Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I Agree that outkast would be popular but it looks like the main baduh releases are widely available already
Yeah, Erykah Badu’s first two releases are widely available but I think it will be like Buena Vista Social Club & The White Stripes in that a lot of people don’t have the album, and would want to get the VMP pressing!

Yeah, it is damn expensive! I mean, the drops earlier this morning proved that! The Peace’s “Black Power” was USD$33 for the members price! That’s expensive for a non-audiophile pressing! Even the LateNightTales exclusive was expensive too!

Luckily I wasn’t interested in the LateNightTales exclusive! I didn’t buy the Black Power exclusive though because it was just too expensive!

The Phase 7 and Al Green recent exclusives were priced really well, but The Peace‘s Black Power was just too expensive for me, especially as it’s an album I haven’t heard and the genre of music is really up my alley!

Yeah, Erykah Badu’s first two releases are widely available but I think it will be like Buena Vista Social Club & The White Stripes in that a lot of people don’t have the album, and would want to get the VMP pressing!
After the bsvc being more or less the same as the previous issue and the white stripes supposedly sounding worse than the previous release I'd be cautious

After the bsvc being more or less the same as the previous issue and the white stripes supposedly sounding worse than the previous release I'd be cautious
Yeah, that was such a shame the VMP pressing for White Stripes doesn’t sound as good as the previous TMR vault pressing!

it’s still a decent sounding pressing in my opinion, but it’s nowhere near as good as all the other Essential ROTM’s from this year, which have all sounded great so far!

Not sure what went wrong with Third Man Records/the mastering on this VMP The White Stripes release...?

If VMP do Erykah Badu, I’ll happily replace my current copies with the VMP ones! The VMP Worldwide Underground exclusive sounds much better than the original pressing!

I would be confident that VMP’s pressing would sound just as good, if not better. Especially as it’s not a Third Man Records label release!

Reactions: Jan

Despite increasingly thinking that i'd rather pay less for black than inflated for a funky colour (Nubya Garcia indie aside) I really like what they did with BVSC. It's great.

Despite increasingly thinking that i'd rather pay less for black than inflated for a funky colour (Nubya Garcia indie aside) I really like what they did with BVSC. It's great.
Mmmm I haven’t gotten mine yet, but people are saying that their Buena Vista Social Club is the best sounding VMP record they own, so I’m sure it will be a stellar sounding pressing!

It does suck that the White Stripes does sound inferior to the previous pressings though! I love De Stijl so will be happy to bite on when it gets reissued again by Third Man Records! I’ve ordered Elephant, as reviews for the current reissue are very positive! Looking forward to spinning it! 😊

Mmmm I haven’t gotten mine yet, but people are saying that their Buena Vista Social Club is the best sounding VMP record they own, so I’m sure it will be a stellar sounding pressing!

It does suck that the White Stripes does sound inferior to the previous pressings though! I love De Stijl so will be happy to bite on when it gets reissued again by Third Man Records! I’ve ordered Elephant, as reviews for the current reissue are very positive! Looking forward to spinning it! 😊

I say this as a massive White Stripes fan... it's garage rock. If they are going to fuzz up a pressing iot was probably the most appropriate one to do it to.... and it doesn't sound bad. It just doesn't sound as good as it could have.

But that's not getting away from the fact that, as far as I've been able to work out, aside from Classics the majority of Essentials/ R+HH aren't going to out preform other existing versions. Not least because they'll use the same mastering and/ or plates as at least one previous iteration of the record so it is disingenuous of VMP to imply that you get some sort of special, better sounding enhanced version as you don't. You just get it in a more punky, funky and sometimes chunky colour. BVSC is the prime example. There is nothing anywhere that suggests they have done anything but repressed an existing version so it should sound just as good as that existing version. However, it was packaged superbly and, i think this is the first and only time I'll say this, it had a rather smashing print in there too just for that nice bit of added value. Plus mine was one of the flattest records they've ever sent me. That's the minimum expectation met but it's enough for me to think they are capable of doing things well should they be so inclined.

VMP responding to someone asking for a heavy metal ROTM by saying they've done Black Sabbath... and Queens of the Stone Age. I admit I'm not overly familiar with QOTSA but I don't think that's what the original poster had in mind.

QOTSA is literally hard rock. I find it funny that VMP is so not into doing metal music that they’re just like: “oh yeah, did you see all this other music that isn’t metal that we’ve done? It shares a single instrument between them so therefore you could compare them!” That’s like saying any music with singing is at all comparable to each other.
VMP is definitely not a serious music club, I agree with that! But they’re definitely the best music club, and they do great exclusives, even though their exclusives are pretty expensive!

Like any other Music Club, VMP is based on the taste of the curators and the partnerships they can make and maintain in the industry.
Obviously Metal doesn't fit either one or both of those categories. Which is fine. The problem isnt that VMP isnt doing Metal (especially to me), it's that they're not that self aware about it.

It was refreshing yesterday when someone pointed out on Twitter they don't do alot of electronic and they responded that the response hasn't been great and so many electronic labels already do a great job pressing their own albums. That was an honest understandable answer, and not "But RANDOM ALBUM has elements of electronic"

I'm not a big Metal fan with some exceptions (Nine Inch Nails (one of my favorite bands/artists of all time), Tool, Manson, Sabbath, System, Sleep, etc) but would definitely be open to more metal picks to expand that (or a rock track that also included Punk, alt-rock, garage rock, etc). But I also completely understand if the interest isnt there especially from Storf, who seems not a huge metal fan.

But they should just say, it is not a huge genre of interest, hasnt been a big seller, labels havent seemed interested in pressing on vinyl, etc. Even the famous "that information is above your pay grade". Don't say albums are metal when they are clearly not. You can just say that they have some hard rock offerings recently or coming out, but nothing "metal" as of now.

Like any other Music Club, VMP is based on the taste of the curators and the partnerships they can make and maintain in the industry.
Obviously Metal doesn't fit either one or both of those categories. Which is fine. The problem isnt that VMP isnt doing Metal (especially to me), it's that they're not that self aware about it.

It was refreshing yesterday when someone pointed out on Twitter they don't do alot of electronic and they responded that the response hasn't been great and so many electronic labels already do a great job pressing their own albums. That was an honest understandable answer, and not "But RANDOM ALBUM has elements of electronic"

I'm not a big Metal fan with some exceptions (Nine Inch Nails (one of my favorite bands/artists of all time), Tool, Manson, Sabbath, System, Sleep, etc) but would definitely be open to more metal picks to expand that (or a rock track that also included Punk, alt-rock, garage rock, etc). But I also completely understand if the interest isnt there especially from Storf, who seems not a huge metal fan.

But they should just say, it is not a huge genre of interest, hasnt been a big seller, labels havent seemed interested in pressing on vinyl, etc. Even the famous "that information is above your pay grade". Don't say albums are metal when they are clearly not. You can just say that they have some hard rock offerings recently or coming out, but nothing "metal" as of now.

1599143748932.png

The only proper heavy metal album I think I own is Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet. To be honest though Jon Bon and the lads are just a bit to thrashy for me and I like a bit more melody with my tunes and less ultra anger and aggression so I haven't gone much further into the genre (although full disclosure I did own a Def Leppard t-shirt as a 10 year old so did have a bit of a metal thing about me then)

The only proper heavy metal album I think I own is Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet. To be honest though Jon Bon and the lads are just a bit to thrashy for me and I like a bit more melody with my tunes and less ultra anger and aggression so I haven't gone much further into the genre (although full disclosure I did own a Def Leppard t-shirt as a 10 year old so did have a bit of a metal thing about me then)

Yeah, that's my problem with Metal. It's just too "tough guy"and angry me for me. Which I get is appealing to alot of people (along with many other reasons) but not really my thing. I'm sure there is a good amount of Metal that doesn't fit that mold and that I'd like but I already listen to way to much music to properly enjoy anyway, I don't need to dive in to another genre.

But that doesnt change they should still be a little more self aware with Metal. I love Country and I know alot of people don't. If VMP didnt do country for some reason, then that's cool but I wouldnt want them to say "well we did Jim Sullivan and he's very folksy".

Plus the advertisement for Essentials saids "we’ll send you the best of indie rock, metal, rap, folk, country, and even funk by an Ethiopian legend". It's kind of odd of odd to put that as the second listed genre when they've had a grand total of 1 Metal release.

For VMP not to be aware of what metal fans will pay for an album is tone-deaf at best, and completely ignorant at worst.

I'm in some metal sales groups on Facebook, you should see what they spend.
But if they don't have people on board who can curate that it's better to let it be. The grateful dead box set is a perfect testament to pursuing a project because you think a certain demographic spends much money on records without having the knowledge to create something suited for that group

I'm not judging, but I think this is the first time I've ever heard Bon Jovi referred to as thrashy, angry, or aggressive. That's just...super.

did this clowns just bump their store prices the last couple of days, trying to spend 40$ credit .. might just grab the Ellington and get out ? or wait for a sale ?

For VMP not to be aware of what metal fans will pay for an album is tone-deaf at best, and completely ignorant at worst.

Well it's not like VMP is trying really hard to maximize their business-decision:cost ratio here. All the things that people complain about them are things that, if they fixed, they'd make more money (i.e. shoddy quality control, terrible shipping practices, inventory control, customer relations). The thing that people are seem most upset about is they want to give VMP money for product and VMP takes every opportunity to shit the bed.

Back