Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Can someone explain the hype around When the Pawn... and Tidal, aside from the fact they'd never been pressed on vinyl?

I immediately clicked with Fetch the Bolt Cutters, but I find these earlier albums to be a lot less accessible.
Well, you know how Frank Ocean’s Blonde evokes those deep, sentimental feelings you have, and has that raw, stripped back, beautiful simplicity atmosphere? When The Pawn is the same in that respect! And the more you listen to the album, the more beauty you uncover. When The Pawn is also a lyrical masterpiece like Blonde too! 🖊👌

Trust me, you’re going to want to buy this record when it drops in store! When the album clicks for you, you’ll be experiencing those emotions you never knew you had! 💯🥀🍄

I'm curious what it will look like tomorrow. When The Pawn isn't even the full title and that looks like a pretty shoddy mockup as a place holder
It will look like that I’m guessing. They took the typeface from the original it seems and just tossed that on a solid BG...wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the final.

Well, you know how Frank Ocean’s Blonde evokes those deep, sentimental feelings you have, and has that raw, stripped back, beautiful simplicity atmosphere? When The Pawn is the same in that respect! And the more you listen to the album, the more beauty you uncover. When The Pawn is also a lyrical masterpiece like Blonde too! 🖊👌

Trust me, you’re going to want to buy this record when it drops in store! When the album clicks for you, you’ll be experiencing those emotions you never knew you had! 💯🥀🍄
Heck I don’t even like Blonde and I am excited for When The Pawn... to drop. Jon Brion and Fiona Apple make for a formidable pairing.

It will look like that I’m guessing. They took the typeface from the original it seems and just tossed that on a solid BG...wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the final.

I wonder why it only says "When The Pawn" though. The original still said "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right" on the cover

I wonder why it only says "When The Pawn" though. The original still said "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'fore He Enters the Ring There's No Body to Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land and If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right" on the cover
Right? If the cover is just gonna have the title let's see the whole title. How great would that be?

Right? If the cover is just gonna have the title let's see the whole title. How great would that be?

It would be something at least and make sense. The images we're seeing now don't even show the full title on either the jacket or the album. That's the only real reason that I'm questioning it, but who knows.

I do find it kind of amusing that her first album was literally titled Tidal ("title"). Then it was almost like, with the second, she said, "fine. I have one."

I don't know enough about her history. Was that an intentional move? Is there a story behind that?

It would be something at least and make sense. The images we're seeing now don't even show the full title on either the jacket or the album. That's the only real reason that I'm questioning it, but who knows.

I do find it kind of amusing that her first album was literally titled Tidal ("title"). Then it was almost like, with the second, she said, "fine. I have one."

I don't know enough about her history. Was that an intentional move? Is there a story behind that?

The title is a poem. I remember knowing that at the time, like it was stated in press or whatever. Like its less that its a long ass title and more that she threw a poem on her album cover.

The title is a poem. I remember knowing that at the time, like it was stated in press or whatever. Like its less that its a long ass title and more that she threw a poem on her album cover.

Cool.

I meant more that her first album sounds like the title is "Title," whether that was the intent or not. Then, for When The Pawn and The Idler Wheel, she went bananas. It's like two separate clever approaches to avoid coming up with a standard album title

Oh I know what the original cover looks like/how long the title is but wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the cover at this point.

Maybe this will be the first non-ROTM to have an obi strip and they’ll jam the whole thing on there. That’s what I want!

The real questions are...who is getting 17 copies of this mailed to them by accident? And what will be their incentive to mail back the extra copies? Which bucket will I be in? How long will the site be down for? And how many “drops” will they have to schedule tomorrow for this one release? Which other retailers will they mail this to by accident? Who will get their order cancelled because VMP ”oversold” and watch others subsequently get replacement copies or see this show up in swaps months later?

What do you expect the VMP exclusive When the pawn to cost? $35? As it seems to be a record so many people want, I think they could ask for a high price. Do you think it will be limited and to how many? Or do you think they rather say it may get repressed by them like Fiona's current album?

Can someone explain the hype around When the Pawn... and Tidal, aside from the fact they'd never been pressed on vinyl?

I immediately clicked with Fetch the Bolt Cutters, but I find these earlier albums to be a lot less accessible.
The hype around Tidal was pretty much that 1) it was never on vinyl, and 2) it's the debut album from one of the great songwriters of a generation. I tend to consider the album "fine" but it was important to me in my senior year of high school/college years.

When the Pawn... is one of the great break-up/unrequited love albums of all time. The slightly less restrained, but still somewhat polished follow-up to a hit debut. One of my all-time favorite albums because of its timing, but also the content and singability of the songs. I'm surprised to hear it described as "inaccessible" as it's pretty straighforward in the song structures.
I connected more to Idler Wheel, but for the opposite reason. The early stuff has a dated 90s production style in my opinion. They were trying to make her more accessible and it was all over MTV. When I finally saw her perform those songs live as more raw, stripped down versions, that's when she won me over.

When The Pawn is just something they've been teasing for the last 3 years. That's part of why it's become such a big deal, beyond needing a vinyl release and people simply enjoying it.
Yeah, I wouldn't say When the Pawn... is a big deal in general because of the teasing, but certainly here. When VMP released Tidal they teased the follow up as if it would be released in September or October of the same year. Notsomuch.
Except I think it was a pretty deliberate decision to have an off-putting, long-ass title poem.

i dont really click with fiona apples older music mostly because it felt a lot more safe.. i bet the lyrics are very personal and in depth and human and hurting... but i dont explicitely focus on lyrics and focus more on music, and i like fionas more aggressive and hostile sound on her newer projects, and how her music took away the old jazzier accessible sounds while still being the jazzy art pop is was known for

Def agree it would be great if the whole title was on there. But I doubt it. I’d also just prefer the original cover but cest la vie....Going to set my alarm now.
I’ve set my alarm for 20 minutes before 12PM EST so I can wake up and join in on the hype and gossip that goes on in this thread 10 mins before it drops! 🚨🎉🤭

I’M SO EXCITED! Hopefully the Fiona Apple When The Pawn pressing isn’t limited and if it is, hopefully it’s at least 10k in its pressing quatity! 😁

Back