Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Thermo Fisher treated their warehouse staff like shit in that end. They had cool event kinda things but we were never included......even if it was like a healthy food thing. Oh yeah, that reminds me, the office people always got free fancy lunches but we got nothing lol 🤷‍♂️

I have to guess that was a local manager-type issue. I worked in finance and operations management for them across a few different roles and functions, and ensuring a productive and cooperative work environment was always a priority (plus, we had competition for that labor - if a Costco opened down the street, we'd be fighting to keep our best workers from being poached).

Just refreshed the OP's post. IT WAS BECK that they got 5 of.
Haha thanks, I feel slightly better. But I know somewhere, someone was just sent all 6 albums that I was told there were no replacements for, and the 2 they seemingly cancelled on me with no notice or information... law of averages says it's happened.

Haha thanks, I feel slightly better. But I know somewhere, someone was just sent all 6 albums that I was told there were no replacements for, and the 2 they seemingly cancelled on me with no notice or information... law of averages says it's happened.
It's the rare meeting of Occam's razor and Murphy's law (e.g. shit's fucked)

From VMP's website/privacy policy (emphasis mine):

I'm not a GDPR or privacy expert by any means, but I don't think that any of those regulations assume that the information a company holds on someone is correct at all times. I think it's more about that you have a right to any information kept on you, especially if it allows for personal identification or is sensitive, and that companies are required to disclose what information they keep and why. You also have the right to ask that they delete any information on you. Otherwise they would have to face the EU (I think?).

Data integrity is another matter, but in most cases that falls on the user. This seems different than that though since it was VMP's screw up during the migration.
Yeah, GDPR specifically may not have been the right thing to cite in my original comment. My question is really more about whether they're demonstrating that they have the right levels of control over their system to make this part true:

Vinyl Me, Please endeavors to apply suitable safeguards to protect the privacy and security of your personal data and to use it only consistent with your relationship with Vinyl Me, Please and the practices described in this Privacy Policy.

In other words, not the integrity of the data, but the integrity of the privacy being applied to the data, and whether those failures are indicative of any security/privacy vulnerabilities.

From VMP's website/privacy policy (emphasis mine):

I'm not a GDPR or privacy expert by any means, but I don't think that any of those regulations assume that the information a company holds on someone is correct at all times. I think it's more about that you have a right to any information kept on you, especially if it allows for personal identification or is sensitive, and that companies are required to disclose what information they keep and why. You also have the right to ask that they delete any information on you. Otherwise they would have to face the EU (I think?).

Data integrity is another matter, but in most cases that falls on the user. This seems different than that though since it was VMP's screw up during the migration.

Face the EU hehehehe! Trial by Donald Tusk in front of the commission...

EU member states are under an obligation to transcribe EU law into their national law. It’s actionable in court in the country in which the transaction took place (which is going to be where your computer was so your home country).

Yeah, GDPR specifically may not have been the right thing to cite in my original comment. My question is really more about whether they're demonstrating that they have the right levels of control over their system to make this part true:

In other words, not the integrity of the data, but the integrity of the privacy being applied to the data, and whether those failures are indicative of any security/privacy vulnerabilities.

It is GDPR that governs the controls you put in place over the data you hold and when you can use it and when you should destroy it. A data breach would be by its very nature a breach of GDPR.

The reason I don’t want to comment too far on the VMP end is that I have zero experience of GDPR in terms of eCommerce. I work for a government department and while we hold astronomically larger volumes of data than VMP we hold and use it in a very different way for very different reasons

Last edited:
116 responses, 71.6% in favor of a delay:

Even I want VMP to have a delay! I voted for them to delay! I would have never wanted them to delay production/releases etc in the past. But now, I’m scared that they won’t exist next year because of all those mistakes they are making.....

116 responses, 71.6% in favor of a delay:

If people here are correct about how much all of this is hurting their business, there is no way they could cancel a month. At this point they are probably flying by the seat of their pants from month to month. All of these situations where they are essentially giving away their product for free by shipping 25 copies of one record to a single customer have to be killing them.

If people here are correct about how much all of this is hurting their business, there is no way they could cancel a month. At this point they are probably flying by the seat of their pants from month to month. All of these situations where they are essentially giving away their product for free by shipping 25 copies of one record to a single customer have to be killing them.
Yeah, it seems like they've painted themselves into a corner and are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

They need to halt to fix their data. Because their data is causing them to hemorrhage money.

But if they halt, they won't have any money coming in to stay up and running.

I really really really hope they have a back up of their data from prior to migration. So they can at least reset to a day that they know it was at least correct. And then somehow update that data with the past 2.5 months of chaos. Somehow. Lol. I just gave myself a bit of anxiety thinking about it.

Yeah, it seems like they've painted themselves into a corner and are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

They need to halt to fix their data. Because their data is causing them to hemorrhage money.

But if they halt, they won't have any money coming in to stay up and running.

I really really really hope they have a back up of their data from prior to migration. So they can at least reset to a day that they know it was at least correct. And then somehow update that data with the past 2.5 months of chaos. Somehow. Lol. I just gave myself a bit of anxiety thinking about it.
Seems pretty simple, just mass email everyone asking to reconfirm their data. Wipe everything from the old database and start from scratch.

Even I want VMP to have a delay! I voted for them to delay! I would have never wanted them to delay production/releases etc in the past. But now, I’m scared that they won’t exist next year because of all those mistakes they are making.....
I've only been actively on N&G for a few months, but you seem like one of the biggest VMP fans through thick and thin; so this sentiment from you is very telling about what the past month has caused. Thanks for your input!

What is with the mod over there making shady threats to take it down?
We talked it out offline. They were getting reports (if I had to guess, from that chemm person) and they just didn't want it to spiral. It's all good now.

It'll come down to what's worse for their business - a temporary delay in recognition of revenues vs permanent profit lost by shipping their stock for free to people who didn't order it and having people get fed up and cancel/ask for refunds. I don't know the details so it's hard to say how dire the situation has become for them, but I can't imagine they're feeling good starting 2020 like this.

The reason I don’t want to comment too far on the VMP end is that I have zero experience of GDPR in terms of eCommerce. I work for a government department and while we hold astronomically larger volumes of data than VMP we hold and use it in a very different way for very different reasons
Yeah, my main (albeit limited) experience with it is how my company deals with sensitive patient data which, to your point, is sort of a different beast.

Seems pretty simple, just mass email everyone asking to reconfirm their data. Wipe everything from the old database and start from scratch.

This may actually be all they can do. Cancel everyone and just make everyone sign back up.

Asking everyone to reconfirm - what have you ordered, what have you received, what refunds have you requested/received, what is your address, etc. Not everyone will respond. Not everyone will be honest. Not everyone will be accurate- even unintentionally.

And then if it isn't accurate, how do they then update their data?

They just really can't, at this point, know what they shipped to whom and what is left in that warehouse. Not after sending out 1/4 of their stock on one album to one member, among many other SNAFUs. But maybe I'm making it more complicated that it needs to be? I dunno.

This may actually be all they can do. Cancel everyone and just make everyone sign back up.

Asking everyone to reconfirm - what have you ordered, what have you received, what refunds have you requested/received, what is your address, etc. Not everyone will respond. Not everyone will be honest. Not everyone will be accurate- even unintentionally.

And then if it isn't accurate, how do they then update their data?

They just really can't, at this point, know what they shipped to whom and what is left in that warehouse. Not after sending out 1/4 of their stock on one album to one member, among many other SNAFUs. But maybe I'm making it more complicated that it needs to be? I dunno.
I guess I was speaking more to address, CC info, and the like. Orders and fulfillment issues are beyond me.

Back