Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I probably had more CMJ discs than AOL starter coasters (never had an AOL account aside from AIM)... but only barely
Is AOL still a thing? I was on vacation with my wife's family a few weeks ago and when my father in law was cheap checking his email I head "You've got mail". It can't be.... Right?

Is AOL still a thing? I was on vacation with my wife's family a few weeks ago and when my father in law was cheap checking his email I head "You've got mail". It can't be.... Right?

The majority of the US does not have high speed internet available to them. Dial up, and yes- AOL, is still big in especially rural areas.

Anyone else subscribe to CMJ New Music Monthly in the 90s? I don't think I have many, if any, of those CDs anymore.

Yes. I subscribed for quite awhile. 4 or 5 years. Discovered many great bands that way. I have most of my old CDs at my parents' house but I'm sure I still have all of them somewhere.

I still have my @aim.com email as my beater where all the random shit I’ve signed up for and spam goes to die. Seriously I have about 100k unread messages. FB, EBay and PayPal are all hooked up to that email too. It’s a problem that I have no energy to fix :ROFLMAO:

I still have my @aim.com email as my beater where all the random shit I’ve signed up for and spam goes to die. Seriously I have about 100k unread messages. FB, EBay and PayPal are all hooked up to that email too. It’s a problem that I have no energy to fix :ROFLMAO:

I dropped my aol account, and then I tried to update my myspace account email address. But you can only change the email by replying to the email they send to the one on the account. Also, I didn't have my last name on my myspace account. If you tried to befriend me it would ask you for my last name or my email address. It was very unlikely that you would get either correct!

Something cool has happened since I handed my training wheels back to VMP and started riding on my own again. I'm still purchasing the cream of crop (limited exclusives, ROTMs etc..).of everything VMP releases, but spending less than I was as a member.

Admittedly, I'm giving flippers a little extra for mint releases of OOS stuff, but I can afford to do that and still save $$$ in my wallet because I'm not being FOMO'd into all the other albums they peddle, that I wouldn't have looked twice at in the real world.

Hahahahaha! Word.

I remember going to my local craft beer store years ago (maybe a decade even?) when living in Boston, the store was literally called "Craft". The owners were pretty intense, and I asked about Goose Island beers, because I had recently been to Chicago and enjoyed them. I got a stare. It was uncomfortable for a few seconds. The woman told me they no longer – and will never – carry Goose Island anymore, because they had literally been bought out by Ab-InBev that week, and this was a craft beer supporting store, not a conglomerate supporting store. Our conversation was very pleasant after that moment; she was obviously pissed off Goose Island had gone that route, and my question struck a raw chord. Her other recs for my beer preferences were spot-on.

Now I live in Philly and my brother in NYC lives 5 blocks from Other Half brewery, so my beer life is absurdly charmed, as I pick up their stuff when I visit. If you are an IPA/DIPA fan, and have had Other Half, you'll know what I'm talking about. Some of the best IPAs/DIPAs in the world.

Ha, sub in San Diego and St. Archer after they got sold to Miller Coors, and I've had the same interaction. Ballast Point seems to get a pass on that conversation though.

I dropped my aol account, and then I tried to update my myspace account email address. But you can only change the email by replying to the email they send to the one on the account. Also, I didn't have my last name on my myspace account. If you tried to befriend me it would ask you for my last name or my email address. It was very unlikely that you would get either correct!

I will say, as somebody who mostly processes online orders for a living, I'd say that maybe 15-20% still come from AOL email addresses.

I know Vinyl Moon is also mildly successful but I feel that sub is more about music discovery of unknown artists (and great packaging) than anything else.
Yeah. I don't do Vinyl Moon since I'm at least trying to keep my vinyl collection mostly stuff I know I'll actually listen to. So I stick to label-run clubs like Magnolia or Secretly where I enjoy most of the output, or a club that allows swaps.

Mixtapes on vinyl never really made sense to me, unless it’s a soundtrack. The experience is all about listening to a cohesive unit, whether it be an album or a soundtrack (that resonates with the film). If I wanted to listen to a Spotify playlist, I’d open up Spotify. Just my personal preference.

Late Night Tales?

Back