Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

For sure, bro-country does delegitimize the genre. If you want to understand any genre you have to dig deeper. You can’t just judge alt rock off RHCP, you can’t judge rap off Drake, pop off of Taylor, etc. etc.

Maybe the problem is a lack of sub genres within country. You have so many types of rock and RHH that’s it’s easy to discern between them. Country just seems to be split between Country, Folk, and Americana.

I just don't think they are as well defined. Or whatever is a subgenre, is quickly written of as 'not Country".

I would say along with Country, Folk, Americana, and Bluegrass, you have Alt-Country, Rockabilly, Outlaw Country, Honky Tonk, Nashville Sound, Western Swing, Country Pop, etc along with sub-genres fused with others like Southern Soul (like Yola), Southern Rock, and Heartland Rock.

A track can definitely dip into everything here and more.

Last edited:
I think folk is a catch all really for a type of organic storytelling music that is apparent in various different ways across the globe. I think elements of country are folk but then elements of Irish music too are folk but then others are very much their own thing.

Absolutely, and what I said in my post earlier. I think most Country Music is Folk but not necessarily vice-versa. I honestly think even alot of Rap/Hip-Hop can be defined as folk due to it's story telling elements and the fact that stylistically it's tied to a culture and geographic region. Some may call that a stretch though...

I just don't think they are as well defined. Or whatever is a subgenre, is quickly written of as 'not Country".

I would say along with Country, Folk, Americana, and Bluegrass, you have Alt-Country, Rockabilly, Outlaw Country, Honky Tonk, Western Swing, Country Pop, etc along with sub-genres fused with others like Southern Soul (like Yola), Southern Rock, and Heartland Rock.

A track can definitely dip into everything here and more.

haha, yes to the first line, definitely. I was on a fishing trip with a new friend and asked what his favorite kind of music was, after he said country and since I had the radio I decided to introduce him to Colter Wall. After the first song was over he said “I thought you said you were gonna play some country”.... I asked him to choose the next song to see his idea of country.... yep, Hank Williams III. The gap is just so so wide.

haha, yes to the first line, definitely. I was on a fishing trip with a new friend and asked what his favorite kind of music was, after he said country and since I had the radio I decided to introduce him to Colter Wall. After the first song was over he said “I thought you said you were gonna play some country”.... I asked him to choose the next song to see his idea of country.... yep, Hank Williams III. The gap is just so so wide.

Yeah, it's a shame and something I see more with Country than any other genre.

There's plenty of people who are only fans of classic rock but they usually say "Rock music today sucks", not "that isnt Rock".
Not sure why people have such a firm idea in their head of what does and does not even qualify as Country.

Yeah, it's a shame and something I see more with Country than any other genre.

There's plenty of people who are only fans of classic rock but they usually say "Rock music today sucks", not "that isnt Rock".
Not sure why people have such a firm idea in their head of what does and does not even qualify as Country.

Honestly, and this might be stereotyping a bit much, but I blame a culture of toxic masculinity, state/locality pride, and lifestyle exclusivity within a community. It gets to the point where you feel emasculated if you dare like anything other than top 10 country radio.

Honestly, and this might be stereotyping a bit much, but I blame a culture of toxic masculinity, state/locality pride, and lifestyle exclusivity within a community. It gets to the point where you feel emasculated if you dare like anything other than top 10 country radio.

For sure. That and the fact that generally people are pretty close minded about music and just listen to what's easily accessible or what they grew up with.

I live in NY where Country is not popular at all. And people know I'm a big pop fan as well, especially Britney Spears. So people just assume all I listen to is Britney Spears, and Country acts like Carrie Underwood and Luke Bryan (and that's about all they can name).

They're always surprised to hear I listen to ALOT of other music and after Kacey Musgraves won her grammy, one coworker said "It was a great night for artists only you've heard of". And I hear similar comments after the Grammy every year. AND THATS THE GRAMMYS. Not really what I'd call obscure artists....

Anyone listen to Red Dirt? I had a troop from Oklahoma and he was big into it. Went to a two-step bar and saw one of the groups (one that he loved - don't remember the name). But it was good. Nice overdriven, sawtooth guitars. Very much a Lynyrd Skynyrd vibe with the country influence turned to 11.
Turnpike Troubadours, Mike and Moonpies, etc... Texas “Red Dirt” Country is some of the best modern Country going today.

Turnpike Troubadours, Mike and Moonpies, etc... Texas “Red Dirt” Country is some of the best modern Country going today.

True. That Red Dirt and Hard Sothern Country rock is some of the best out there right now. Some others worth checking out are Blackberry Smoke, Hellbound Glory, Whiskey Myers, and of course, Shooter Jennings.

I think when the ROTM was Arctic Monkeys there a was a visual clue in the guess thread of someone waving off an offered cigarette and I was hoping and praying for How I quit Smoking. I am still clamoring for a reissue.

Would have been a genuinely great pick. And to be honest the sort of thing VMP has vaguely in its locker

Have that Arriving from Bullmoose today. Love Crockett, such an awesome old school sound.

You see this @wynn72

@agutierrezb posted over on the Jazz Thread about rumours that the Palo Alto Thelonious Monk has been delayed. I have just sleuthed through the Steve Hoffman forum and there's reports that its been delayed indefinitely. I really hope this is incorrect, although Universal Music has confirmed there is a delay and the teaser track has been removed from a few streaming sites......

View attachment 58581

Edit: Amazon pre-orders have had a status change to 'unavailable'.
Edit: Jean Claude from 'If Music' has confirmed its delay and that he hasn't been given a new date yet.
Edit: Jean Claude suspects it could be a licencing issue over manufacture issue.
Just as an update, I emailed VMP and they sent the below response.

Screenshot 2020-07-31 at 18.17.37.png

Back