Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Ah good spot, I never made the connection with them before now otherwise I might have noticed. Ah damn, that’s not good news. I can’t remember having issues with Shabaka’s other releases but I also can’t recall being blown away by the pressing either. Good time to revisit I think!
The Electric mastering on Ancestors was good, but the VMP pressing wasn't. But that was pressed at Hand Drawn. The mastering and pressing of "Your Queen Is A Reptile" both sucked and that was Electric again but the pressing plant isn't listed.

Last edited:
The Electric mastering on Ancestors was good, but the pressing wasn't. But that was pressed at Hand Drawn. The mastering and pressing of "Your Queen" both sucked and that was Electric again but the pressing plant isn't listed.
HDP usually says HDP on every side though, so definitely something weird happened there.

HDP usually says HDP on every side though, so definitely something weird happened there.
Looking back at Ancestors, it shows GZ for the standard press and Hand Drawn for the VMP. Seems unlikely though. Could be Discogs has it wrong and it's actually GZ for both. Anyhow, either way the VMP pressing was garbage.

My only experience with Furnace is the VMP Erroll Garner record which is a nice pressing. I thought I heard at the time they were the US devision of Pallas or something? I might be making that up.

Looking back at Ancestors, it shows GZ for the standard press and Hand Drawn for the VMP. Seems unlikely though. Could be Discogs has it wrong and it's actually GZ. Anyhow, either way the VMP pressing was garbage.
The standard US says it is the same as the VMP, but I'm not sure if someone copied it off the VMP listing or if it is correct. VMP is correct. I'll have to spin it again to see if I was as unlucky with pressing issues as I don't remember obvious problems but maybe I was less critical since it was free.

It's completely mad. This isn't the best example because I imagine there are a few sites/shops that have it cheaper with shipping, but the average is about the same from what I have seen.

The majority of VMP releases come out at cheaper than here in the UK (free shipping helps), it really is messed up.

To be fair, whilst no one has ever complained at this, that’s solely because they don’t correctly declare the customs value on the packages so you don’t pay the VAT/customs charges that should be due on them 😂

The standard US says it is the same as the VMP, but I'm not sure if someone copied it off the VMP listing or if it is correct. VMP is correct. I'll have to spin it again to see if I was as unlucky with pressing issues as I don't remember obvious problems but maybe I was less critical since it was free.
The VMP Ancestors pressing is one of the worst I’ve seen in the past year or so. I think I went through 4 copies and couldn’t even cobble together one good set. Warps, off-centre, repetitive clicks. You name it.

Looking back at Ancestors, it shows GZ for the standard press and Hand Drawn for the VMP. Seems unlikely though. Could be Discogs has it wrong and it's actually GZ for both. Anyhow, either way the VMP pressing was garbage.

I save the pages of Exclusives I buy in case VMP pulls some shenanigans (usually with how the vinyl looks). Here's the pressing info from Shabaka:

shabaka.PNG

I save the pages of Exclusives I buy in case VMP pulls some shenanigans (usually with how the vinyl looks). Here's the pressing info from Shabaka:

View attachment 93827
Yeah that tracks with what's in Cogs. So I guess hopefully Furnace does a better job with pressing this version than Hand Drawn did. But looking at Furnaces "Hollow Knight Soundtrack" reviews they botched that one, and I could only find one other release of theirs with multiple reviews .. they haven't done much... Certainly no big releases that I could find.

The VMP Ancestors pressing is one of the worst I’ve seen in the past year or so. I think I went through 4 copies and couldn’t even cobble together one good set. Warps, off-centre, repetitive clicks. You name it.

I must have gotten lucky with my copy then. Not at all warped and I noticed little (if any) surface noise. I also have a standard black of their first album and that one has numerous clicks and pops on it, so I found the VMP pressing of the follow-up to be quite superior.

To be fair, whilst no one has ever complained at this, that’s solely because they don’t correctly declare the customs value on the packages so you don’t pay the VAT/customs charges that should be due on them 😂
Oh completely and it's something that has been brought up here a few times, but at the end of the day it's still cheaper.

Oh completely and it's something that has been brought up here a few times, but at the end of the day it's still cheaper.
So like... if they get caught.... who busts them and how much are those fees?

So like... if they get caught.... who busts them and how much are those fees?
I might be wrong but I think they have tried (big try!) to justify it in the past by saying the subscription is the fee and that the actual value of their store items is low. Completely ridiculous but perhaps that seems to fly.

There was a time a few years ago where there were rumours of them removing free international shipping and adding custom fees. I believe some people here in the UK even got charged customs for a while. In that case, I think I'm correct in saying VMP paid the fees when people sent emails to them. I remember stating I would cancel if I got hit with a fee but it never happened.

Back