Vinyl Me Please Essentials

storf was too busy simping for kacey musgraves to get the air pressing right.. he wanted to make sure his waifus album had JUST the right color so people would buy the album they could have easily bought for 20 bucks on amazon..

Why are we shitting on the Musgraves album?

I might agree that KM might be better positioned as an exclusive release as opposed to an "Essentials" release - but why is it worthy of derision?
Its basically, Ben Folds Five Whatever and Ever Amen the Country version.

Not your bag - I get it.
Not capital letter "Essential"... I'd probably agree with you there.

But - those same two sentiments might just apply to the Holy Reverend (yawn...) Moon Safari.

Maybe I should have saved this for the Hot Take thread - but I've already put my foot over there on the fawning over Renaissance that seems to be happening right now.

Not only is the picture sideways but it’s kinda blurry too. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Probably a bad scan of a bootleg CD, knowing VMP.
It’s regarded as one of the most iconic album sleeves of all time. The cover of Bob Dylan’s 1966 opus Blonde on Blonde, which featured a distinctive blurry headshot of the singer in a black and white scarf, captured the drug-fuelled 1960s zeitgeist with its hazy aesthetic and disregard for convention.

But according to the photographer, Jerry Schatzberg, the blurred image was a mistake caused by him shivering in the cold.

“It was pretty cold out,” Schatzberg told rock critic Bob Egan. “I know all the critics, everybody said, ‘Oh, they were trying to do a drug shot’. It’s not true. It was February, [Dylan] was wearing just that jacket, and I was wearing something similar, and the two of us were really cold.”

I might agree that KM might be better positioned as an exclusive release as opposed to an "Essentials" release - but why is it worthy of derision?

Not your bag - I get it.

But - those same two sentiments might just apply to the Holy Reverend (yawn...) Moon Safari.

Maybe I should have saved this for the Hot Take thread - but I've already put my foot over there on the fawning over Renaissance that seems to be happening right now.
Just chalk it up as music is subjective and that people are shitting on it because music is subjective. People can shit on it, and if you like it that's all that really matters in the end.

People are likely shitting on it, because it's country, which is already pretty love/hate and moreover it's modern country, not classic which is a little more pallatable when you're dealing with Cash, Nelson, Cline, Parton etc.

Full disclosure, a coworker had to literally force feed me Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson before I listened to any modern country. I ended up liking those two (Sturgill being my fave), but honestly unless I accidentally hear something and like it I'm unlikely to explore the genre.

I have the classics, and that's what I'm going to stick to.

mostly because i dont like country due to my mom and older sister constantly playing it and thus i get constantly irritable and agitated

also i hate southern culture stuff and southern voices because of high school confederate worship bullshit

Not your bag - I get it.

Yeah, No one jumped on your “Beyoncé is imitator not an innovator” hot take post. maybe you’ll get more traction with the “AIR is boring” hot take.

I don’t necessarily disagree with from the standpoint that both albums have current pressings that sound great and are easily obtainable but I love both Kacey and AIR and think both are essential with a capital “E”.

I always have to laugh at myself when these quarterly announcements come out and my immediate reaction is "WHAT the HELL is this shit. I've never heard of ANY of these, this SUCKS, everything SUCKS."
And then I remember that I joined a record of the month club to, you know, discover new artists that I may not have heard of and I begrudgingly agree to listen through the 12 albums and usually I like a bunch of them and I think to myself "Hey DumDum, look at you, getting all cultured and shit."
And then I laugh, and then everyone else laughs because I'm laughing. Then I cry a bit but that's a story for a different time.

Anyhow I hate all these albums and everything sucks.

What was the question?

(I'm kidding I like a few of them)

Last edited:

Not your bag - I get it.

I don’t think anyone is really shitting on Musgraves, just the fact that you could, I know because I did, buy this record from VMP for five dollars ages ago. Why should we pay $40+?

Last edited:
Yeah, No one jumped on your “Beyoncé is imitator not an innovator” hot take post. maybe you’ll get more traction with the “AIR is boring” hot take.

I don’t necessarily disagree with from the standpoint that both albums have current pressings that sound great and are easily obtainable but I love both Kacey and AIR and think both are essential with a capital “E”.

Sorry I jumped on the Beyoncé take. That one got me fired up lol

I think Kacey is right in line with some of the other Essentials that they've put out. Sure, not everyone is going to agree on whether or not it is "essential", but it fits the sub IMO. That said, I've never been a huge Kacey fan but I'm happy for others who are. Plus, it's a RKS cut so I'm sure it'll sounds great.

When ever Kacey gets brought up I love to tell this story. Back in my tumblr days I was definitely a little shit, especially about my music opinions. I would talk all kind of shit on Swift and Beyoncé whenever I saw them succeeding and for the most part their fans would either ignore me or have a rather civil debate with me (I did get called racist for not liking Beyoncé’s self titled but they would then retract that when I would tell them Pharrell was my pick to win that year lol). But In 2019 all I said was I didn’t like golden hour and thought it wasn’t the worthy winner and I got attacked by her fans harder thank I have ever been attacked before. I was doxxed, told to kill myself and called a sexist (even though I wanted Janelle or Cardi to win). Obviously I don’t hold this against Kacey, it’s just funny to me how unexpectedly her fanbases became the most rabid fanbases I’ve dealt with

When ever Kacey gets brought up I love to tell this story. Back in my tumblr days I was definitely a little shit, especially about my music opinions. I would talk all kind of shit on Swift and Beyoncé whenever I saw them succeeding and for the most part their fans would either ignore me or have a rather civil debate with me (I did get called racist for not liking Beyoncé’s self titled but they would then retract that when I would tell them Pharrell was my pick to win that year lol). But In 2019 all I said was I didn’t like golden hour and thought it wasn’t the worthy winner and I got attacked by her fans harder thank I have ever been attacked before. I was doxxed, told to kill myself and called a sexist (even though I wanted Janelle or Cardi to win). Obviously I don’t hold this against Kacey, it’s just funny to me how unexpectedly her fanbases became the most rabid fanbases I’ve dealt with
I really don't get that level of defense when someone criticizes someone they like. At the end of the day that person is not going to personally give you a cyber bullying award.

Well I'm not part of that scene either - thank goodness for that.

Now if we are going to start slandering MMJ's Evil Urges, I'll book time in @Mather's murder dungeon for us.
[Is it still up on VRBO Mather?].

[Is it still up on VRBO Mather?].
It is but that Barbarian movie is seriously fucking with my shit.
People are all... wary.
It's all "why do you have so many copies of Whipped Cream and Other Delights down here" and "where do all these doors go to" and "why does the basement have another flight of stairs going down" and "why does this door not have a handle on this side" and "oh I think I'm locked in" and "hey wait where are you going" and "who's NIGHTMather and why did he sign this wall like seven thousand times".
People are so silly.

Last edited:
It is but that Barbarian movie is seriously fucking with my shit.
People are all... wary.
It's all "why do you have so many copies of Whipped Cream and Other Delights down here" and "where do all these doors go to" and "why does the basement have another flight of stairs going down" and "why does this door not have a handle on this side" and "oh I think I'm locked in" and "hey wait where are you going" and "who's NIGHTMather and why did he sign this wall like seven thousand times".
People are so silly.
"Why is NightMather's legal council, ChupacabraGuy(?) down here INSISTING I drink from his little critter teets?"

Barbarian was so good

Back