Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I primarily want to see (if it really is Vinyl Me Pardner) what it will encompass besides straight Country. Because I can't imagine they'll stick to just Country Music. Both to give variety and make curation more flexible, and because Country by itself is a harder sell to a mass audience.

I have to imagine, It would be named something like "Roots Music", or "Country, Bluegrass, Folk, and Americana" and integrate in different music from across the spectrum including some Southern Rock, Alt-Country like Neko Case and Lydia Loveless, and even Indie-Folk.

I honestly think we'll be looking at maybe 4-5 picks a year that fit what most consider straight "Country".

I primarily want to see (if it really is Vinyl Me Pardner) what it will encompass besides straight Country. Because I can't imagine they'll still to just Sterotypical. To give variety and make curation more flexible, and because Country by itself is a harder sell to a mass audience.

I have to imagine, It would be names something like "Roots Music", or "Country, Bluegrass, Folk, and Americana" and integrate in different music from across the spectrum including some Southern Rock, Alt-Country like Neko Case and Lydia Loveless, and even Indie-Folk.

I honestly think we'll be looking at maybe 4-5 picks a year that fit what most consider straight "Country".
mmmmm exactly my thoughts! I think it'll definitely be only around 3-4 picks per year that will be 'straight Country'! And I hope that's the case too!

Up until 5 or so years ago I considered myself 'anti-country' And then I heard Sturgill Simpson which lead to Jason Isbell, Margo Price, Orville Peck, Kacey Musgraves, etc etc. I've since gone back to pick up albums from Loretta, Dolly, Townes, Willie, Johnny Cash. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

I was one of those people who “hate country except for Johnny Cash“ (and Kenny Rogers because my dad played him all the time growing up😅) Then I discovered Sturgill Simpson, who I really dig, and decided to give country a chance. 🤠

I was one of those people who “hate country except for Johnny Cash“ (and Kenny Rogers because my dad played him all the time growing up😅) Then I discovered Sturgill Simpson, who I really dig, and decided to give country a chance. 🤠

Johnny Cash is the country gateway drug. Happened to me too. It's when people start to explore a bit more they realize there's so much other good stuff as well.
It's really just like any other genre where most of what's on the radio is not the best overall offering out there, just the most marketable.

Last edited:
Johnny Cash is the country gateway drug. Happened to me too. It's when people start to explore a bit more they realize there's so much other good stuff as well.
It's really just like any other genre where most of what's on the radio is not the best overall offering out there, just the most marketable.
And Waylon Jennings is the hard stuff that makes you realize you're addicted.

Two things of note: if the new track is country, PLEASE have some Songs Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co./Jason Molina

Next, how does everyone here feel about the fact they're sending out copies of When the Pawn now?

Love Jason Molina. As for Fiona, I’m mildly annoyed to have no shipping notice. I understand that I didn’t pay extra to have it shipped ASAP separately, but I’ve had VMP ship other preorders as soon as they come into stock...

And Waylon Jennings is the hard stuff that makes you realize you're addicted.

Waylon is so damn good. I wonder which albums they'll pick of those Outlaw Country legends, and if they'll space them out. Because along with Cash and Dolly that's probably the cream of the crop, especially to the masses.

Two things of note: if the new track is country, PLEASE have some Songs Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co./Jason Molina

Next, how does everyone here feel about the fact they're sending out copies of When the Pawn now?

They should definitely have some of those artists. That type of curation is how you get people into the parts of the genre they don't know they're into. In my eyes the whole point of the tracks and curation.

And for Fiona, I want my copy, especially since I ordered immediately but I'm used to this from VMP by now and am trying to be more patient in terms of fulfillment. I generally always get what I ordered and havent been the victim of an oversell in a long time (knock on wood). I'm still waiting on both Fionas, Oliver Nelson, and Texas Gentlemen, which have all been released.

I'm not going to write into CS until next months shipments go out, because maybe they've fixed the bundling?

Ohh I was confused about where you got the "I'd only get $20 from credit" thing but forgot that they re-did the $20 off 3 months deal. I thought you were on a regular 3 month.

Ahh, I did not consider this! I resubbed because of the deal (I really want Spiritualized). If they are going to give me 20% credit of the reduced price, it’s not really worth it.

because maybe they've fixed the bundling?
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Waylon is so damn good. I wonder which albums they'll pick of those Outlaw Country legends, and if they'll space them out. Because along with Cash and Dolly that's probably the cream of the crop, especially to the masses.
Which Waylon albums would you recommend to someone trying to get into country.? I like country, but I’m only familiar with a few artists and never know where to start to really dive in.

They should definitely have some of those artists. That type of curation is how you get people into the parts of the genre they don't know they're into. In my eyes the whole point of the tracks and curation.

And for Fiona, I want my copy, especially since I ordered immediately but I'm used to this from VMP by now and am trying to be more patient in terms of fulfillment. I generally always get what I ordered and havent been the victim of an oversell in a long time (knock on wood). I'm still waiting on both Fionas, Oliver Nelson, and Texas Gentlemen, which have all been released.

I'm not going to write into CS until next months shipments go out, because maybe they've fixed the bundling?
Yea--I'm not sweating it too much in terms of not getting Fiona yet (or Oliver Nelson or Alfredo). I've been a victim of overselling a few times now though and it's not fun. So I've tempered my expectations now. I think When The Pawn is still "in stock" in their store so not worried about that title specifically.

Which Waylon albums would you recommend to someone trying to get into country.? I like country, but I’m only familiar with a few artists and never know where to start to really dive in.

I'd have to say 'Honky Tonk Heroes'. It's his most well known and acclaimed album and one of the best Country albums ever. But any from that general era are great like 'Lonesome, On'ry and Mean' and 'The Ramblin Man'.

A perfect album for you to check out as well would be 'Wanted! The Outlaws'. It was the best selling country album at the time it came out and was made to capitalize on the Outlaw movement. It's all previously released songs from Waylon Jennings, Jessi Colter, Willie Nelson, and Tompall Glaser. It's one of the most important Country albums of all time, despite being a comp, and was made to appeal to people like you who wanted to get more into Country music after realizing they liked this new "progressive, outlaw" sound.

Yea--I'm not sweating it too much in terms of not getting Fiona yet (or Oliver Nelson or Alfredo). I've been a victim of overselling a few times now though and it's not fun. So I've tempered my expectations now. I think When The Pawn is still "in stock" in their store so not worried about that title specifically.

Yeah, Ive been the victim many times but luckily most were awhile back, and what led me to not hesitating in the store if they released something I wanted.
They pressed so many for both Fiona's I'm not too worried about getting a copy of those. Nelson and Alfredo, I'm a bit more anxious about.

I'd have to say 'Honky Tonk Heroes'. It's his most well known and acclaimed album and one of the best Country albums ever. But any from that general era are great like 'Lonesome, On'ry and Mean' and 'The Ramblin Man'.

A perfect album for you to check out as well would be 'Wanted! The Outlaws'. It was the best selling country album at the time it came out and was made to capitalize on the Outlaw movement. It's all previously released songs from Waylon Jennings, Jessi Colter, Willie Nelson, and Tompall Glaser. It's one of the most important Country albums of all time, despite being a comp, and was made to appeal to people like you who wanted to get more into Country music after realizing they liked this new "progressive, outlaw" sound.
Looks like I now know what I’m listening to today. Thanks! That’s super helpful :)

If we are talking about country their are 2 albums I want.

Gillian Welchs "Time (The Revalator)" and Weens "12 Golden Country Greats"

One has never been printed and the other is common but is also a Plain pressing which means it's mist likely shite.

I hope VMP is doing a Metal Me, Please instead.

Back