but you're right, didn't notice how identical these looked

IMO the colour scheme of Phoebe Bridgers VMP-variant was one of the best they had in quite some time; it seemed super unique after a few bland choices lately. Seems like I wasn't the only one who got inspired, the Secretly Store Exclusive of Khruangbin looks nearly the same.

View attachment 43578View attachment 43577
Pretty sure they just took the same mock-up and added some reflection... Even the swirls are the same.

Which is my point. They are charging $22-34 for single discs and probably, at worst, spending 10-12 on each one.

And for the ROTM quantities they are probably spending much less than that and getting a discount on the 100-1000 run exclusives.

They are wasting their own profit but i doubt losing money at this point.
Oh yea. They are not LOSING money, but they are nowhere near maximizing their profits after all these years. But that's why I asked for a refund instead of store credits a few months back when they screwed me over in swaps and oversold. Even with giving you $40 in credits, they are still making money off of screwing you over because the records probably cost $10-12 for them to make.

Khruangbin already sold out? At 1k copies and all the other variants, that's surprising (to me).
I've noticed VMP variants tend to sell out quicker because of the brand name. Case in point, the new Bon Iver record. Newbury sold barely any copies, TTL has the price discounted, and Secretly still has the blue japanese obi edition...but the vmp green somehow keeps selling out. Same with the new Thundercat, their variant wasn't good but it's already gone

I've noticed VMP variants tend to sell out quicker because of the brand name. Case in point, the new Bon Iver record. Newbury sold barely any copies, TTL has the price discounted, and Secretly still has the blue japanese obi edition...but the vmp green somehow keeps selling out. Same with the new Thundercat, their variant wasn't good but it's already gone
VMP has the built-in customer base so that certainly helps. I think the VMP ones sold out because they were in swaps so when people didn't have anything to swap to, they went with that one (it was in swaps again this month). And the "free shipping" gimmick works too. When you see "free shipping", you're more likely to buy it even though it's now included in the price. I also think that VMP saying it was originally only 1K copies made more people buy it initially--they thought it was the most limited, when really it wasn't.

The Japanese blue version did sell out at one point IIRC. The VMP one took really long to sell out as well. I think VMP also offloads albums to other stores to sell as we have seen with quite a few other "exclusives".

Khruangbin already sold out? At 1k copies and all the other variants, that's surprising (to me).

I thought VMP had the coolest variant, although it's basically just a brighter version of the Dead Oceans variant. I had already ordered from DO, so I'm sticking with that. DO shipping is kind of high, so they end up being about the same cost with VMPs higher album cost but "free" shipping. I also added the first Khruangbin album to my DO order for only $11, so I guess it all balances out... ?

I thought VMP had the coolest variant, although it's basically just a brighter version of the Dead Oceans variant. I had already ordered from DO, so I'm sticking with that. DO shipping is kind of high, so they end up being about the same cost with VMPs higher album cost but "free" shipping. I also added the first Khruangbin album to my DO order for only $11, so I guess it all balances out... ?
Yea--the Secretly store variant was something like $28.49 shipped if you aren't a member. I like the wave version better personally. And getting Con Todo El Mundo for $11 is a steal.

Suddenly has the clicking (the newest). Rest of the album sounds incredible though.
I have the standard black of that I got off an Amazon deal and it does sound really good. I've been keeping an eye out for the VMP Swim to pop up somewhere so just wanted to make sure there was no issue there.

Back