Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I was curious to see when was the last time I bought a non-jazz exclusive that was a "new artist discovery" and it turns out it was exactly a year ago with the All Things Blue Rising release.
my last two seem to be Jaunt and JLloyd - Kosmos. i think i have listened to each of them approximately once.

my last two seem to be Jaunt and JLloyd - Kosmos. i think i have listened to each of them approximately once.
That's a bummer. I will say I really did like All Things Blue (I'm spinning it right now) but it was an early precursor of how 2021 would shape up: going through multiple copies due to warping/surface noise issues from a Gz pressing.

Part of the appeal of VMP for me was always discovering new artists I otherwise might have never heard of, but QC issues and price increases kind of put a damper on that. Now I usually don't bother sampling a new drop I'm unfamiliar with unless other people are hyping it.
Same here. It was fun for a while but I’m much pickier nowadays.

Irma Thomas secured. Ready to Die was a tempting add-on to flip in three months but I just am not that kinda fella. I'll just keep spinning the copy I picked up in 2018.
My wife paid way too much thankfully for a copy like a year and a half ago for my birthday from a flipper on Amazon so didn't have to enter this madness...but there's also the general repress for those who missed out. My local still has copies for $40 CAD.

Happy to see another Irma Thomas swap here, this is a gem I think. Of course I would have been all over Ready To Die too had a very generous friend and fellow VMP subscriber not already gifted me his copy a few years ago.

Damn, didn’t get to swaps in time for biggie. Was going to nab it for my kiddo. If anybody got an extra I’d be happy to buy it
Do you NEED to VMP version? Because there's a newer press out there.

EDIT: Not sure how shipping is to the US, but it's pretty cheap to Canada from here.

Oh geez, didn’t even realize that 🤦🏼‍♂️ Thanks. Is it essentially the same mastering and everything minus the color?
Hmmm...from what I'm reading the 2021 doesn't have the "OG Samples" that the VMP version does. Not sure exactly where the missing samples are but I guess there's the downside.
There are 2 tracks impacted: Machine Gun Funk & Ready to Die. Personally this album is a classic for me so it's easy to notice the omissions because they make the choruses seem less lively

The original Machine Gun Funk has a sample of some singing and trumpets (0:50 second mark) from Up for the Down Stroke by Fred Wesley:

versus

The original Ready to Die has a sample of a horn section (1:05 mark) from Singing in the Morning by Ohio Players:

versus

It's a huge difference for me but for others it may not be that huge of a deal

There are 2 tracks impacted: Machine Gun Funk & Ready to Die. Personally this album is a classic for me so it's easy to notice the omissions because they make the choruses seem less lively

The original Machine Gun Funk has a sample of some singing and trumpets (0:50 second mark) from Up for the Down Stroke by Fred Wesley:

versus

The original Ready to Die has a sample of a horn section (1:05 mark) from Singing in the Morning by Ohio Players:

versus

It's a huge difference for me but for others it may not be that huge of a deal

Got it...for me Machine Gun Funk is a greater crime than Ready to Die. I'm not even sure where this would stack up in my collection for general shittiness:

- MF DOOM "Mm..Food" missing the Sesame Street sample on Kookies.
- A clean version of "Slippin'" on DMX's "The Legacy"
- No Gangsta Boo verse on RTJ 2

Hip hop keeps getting the shaft on vinyl.

Damn, didn’t get to swaps in time for biggie. Was going to nab it for my kiddo. If anybody got an extra I’d be happy to buy it

This is purely speculative on my part, but I fully expect Ready to Die to show up in the VMP store some time after February 1. If you're fine waiting a couple of weeks and paying what I assume is gonna be $40 for a double LP ROTM, that might be your best bet.

This is purely speculative on my part, but I fully expect Ready to Die to show up in the VMP store some time after February 1. If you're fine waiting a couple of weeks and paying what I assume is gonna be $40 for a double LP ROTM, that might be your best bet.
Yeah I was going to probably swap a track for credit anyway, so if it does show up that’ll be cool.

Back