Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Could this be done by vmp?
Monster [2 LP] R.E.M. - Monster [2 LP] - Amazon.com Music

I just came here to share this...

So it doesn’t Look like Monster will not be the October ROTM unless they release their version a month earlier (which I suppose is possible). Though you’d hope if that was the case they would let folks know ahead of time so people could hold off on pre-orders.

I guess we'll get more details tomorrow.
View attachment 16071
Here's the description of the super deluxe, from the Amazon listing for the 2-CD version (because, Amazon):

R.E.M.’s ninth album, Monster, was released at a time when the band were coming off the peak of their mainstream success, following Out of Time (1991) and Automatic For The People (1992). Coming from a long break in touring (the band famously didn’t tour with the two previous records), Monster represented an intentional shift in R.E.M.’s sound, a “return to rock” with guitar laden, simple arrangements. It was released to strong reviews and significant global success - reaching #1 on Billboard, and least 7 other countries. In 1995 the band promoted that album with their first concert tour since 1989 (although several band members suffered health problems). The album includes the singles; “What’s The Frequency, Kenneth?,” “Crush with Eyeliner,” “Bang and Blame,” and “Strange Currencies.” Commemorating the album’s 25th anniversary, original Producer Scott Litt re-approached R.E.M.’s “Monster” by remixing the entire album. The original 1995 version was dense in guitars and feedback with the vocals mixed within the sonic wall, but on this alternative version the guitars are pulled back and the vocals pushed forward to create a more open sound and showcase often-revealing lyrics. The deluxe edition package also includes previously unreleased demos, a complete live performance, recorded from the Monster tour in Chicago on June 3, 1995, plus a Blu-ray disc which features the band’s tour documentary “Road Movie,” five original music videos, as well as the complete remastered Monster album in 5.1 surround sound and hi-resolution audio. • Featuring the hits: "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?," "Bang and Blame," "Crush With Eyeliner" and more • Remastered Album; from the original analog master • 2019 Completely Remixed Album, by original producer, Scott Litt • Plus new liner notes, featuring interviews from members of the band • Reimagined artwork by the original cover artist, Chris Bilheimer

Here's the description of the super deluxe, from the Amazon listing for the 2-CD version (because, Amazon):

R.E.M.’s ninth album, Monster, was released at a time when the band were coming off the peak of their mainstream success, following Out of Time (1991) and Automatic For The People (1992). Coming from a long break in touring (the band famously didn’t tour with the two previous records), Monster represented an intentional shift in R.E.M.’s sound, a “return to rock” with guitar laden, simple arrangements. It was released to strong reviews and significant global success - reaching #1 on Billboard, and least 7 other countries. In 1995 the band promoted that album with their first concert tour since 1989 (although several band members suffered health problems). The album includes the singles; “What’s The Frequency, Kenneth?,” “Crush with Eyeliner,” “Bang and Blame,” and “Strange Currencies.” Commemorating the album’s 25th anniversary, original Producer Scott Litt re-approached R.E.M.’s “Monster” by remixing the entire album. The original 1995 version was dense in guitars and feedback with the vocals mixed within the sonic wall, but on this alternative version the guitars are pulled back and the vocals pushed forward to create a more open sound and showcase often-revealing lyrics. The deluxe edition package also includes previously unreleased demos, a complete live performance, recorded from the Monster tour in Chicago on June 3, 1995, plus a Blu-ray disc which features the band’s tour documentary “Road Movie,” five original music videos, as well as the complete remastered Monster album in 5.1 surround sound and hi-resolution audio. • Featuring the hits: "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?," "Bang and Blame," "Crush With Eyeliner" and more • Remastered Album; from the original analog master • 2019 Completely Remixed Album, by original producer, Scott Litt • Plus new liner notes, featuring interviews from members of the band • Reimagined artwork by the original cover artist, Chris Bilheimer
Nice! Then I'm going to say it's a good idea to lock in the $23 price from Amazon because there's no way it would really be only $3 more than the single LP.

Nice! Then I'm going to say it's a good idea to lock in the $23 price from Amazon because there's no way it would really be only $3 more than the single LP.

This and the Automatic reissue made me wish I had a CD player. It would be terrible for the wallet but I want ALL the extras on vinyl. Same for that BBC set.

The extras should be available to stream. The whole BBC set is.

I guess I wish there was more the the Automatic vinyl release like there was to the Out of Time one. Looks like this is going to have a new mix of Monster as the bonus disc, so that's cool.

I have the 1999 reissue of Automatic, I wonder if I should upgrade sometime.

I guess I wish there was more the the Automatic vinyl release like there was to the Out of Time one. Looks like this is going to have a new mix of Monster as the bonus disc, so that's cool.

I have the 1999 reissue of Automatic, I wonder if I should upgrade sometime.
The anniversary edition of Automatic sounds reeeeeeeeaaaaally good.

The remix version of "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" sounds great

OMFG.

I just A/B'ed this with the original, and there is NO COMPARISON.
The remix actually provides more EDGE with the clarity. I am so friggin' excited to hear the rest of the album!

EDIT: as great as it sounds, I'm not sure about some of the changes to the mix. Why take out the tremolo guitar in the chorus which was as much of a hook as anything in that song? Why take out the "don't fuck with me" line at the end of the song?
Thank goodness I pre-ordered the 2xLP version of this (original mixes LP1, remixes LP2) and that there isn't a standalone LP for the remixes. I can imagine people getting the remixes and thinking "this SOUNDS great, but why did they change things?"

Last edited:
Any chance it could be Wildflowers by Tom Petty? I know there was plans for a 25th anniversary release, but they hit a snag with his estate.

It'd be great but if the label hit a snag with the estate i doubt that VMP has stepped in between them, resolved the snag and then convinced the label to give them the release...

Back