Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I wanted to say, in regards to my post earlier, it just rubs me the wrong way for a company to blatantly take advantage of the FOMO market as they've been doing as of late. I know that's just business as usual when it comes to vinyl exclusives these days, and not solely a VMP thing, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I understand my post came off as accusatory towards VMP and I usually try to not in jump in on beating up on them as a company, but that specific line just set something in me off, I guess. It wasn't meant as anything more or less.

I think it's the first time an exclusive drop actually sold out -- at least the same day -- since the new forum. This doesn't bother me. It bothered me when they didn't even post about De La Soul Is Dead in their exclusive thread. The way they are setting up the tracks to sell out is what's bullshit. This one was obviously going to move fast. Plus, it sounds like it took at least 10 minutes for Pinata to sell out. Try grabbing a Daupe release off bandcamp. This is nothing.

I think it's the first time an exclusive drop actually sold out -- at least the same day -- since the new forum. This doesn't bother me. It bothered me when they didn't even post about De La Soul Is Dead in their exclusive thread. The way they are setting up the tracks to sell out is what's bullshit. This one was obviously going to move fast. Plus, it sounds like it took at least 10 minutes for Pinata to sell out. Try grabbing a Daupe release off bandcamp. This is nothing.
Yeah and that's part of what I wanted to clarify. My comment was misaimed frustration. The things you mentioned are the real issues - this wasn't worth getting worked up over. It's all about context. Knowing the issues VMP has been having with delays and stock problems, the tweet felt like an extension of that. I can see now that wasn't really the case.

@Mr Moore - What are some romantic things to do in London, especially if you are by yourself/solo
There's only one "romantic" thing I know how to do when I'm by myself.

Also, Tower Bridge is extremely cool and even if you're not a history person, spend a couple hours if you can spare them in the British Museum. It's where they store all the shit they stole from everyone else over the centuries.

There's only one "romantic" thing I know how to do when I'm by myself.
giphy.gif

FWIW, TLC bundle and Sonny Rollins entered the Low Stock zone (est. 40 copies).

Damn, I was hoping Sonny would stick around for a while and make it to swaptions. Whelp, I just dropped 60 bucks on MadGibbs so I'm gonna have to let it go... but maybe I'll get lucky and it'll make a brief surprise return to the store in a few months like how Stella Donnelly did.

Also, what’s the best way to experience London romantically? I really like romance and I like going to romantic places! I’m a really romantic guy.

@Mr Moore - What are some romantic things to do in London, especially if you are by yourself/solo

It sounds like you have great plans and you'll be sure to take in the romance of the city doing what you intend.
The London Eye has spectacular views on clear days as does the Sky Garden at 20 Fenchurch St, (colloquially The Walkie Talkie Building) as I'm sure The Shard would too but I've never been up.
Greenwich Park is my favourite of the London Royal Parks. It's a manageable size, hilly where a lot are flat, there's a lovely Henry Moore (no relation) sculpture, the Observatory is a gorgeous building and the views across the city from there are wonderful, you can straddle two hemispheres and if you're there late enough as dusk arrives you'll see the green laser they emit to mark 0° longitude which flies across the sky to the horizon. It's real close to the river too so there are plenty of nice bars, cafes and restaurants to spend the evening staring into water which always does it for me!
Do check out the Tower. There are few places in modern capital cities where such well preserved millennia old buildings still exist and it is special. From there walk over Tower Bridge to the south side and walk westward along the river past City Hall, take in the vast size of HMS Belfast moored on the river, then the Golden Hinde that's dry docked by Southwark Cathedral and straight into Borough Market where you'll find some of the best food in the city, both produce and ready to eat. Continue along the Southbank where there's often great buskers (I first heard Portico Quartet there when they were just Portico playing for pennies), a cool young and arty vibe exists down there, from skateboarding gangs and graffiti littered tunnels to the Tate Modern which is itself a stunning modern architectural treat even if you don't like the art within. Do remember though, all London Museums are free to enter (you only pay entry to special exhibitions) so even if you stay 10 minutes and figure it's not for you, you've lost nothing other than those 10 minutes and you may just find yourself breathtaken by a Picasso, a Kandinsky or a Rothko.
Continue west and you'll get to the Eye and have stunning views of Westminster and Parliament. Cross Westminster Bridge if you want to get closer and then walk north into Soho where the bars are kicking. Old Compton Street is the most gay friendly neighbourhood in town, Ronnie Scott's and the Soho Pizza Express where you'll see Joel Ross are just up the road. Soho Square and Golden Square are both really hip open spaces in the nice weather where the young arty set just hang shoulder to shoulder with the homeless and more edgy characters. And Berwick Street has a great street food market during the day and leads to the quintet of record shops in close proximity, Sounds of the Universe, Reckless, Sister ray, If Music & Phonica.
Whatever you do, it's hard not to find something in this city that's for you. If you need any further tips while you're here, feel free to DM me.

It sounds like you have great plans and you'll be sure to take in the romance of the city doing what you intend.
The London Eye has spectacular views on clear days as does the Sky Garden at 20 Fenchurch St, (colloquially The Walkie Talkie Building) as I'm sure The Shard would too but I've never been up.
Greenwich Park is my favourite of the London Royal Parks. It's a manageable size, hilly where a lot are flat, there's a lovely Henry Moore (no relation) sculpture, the Observatory is a gorgeous building and the views across the city from there are wonderful, you can straddle two hemispheres and if you're there late enough as dusk arrives you'll see the green laser they emit to mark 0° longitude which flies across the sky to the horizon. It's real close to the river too so there are plenty of nice bars, cafes and restaurants to spend the evening staring into water which always does it for me!
Do check out the Tower. There are few places in modern capital cities where such well preserved millennia old buildings still exist and it is special. From there walk over Tower Bridge to the south side and walk westward along the river past City Hall, take in the vast size of HMS Belfast moored on the river, then the Golden Hinde that's dry docked by Southwark Cathedral and straight into Borough Market where you'll find some of the best food in the city, both produce and ready to eat. Continue along the Southbank where there's often great buskers (I first heard Portico Quartet there when they were just Portico playing for pennies), a cool young and arty vibe exists down there, from skateboarding gangs and graffiti littered tunnels to the Tate Modern which is itself a stunning modern architectural treat even if you don't like the art within. Do remember though, all London Museums are free to enter (you only pay entry to special exhibitions) so even if you stay 10 minutes and figure it's not for you, you've lost nothing other than those 10 minutes and you may just find yourself breathtaken by a Picasso, a Kandinsky or a Rothko.
Continue west and you'll get to the Eye and have stunning views of Westminster and Parliament. Cross Westminster Bridge if you want to get closer and then walk north into Soho where the bars are kicking. Old Compton Street is the most gay friendly neighbourhood in town, Ronnie Scott's and the Soho Pizza Express where you'll see Joel Ross are just up the road. Soho Square and Golden Square are both really hip open spaces in the nice weather where the young arty set just hang shoulder to shoulder with the homeless and more edgy characters. And Berwick Street has a great street food market during the day and leads to the quintet of record shops in close proximity, Sounds of the Universe, Reckless, Sister ray, If Music & Phonica.
Whatever you do, it's hard not to find something in this city that's for you. If you need any further tips while you're here, feel free to DM me.

Who needs touristic guides when you can have Mr Moore's suggestions?

Who needs touristic guides when you can have Mr Moore's suggestions?

Haha, I've been here 21 years now and there's still shedloads of towns in the city that I haven't been to yet. It's a monster city and I honestly think you can stretch yourself too thin here trying to fit too much in on a short visit. @NathanRicaud seems to have the right idea, pinpoint a few places and really get to spend some time there soaking it in.

Haha, I've been here 21 years now and there's still shedloads of towns in the city that I haven't been to yet. It's a monster city and I honestly think you can stretch yourself too thin here trying to fit too much in on a short visit. @NathanRicaud seems to have the right idea, pinpoint a few places and really get to spend some time there soaking it in.

I consider you know a city when you can point the best bar in town with the best beers. If you ever come to Paris, I'll take you to La Fine Mousse and Paname Brewing Company. @NathanRicaud doesn't care because he only drink water and cocktails.

We might need a London appreciation thread. I haven't been to London in 9 years but I remember thinking Spitalfields was a cool neighborhood to walk around and explore - lots of markets and food.

Yeah, Borough Market is wonderful. I would cross the river on that cool footbridge from the Tate Modern to St. Paul's Cathedral, too! Such a beautiful, truly iconic, building, and it's fun to climb to the top of the dome.

It's also really cool to check out any used bookstores in London. I was blown away at how easy/inexpensive it is to pick up little pocket-sized, century-old hardcover versions of classic novels. Great for souvenirs, or gifts for others!

Also you have to go dancing at night! British people are so fun to drink and dance with, and - I say this with love - they are so excited to dance with anyone who's not British, and they treat you like you are the greatest dancer in the world with all the best dance moves. It's the only place in the world where someone has told me, without a trace of irony, that I was "killing it" on the dance floor hahaha. To be fair (and to stereotype), part of this probably has to do with how much they drink, but it's always a good time. [If you go dancing though, go anywhere but Zoo Bar in Covent Garden, as the bouncers are just insanely aggressive and rude - I'd say more, but this post is already long enough.]

But if I can be really real for a second, no trip to London is complete without a visit to a Marks and Spencer's M&S grocery store and some Phizzy Pig Tails. HOLY BUCKETS! Your tastebuds will dance, and you will never be the same. I knew I had a problem when a friend and her parents were taking their first ever trip to London and they felt the need to e-mail me shortly after they arrived to reassure me that, before doing anything else in the city, they'd picked up 8 bags to bring back in their luggage for me.

I'm excited for you, Nathan! You will have so much fun!

Back