Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

It sounds like one of the places near me...THE THING. This is THE THING on a neat day. Every record is $2. Nothing is organized. This is maybe a quarter of the basement alone.

da-ting.jpg
Is that in NY? Mine was very similar but much smaller. It was in a row house basement. everything was 4 bucks or 5 for 20. I would go once a week so my collection got big pretty fast. Never found anything in there past the 80's though.

Is that in NY? Mine was very similar but much smaller. It was in a row house basement. everything was 4 bucks or 5 for 20. I would go once a week so my collection got big pretty fast. Never found anything in there past the 80's though.
Yep. Its in Greenpoint, BK and 2 blocks from where I live. It's a LOT of work to dig there. the splines aren't even all facing out. But they just buy huge collections and sell them all for $2. No matter what it is. I've gotten some sealed records in there like Let's Get Ready by Mystikal and a bunch of jazz/classic rock type stuff They also have tons of hip hop 12" singles. So much junk too though.

I don't have the patience for the THING. Who's your local? I'm a big fan of Record Grouch.
I don't blame ya haha. Academy is my local. Record Grouch is alright too but the one guy REALLY lives up to the name haha

And I really like the owner at Astoria Hi-Fi (I used to live near there) but they have always had pretty high prices.

Yep. Its in Greenpoint, BK and 2 blocks from where I live. It's a LOT of work to dig there. the splines aren't even all facing out. But they just buy huge collections and sell them all for $2. No matter what it is. I've gotten some sealed records in there like Let's Get Ready by Mystikal and a bunch of jazz/classic rock type stuff They also have tons of hip hop 12" singles. So much junk too though.
I may have to hit that up one day . I'm sure I'll walk out with 50 bucks worth of stuff. In the summer we used to have a flea market here and the records were ten for a buck I'd bring 5 bucks and go nuts. for ten cents you just grabbed it and hoped for the best there really wasn't enough time to open them up and inspect Everyone would just grab stuff.

I could be way off here, but i feel like they are going to drop a a ROTM people want or bring back something thats been on the radar a long time that people have been wanting and this is going to be the "test".

I know this is HIGHLY unlikely, but what would people do if Noname or Saba came into swaps or was announced for swaps only this month or next? I'm with the other member regarding the new swap prices. Most things ive swapped for have been in the mid $20 range. I couldnt justify $33 going forward. I could do a single track for $25 month over 12 months, but i dont want to commit to that. They arent reliable enough.

I may have to hit that up one day . I'm sure I'll walk out with 50 bucks worth of stuff. In the summer we used to have a flea market here and the records were ten for a buck I'd bring 5 bucks and go nuts. for ten cents you just grabbed it and hoped for the best there really wasn't enough time to open them up and inspect Everyone would just grab stuff.
Damn y’all are from Brooklyn 😩. Grew up in Carroll Gardens and then lived in Bushwick with my fiancé when I was like 21-22 then we moved out to LA. Miss NYC everyday but it’s a hard place to live. Didn’t even collect records when I lived in Brooklyn, a whole scene I didn’t even discover!

Damn y’all are from Brooklyn 😩. Grew up in Carroll Gardens and then lived in Bushwick with my fiancé when I was like 21-22 then we moved out to LA. Miss NYC everyday but it’s a hard place to live. Didn’t even collect records when I lived in Brooklyn, a whole scene I didn’t even discover!
No I'm from Philly but I worked in NY for about 7 years and traveled back and forth every day. I worked in Manhattan but I would sometimes I'd have to stay over and they would put up in hotels all over NY.

Ha I've never had a grouchy experience there - I just usually dig through the New Arrivals in silence. I think I overheard that the owner use to work at Matador or something - is that the guy?
I think there are two owners and one guy is notoriously always in a bad mood and clearly wants to be left alone hah. They have some good stuff though!

Curious if anyone ordered and received Mojo Buford - Mojo Workin' yet?

It shows "in stock", but still no shipping or info for me.

All my preorders have shown in stock for awhile now without any updates. I cancelled a bunch but Alfredo and Skull Session say in stock

Double-check that Alfredo; it went from "In stock" to "Estimated shipping in early October" for me.

No shipping on Skull Session, though. I'm still waiting for that person who got it shipped a week ago on Reddit to come back on to show off the record, although with the trainwreck that's happened this week, it's probably gonna be overlooked/forgotten.

I'm actually intrigued as to what's going to happen on 9/1 as I'm not going to pay these new jacked-up prices and have been on a month-to-month* even after they made Classics its own sub, but... as of 8/1, I continue to have an active Crate membership. Will that get renewed or tossed out like the pricing on all the supposedly grandfathered customers?

*Even though, thanks to Crate, I've technically been an "active" member since Apr 2015, I'm guessing this is why I'm not being offered a loyalty discount. It's 3/119, 6/219, 12/399, which is a nope all around.

I also checked on Discogs last night and have over 300 records under the VMP label, and probably only a dozen I got on the secondary market. Losing me alone isn't going to kill them, but lose enough of the people who've given them that much money? Customers aren't fungible commodities.
There we go. I was hoping there was still somebody who was hanging in there on the Crate plan, if only because it makes me chuckle to think of them continuing to have to support it on the back end of their platform all this time.

Double-check that Alfredo; it went from "In stock" to "Estimated shipping in early October" for me.

No shipping on Skull Session, though. I'm still waiting for that person who got it shipped a week ago on Reddit to come back on to show off the record, although with the trainwreck that's happened this week, it's probably gonna be overlooked/forgotten.
I just got a shipping notification for Skull Session and Hail Ceasar in one shipment. Yesterday got a shipping notification for When The Pawn on its own, so yeah the random shipping continues... why bother trying to fix something that will actually save them money.

Back