Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Sublime was huge across the country in the mid-late 90s, not just Midwest or West Coast. I went school in Virginia and they were everywhere. Them and 311 (lol)

I, unfortunately, have had the distinct pleasure of seeing 311 AND Sublime w/Rome in Concert.
My best friend is, and this is not an understatement, the biggest 311 fan in the world.
His wife refuses to go to any 311 show with him - so I get roped in to an Amber colored evening on every tour.

That show at the worst venue in the US, Jones Beach Theater on Long Island, was one of many.

I, unfortunately, have had the distinct pleasure of seeing 311 AND Sublime w/Rome in Concert.
My best friend is, and this is not an understatement, the biggest 311 fan in the world.
His wife refuses to go to any 311 show with him - so I get roped in to an Amber colored evening on every tour.

That show at the worst venue in the US, Jones Beach Theater on Long Island, was one of many.
I'm sorry you had to go through that. That would truly be a friendship breaker for me.

Wtf is 311 even? Did they just try and fail to create a new genre?

EDIT: Even google has no fucking clue.
Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 11.17.18 AM.png

I saw 311 at Red Rocks with Pennywise, sometime in the early 2000s because of a girl I worked with. The benefit was that they built a snowboard half pipe and slope and had a bunch of pros doing tricks while they played so I had something to keep me occupied.

But I don't get the Sublime loathing either. They're not a favorite band, but I don't mind listening to a couple of their albums from time to time. There was way worse music coming out then than Sublime.

I saw 311 at Red Rocks with Pennywise, sometime in the early 2000s because of a girl I worked with. The benefit was that they built a snowboard half pipe and slope and had a bunch of pros doing tricks while they played so I had something to keep me occupied.

But I don't get the Sublime loathing either. They're not a favorite band, but I don't mind listening to a couple of their albums from time to time. There was way worse music coming out then than Sublime.
There's always worse music. Meghan Trainor has made a career of making the most absolutely garbage songs known to man and people listen to her, but VMP isn't slapping an "Essentials" label on it just yet.

There's always worse music. Meghan Trainor has made a career of making the most absolutely garbage songs known to man and people listen to her, but VMP isn't slapping an "Essentials" label on it just yet.
Maybe true, but I think Sublime is far more Essential than a lot of albums they've pressed. I don't see the problem.

I mean I’d never have heard of them but for that one guy at uni who was obsessed with US ska punk. He was kinda strange. They really were not a thing at all in Britain. Thank fuck. The later wave of Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish probably got more traction to be honest.

Jesus..skate punk...that’s enough to put me off ..skateboards were cool in the 70’s but I kept falling off..that is where they should stay ..and punk died with the Clash signing to CBS as everyone knows ...

Isn't Megan Trainor the Millennium's Weird Al?
I'm old so that's what I think when her videos come across my TV while watching cable.

Having gone to School on the West Coast of US, I can say that from California to....Kanas City?.....Sublime was VERY big in those areas in the late 90s early 2000s. The S/T was unescapable from 1997 -2000.

They basically presented as the follow through from No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom in 1995 once that record got played out but people were still looking for a Top40 So. Cal. Ska sound.

I don't loathe them the way some do, but I understand why the backlash exists.

I feel like (most) people aren't really directing the hate at the band so much as this album being the Essentials pick. It's maybe a little too specific to a time/place in history (and most people's personal lives for that matter) to fit the bill. Essentials feel like they should be a little more timeless in general (though this admittedly isn't always the case). Sublime would surely be getting far less guff as a store exclusive. As the Essentials pick, it's really tough to justify.

The thing that is interesting/sad/whatever about Sublime is that the frontman Bradley Nowell died of a heroin overdose two months before the release of the s/t. So there was a little bit of young tragedy what-if baked into the marketing for that album, combined with heavy rotation on MTV and radio (back when that meant something) and the So-Cal sound being popular at the time.

Jesus..skate punk...that’s enough to put me off ..skateboards were cool in the 70’s but I kept falling off..that is where they should stay ..and punk died with the Clash signing to CBS as everyone knows ...
I tried longboarding for the first time ever in my early 30s and severely broke my ankle (still have pins and rods in there).

Back