Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I've seen a couple labels just in the last month saying they are now working with !K7. IIRC correctly they are located in Berlin but have their warehouse in Austria. Problem right now in Europe is that we have two huge markets with UE and England and to be efficient, they would have to have shipments options from both areas.

Also, I am not sure they have that many subscribers out of USA and even less in Europe. I don't know if it would make sense for them to go through the process of building a partnership deal somewhere in Europe. Meanwhile, they waste thousands of dollars to have their records shipped from Europe to their warehouse, from their warehouse to subscribers in Europe and then, of course, free shipping replacements.
i'm SURE those replacements + shipping are tax writeoffs for them. and sending more packages lowers their overall shipping per unit prices apparently (which is why they don't really do "bundled" shipping despite saying it's an option).

Haven't been the any Nordic countries but we were surprised at the language skills in Portugal.

In Portugal they do no francisize, or portuguize, like they do in France. Movies, series or other TV programs are not translated, they only add subtitles. Names are pronounced in the right way in the radio so Portuguese people are used to hear English pronounced correctly. Hence why Portuguese people are good at English.

In Portugal they do no francisize, or portuguize, like they do in France. Movies, series or other TV programs are not translated, they only add subtitles. Names are pronounced in the right way in the radio so Portuguese people are used to hear English pronounced correctly. Hence why Portuguese people are good at English.

I’d have thought that in southern Portugal the tourist trade would also have had a large impact on that as well. The Spanish are excellent at English too because of the numbers of tourists that flock there from Britain and Ireland

One of the taxi drivers we chatted up mentioned it was mandatory to take a second language. A quick google search looks like most have to take English from grades 3-9.

One of the taxi drivers we chatted up mentioned it was mandatory to take a second language. A quick google search looks like most have to take English from grades 3-9.

Yeah in Britain they have to take a second language in school from 11-16 too. 99% take French. About 2% of those know more than Je M’Apple, J’ai x ans or Ou est le piscine/garre?

Cultural factors definitely play as much, probably more, of a role.

I’d have thought that in southern Portugal the tourist trade would also have had a large impact on that as well. The Spanish are excellent at English too because of the numbers of tourists that flock there from Britain and Ireland

It certainly helps yes but you will find a lot of Portuguese who do not have any job related to tourism but they still have good English skills. Everything helps, many books are not translated neither so if you want to read them it's in English.

Due to the fact that a lot of Portuguese people moved to France in the 60s/70s, French was their first option as second language and it stayed this way until the 90s. From now on, English is first and it's very normal for a Portuguese to speak Spanish. They even created the Portugnol language, which is a mix of Portuguese and Spanish.

Yeah in Britain they have to take a second language in school from 11-16 too. 99% take French. About 2% of those know more than Je M’Apple, J’ai x ans or Ou est le piscine/garre?

Cultural factors definitely play as much, probably more, of a role.
I would love to know how most people from Yorkshire get on with French.

My father moved to France and they told him he was unteachable because of his accent. I'm a bilingual Canadian and it's terrible by any standards.

I would love to know how most people from Yorkshire get on with French.

My father moved to France and they told him he was unteachable because of his accent. I'm a bilingual Canadian and it's terrible by any standards.

I’m originally from north Nottinghamshire so South Yorkshire is very close. It’s an accent but in the grand scheme of things it’s not geordie or scouse either.

There are two big problems with English people. One they assume everyone can speak English or if they can’t that there’s something wrong with the other country. And two they make no attempt at pronunciation, they just try and say the words phonetically as if they were in English….

And two they make no attempt at pronunciation, they just try and say the words phonetically as if they were in English….

I have seen this with French people. I remember having lunch at a restaurant in Greece and close from us was a French lady talking in French to the waiter like if he was dumb. Like very slow and articulating so he could understand. Poor guy probably knows more in English, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian and of course Greek than she knows in French.

I have seen this with French people. I remember having lunch at a restaurant in Greece and close from us was a French lady talking in French to the waiter like if he was dumb. Like very slow and articulating so he could understand. Poor guy probably knows more in English, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian and of course Greek than she knows in French.

My dad has graduated from the this to the point, nod and thumbs up method…

madres_store.jpg

Back