Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

@Corycm @GritNGlitter I think we got screwed by amazon canada 😆

Edit: oh wait, Grit missed out on this deal, right? Sorry!
Yes, I missed that because no one I am actually friends with saw that, obviously. ;)

@Heath and I did get a reasonable deal a few months later, no thanks to any of you!

Do y'all remember MoviePass? For those of you who don't - MoviePass was this great service where, for 10 bucks a month, you could see as many movies in theaters as you wanted (up to 1 a day). They'd send you a little MasterCard, you'd select your local theater in the app and choose which movie you want to see, and they'd load enough money on your card for you to buy a ticket to said movie, with no charge to you (sans the flat $10/month rate). For a little while, it was an incredible service for people who really loved the product being provided. It seemed too good to be true - and, after a pretty long while of bliss, it turned out to be just that.

MP was losing money - FAST. So some new investors came in, and pretty soon after, MP kept changing their rules and membership requirements with absolutely no warning. Some of the best aspects of the service, like being able to see a movie multiple times or being able to watch brand new movies right when they come out, were silently struck out of the ToS with no warning whatsoever. Customers complained, of course, but these sudden changes in rules suspiciously happened right around the time of a system overhaul, or a temporarily disabled Customer Support option, or an ugly-ass website redesign that made functionality cumbersome. It was a hassle to even get a modicum of communication, let alone helpful communication. They essentially said "This is the way it is now, you signed up for this, sorry not sorry". More and more features were removed with no warning or explanation, and after a certain point MP wouldn't even bother responding to CS inquiries. Service would randomly be interrupted. Prices shot up astronomically for popular outings - customers sometimes had to pay a >$6 premium, which was never the case before, because the company randomly decided to charge extra sometimes. "Grandfathered" plans were cut off with no explanation, forcing those who wished to continue using the service to sign up for a more expensive plan they were previously guaranteed not having to worry about. "I have altered the deal - pray I don't alter it any further" became an inside joke amongst users. Customers were livid, but there was no official community for all of these lambasters to congregate, just splintered fan-run communities on Reddit and other online avenues.

Things eventually got scummier and scummier. Service would be shut down for weeks at a time. Financial standings would be misreported to investors. They were caught charging multiple subscription fees to customers who had already canceled their accounts months earlier. Customers' accounts were randomly shut down with no explanation other than "you broke this rule we just made up". MoviePass even allegedly changed the passwords of their spendiest customers to lock them out of their account, in a last-ditch effort to stop themselves from hemorrhaging money. The company is dead now, but their astronomically terrible history of fuck-ups serves as the golden playbook of what NOT to do with your company.

Anyways... how's VMP doing? Because from where I'm standing, they're at a "end of paragraph 2" right now.

lol - ended up with a vinyl flat

edit: @Mather I can flatten one for you and send it to t-dot
Haha thanks, I've got a flattener. But actually it was crackle on the song Province that I caused the biggest issues for me. I can flatten any of them, but they all had some of that crackle. But I got one that was almost totally clean so it was fine... after 7 of them...

Definitely. I posted one of my trademark rants over on reddit, fully expecting those fucks to downvote me through the ground like usual, but the opposite happened. I have to take that as a sign that people over there are finally getting pissed, now.

Storf tried to "explain" that the intention with locking people into swaps is to "avoid overselling" which makes absolutely ZERO fucking sense.

EDIT:
Big shift on reddit. Storf is getting downvoted like a fool and someone actually gave me "platinum," which I didn't even know was a thing

So how long until they cancel Reddit? Oh, whoops, they can't ;) I'm sure they will just run and hide as things turn sour and more of the new customer base have negative experiences.

So how long until they cancel Reddit? Oh, whoops, they can't ;) I'm sure they will just run and hide as things turn sour and more of the new customer base have negative experiences.

i cant believe the reddit thing has worked this long. it can be one of the most toxic places on the internet.

Do y'all remember MoviePass? For those of you who don't - MoviePass was this great service where, for 10 bucks a month, you could see as many movies in theaters as you wanted (up to 1 a day). They'd send you a little MasterCard, you'd select your local theater in the app and choose which movie you want to see, and they'd load enough money on your card for you to buy a ticket to said movie, with no charge to you (sans the flat $10/month rate). For a little while, it was an incredible service for people who really loved the product being provided. It seemed too good to be true - and, after a pretty long while of bliss, it turned out to be just that.

MP was losing money - FAST. So some new investors came in, and pretty soon after, MP kept changing their rules and membership requirements with absolutely no warning. Some of the best aspects of the service, like being able to see a movie multiple times or being able to watch brand new movies right when they come out, were silently struck out of the ToS with no warning whatsoever. Customers complained, of course, but these sudden changes in rules suspiciously happened right around the time of a system overhaul, or a temporarily disabled Customer Support option, or an ugly-ass website redesign that made functionality cumbersome. It was a hassle to even get a modicum of communication, let alone helpful communication. They essentially said "This is the way it is now, you signed up for this, sorry not sorry". More and more features were removed with no warning or explanation, and after a certain point MP wouldn't even bother responding to CS inquiries. Service would randomly be interrupted. Prices shot up astronomically for popular outings - customers sometimes had to pay a >$6 premium, which was never the case before, because the company randomly decided to charge extra sometimes. "Grandfathered" plans were cut off with no explanation, forcing those who wished to continue using the service to sign up for a more expensive plan they were previously guaranteed not having to worry about. "I have altered the deal - pray I don't alter it any further" became an inside joke amongst users. Customers were livid, but there was no official community for all of these lambasters to congregate, just splintered fan-run communities on Reddit and other online avenues.

Things eventually got scummier and scummier. Service would be shut down for weeks at a time. Financial standings would be misreported to investors. They were caught charging multiple subscription fees to customers who had already canceled their accounts months earlier. Customers' accounts were randomly shut down with no explanation other than "you broke this rule we just made up". MoviePass even allegedly changed the passwords of their spendiest customers to lock them out of their account, in a last-ditch effort to stop themselves from hemorrhaging money. The company is dead now, but their astronomically terrible history of fuck-ups serves as the golden playbook of what NOT to do with your company.

Anyways... how's VMP doing? Because from where I'm standing, they're at a "end of paragraph 2" right now.

I think you’re right. If they aren’t currently in trouble it’s coming soon.

Haha thanks, I've got a flattener. But actually it was crackle on the song Province that I caused the biggest issues for me. I can flatten any of them, but they all had some of that crackle. But I got one that was almost totally clean so it was fine... after 7 of them...

You don’t just have a flattener. You have THE flattener...

i cant believe the reddit thing has worked this long. it can be one of the most toxic places on the internet.

Some of the redditors have to be VMP staff, right? Have you ever noticed that many VMP posts on instagram are met with fire emojis and/or other praising comments posted within minutes, by Cam, Clay, Emily, a-b and others?

Some of the redditors have to be VMP staff, right? Have you ever noticed that many VMP posts on instagram are met with fire emojis and/or other praising comments posted within minutes, by Cam, Clay, Emily, a-b and others?

Even Lloyd (COO) and Matt (CEO) joined the parade, trying to jump start the $280 Woodstock release.

Screenshot_2019-11-27 Vinyl Me, Please ( vinylmeplease) • Instagram photos and videos.jpg

Some of the redditors have to be VMP staff, right? Have you ever noticed that many VMP posts on instagram are met with fire emojis and/or other praising comments

That's exactly their game. When Idler Wheel dropped, someone commented on reddit that they thought it was odd that VMP would put a 2 copy limit on something that wasn't a limited release. They weren't complaining, but commenting. Storf responded that he was fine with VMP losing sales, since everyone took his head off when Mobb Deep sold out. The commentor then responded by pointing out that those were two different situations, since Mobb Deep was limited to 1,000 and allowed people to buy 5 a piece, and Idler Wheel wasn't limited all. Then reiterated that they weren't complaining and, possibly, even thanked him for commenting. Storf responded that context doesn't matter and that everyone yells at him no matter what he does. He's a victim, you know. Boo hoo. So, I see this on my phone, and Storf's response is at zero and the comment from the other person is at 2 or something. I switch to my laptop from my phone, and within that short transition, Storf is in the positives and this other guy, who wasn't even being disrespectful, is in the negatives. Every comment just asking regular questions was getting the same responses. They have staff trying to silence comments and make them vanish.

That's the one benefit for them on reddit, to downvote comments until they are hidden. But it only works to a point and they have to move quick. They tried it on my reddit comment today, but it was too late. It was already way too high and the mob was already forming from this shit today. I did see a chunk of like 3 or more upvotes for one of Storf's garbage responses, and down votes for everyone on the other side, come in all at once, but that trend reversed and kept going.

Now he's responding to people saying that he's not really involved in the day to day operations. He just writes articles

It's been awhile now so I've forgotten, but why would you purchase this months ROTMs from VMP when they're all readily available elsewhere?

That's crazy, but true. I think that might be the first time all three have had recent reissues. I don't know if scarcity should be the number 1 requirement, but it's definitely a factor for me.

I'm in for Lucille for sure, but I'm debating the other two. (I already have the Aretha on vinyl, and Run DMC on CD.)

So, a i suggest a new Tina replacement for swaps
tenor.gif

It's perfect. He looks so goddam smug about it

So, I see this on my phone, and Storf's response is at zero and the comment from the other person is at 2 or something. I switch to my laptop from my phone, and within that short transition, Storf is in the positives and this other guy, who wasn't even being disrespectful, is in the negatives. Every comment just asking regular questions was getting the same responses. They have staff trying to silence comments and make them vanish.

Err, not quite. Reddit's upvote/downvote calculation has always been a bit... fuzzy, to say the least. Reddit's sitewide algorithm is built to never quite show you the exact karma (total upvotes minus total downvotes) of a post or comment. Once a post or comment gets more than a couple votes, the numbers get weird, and because Reddit tries to put a balance in place for upvotes/downvotes and tries to obfuscate exact numbers, you get issues across the entire site with the upvote number being slightly different each time your refresh the page. This has been a thing for basically as long as Reddit has been a thing, and it's well known amongst people who have been using the site for a few years. I'm not saying it's impossible that your post caught a few downvotes in the time, but a couple of voting discrepancies is hardly enough to base a conspiracy on. The sub averages 30,000 pageviews a day, so even quick changes in votes could much more easily be attributed to just the sheer amount of people looking at the sub daily

That's exactly their game. When Idler Wheel dropped, someone commented on reddit that they thought it was odd that VMP would put a 2 copy limit on something that wasn't a limited release. They weren't complaining, but commenting. Storf responded that he was fine with VMP losing sales, since everyone took his head off when Mobb Deep sold out. The commentor then responded by pointing out that those were two different situations, since Mobb Deep was limited to 1,000 and allowed people to buy 5 a piece, and Idler Wheel wasn't limited all. Then reiterated that they weren't complaining and, possibly, even thanked him for commenting. Storf responded that context doesn't matter and that everyone yells at him no matter what he does. He's a victim, you know. Boo hoo. So, I see this on my phone, and Storf's response is at zero and the comment from the other person is at 2 or something. I switch to my laptop from my phone, and within that short transition, Storf is in the positives and this other guy, who wasn't even being disrespectful, is in the negatives. Every comment just asking regular questions was getting the same responses. They have staff trying to silence comments and make them vanish.

That's the one benefit for them on reddit, to downvote comments until they are hidden. But it only works to a point and they have to move quick. They tried it on my reddit comment today, but it was too late. It was already way too high and the mob was already forming from this shit today. I did see a chunk of like 3 or more upvotes for one of Storf's garbage responses, and down votes for everyone on the other side, come in all at once, but that trend reversed and kept going.

Now he's responding to people saying that he's not really involved in the day to day operations. He just writes articles

I'm guessing this was a big part of their rationale for shutting down the forum and migrating to reddit. While they don't have full control, they can help direct the conversation to their benefit, and do so anonymously.

Impressive. I gave up on a clean Beach House, it was early on in my VMP journey (actually my first record) and I felt guilty going back and asking for more. Seems dumb now!
I went through 3 copies of this to wind up with a semi-satisfying combination of discs to own. I love this record, but this was harsh. The second copy sent had divots/bubbles that made it skip harshly.

Back