Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I’ve been really unimpressed with the classics curation this year. 5 out 12 jazz, 2 of those (Miller and Bobo) really poor albums, only 1 soul album and only 2 blues albums. It’s been a bit of an unbalanced mess imo!
I agree Classics has been hit or miss this year. The hits have been really really great. I have always been willing to swap when a Classics release doesn't speak to me but lately I have found the swaps to be lacking. That's because of two things, one, I've been a member long enough that I've picked up a lot of the things I want and two, they aren't putting any of the releases that have a presale in swaps. I've got six months on my membership and if the swaps situation doesn't improve then I'll rethink what I do.

All that said there are some joints they put out that are amazeballs.

I just tried to renew my sub with that and they said they have 0 in stock, so must be a mistake. Worth a shot though I suppose haha

Biggest surprise for me was no sales tax, even though everything in the US should now be doing sales tax.

I also saw they had a shipping option for $5 if you want it sent now instead of in your next box.

Stop being so negative you! 🧐

VMP get away with it because they have such good taste when it comes to colour variants as well as curation. Plus, their sound quality (particularly their ROTM’s) for the most part is pretty great in my opinion! And they offer free international shipping if you are a member, which is amazing too! 🔥🔥🔥

I love VMP even though they are a very messy company. They are very inconsistent, but come through with great products in my opinion. And their customer service is 👌

There’s a reason why VMP are the biggest vinyl subscription company 💁‍♂️

Personally I think VMPs curation is hot trash. The classics track has been done well, but even those releases are also being done by other people and often of equal or greater quality in terms of the pressing. Do the listening notes actually make VMPs pressings "special"? I don't think so.

The Exclusives are almost always released by somebody else or have already been pressed recently. VMPs color variant may be worth it but it is waaaaaaay less worth it now given the $32 for a single and $40 for 2LP thing they seem to be doing.

The hip-hop track and releases have been particularly bad. Some of it has been nice to be able to buy for me. The De La records for instance, but because they didn't work with the band and worked through Tommy Boy there were issues there too. The stencil is one of the dumbest extras ever to be released with a vinyl record and things like Tical were widely available elsewhere at the time of release.

If people really like the color variants and that's your thing I see why it makes sense, but VMP has only gotten less and less special over the years to me and their curation seems less than original.

If you then add in the constant quality control and logistics issues.... I don't really understand the love

Personally I think VMPs curation is hot trash. The classics track has been done well, but even those releases are also being done by other people and often of equal or greater quality in terms of the pressing. Do the listening notes actually make VMPs pressings "special"? I don't think so.

The Exclusives are almost always released by somebody else or have already been pressed recently. VMPs color variant may be worth it but it is waaaaaaay less worth it now given the $32 for a single and $40 for 2LP thing they seem to be doing.

The hip-hop track and releases have been particularly bad. Some of it has been nice to be able to buy for me. The De La records for instance, but because they didn't work with the band and worked through Tommy Boy there were issues there too. The stencil is one of the dumbest extras ever to be released with a vinyl record and things like Tical were widely available elsewhere at the time of release.

If people really like the color variants and that's your thing I see why it makes sense, but VMP has only gotten less and less special over the years to me and their curation seems less than original.

If you then add in the constant quality control and logistics issues.... I don't really understand the love

I think with us internationally the free shipping and the mail fraud, meaning they are artificially low priced, goes a long way. The shine has still very much worn off over here.

I think with us internationally the free shipping and the mail fraud, meaning they are artificially low priced, goes a long way. The has still very much worn off over here.

Yep, I was going to say something about that but had already said too much.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense to give them your cash for certain reasons international customer, really like their particular colorway, think you'll be able to flip your purchase immediately for profit, but the idea that their curation and product is "special" is super over-blown.

Back