Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Hoping it's Walkmen as I have no intention on doubling up on Interpol no matter what they do with the album.
Bright Eyes I missed out on when it got repressed recently so will likely snag that as well.

Excited for Thin Lizzy, but I'll be disappointed if it isn't AAA.

For some reason I'm skeptical they'll get tapes. Probably because it's hard to get access to British tapes in America unless the masters are in America already, which I don't think Thin Lizzy's are. Will be disappointing if it's not AAA especially since it's so easy to find an Original US pressing for cheap and they sound great.

Excited for Thin Lizzy, but I'll be disappointed if it isn't AAA.
Last year I relistened to a lot of Thin Lizzy and I just finished relistening to Jailbreak again. If it's AAA I'll bite cause this album is a stone cold classic...but...I stand by my impression that I finally fell upon last year that still persisted for me on this listen. The Boys Are Back In Town sticks out like a sore thumb on this album. It's not a bad song, but it interrupts the flow imo and there are so many better songs on the album that I'd probably skip it more often than not when listening to this album.

For some reason I'm skeptical they'll get tapes. Probably because it's hard to get access to British tapes in America unless the masters are in America already, which I don't think Thin Lizzy's are. Will be disappointing if it's not AAA especially since it's so easy to find an Original US pressing for cheap and they sound great.

There's no reason they couldn't do AAA in England, or even Ireland. I'm sure they could ship the plates from the UK to GZ, and they often use Barry Grint's mastering studio in London.

Last year I relistened to a lot of Thin Lizzy and I just finished relistening to Jailbreak again. If it's AAA I'll bite cause this album is a stone cold classic...but...I stand by my impression that I finally fell upon last year that still persisted for me on this listen. The Boys Are Back In Town sticks out like a sore thumb on this album. It's not a bad song, but it interrupts the flow imo and there are so many better songs on the album that I'd probably skip it more often than not when listening to this album.
Glad I’m not the only one who thinks The Boys is the weakest song on the album. For the longest time that’s the only song I knew from Thin Lizzy. So when I listened to the album in full I was blown away.

There's no reason they couldn't do AAA in England, or even Ireland. I'm sure they could ship the plates from the UK to GZ, and they often use Barry Grint's mastering studio in London.

I don't know the last time we had an American reissue mastered in the UK though. Especially from VMP. That is very rare. They use Grint a lot but it is almost always half speed mastered stuff or digital modern reissues. I think there might be some US tapes they would use. That's how Kevin Gray cut Black Sabbath AAA for rhino a decade or so ago.

Glad I’m not the only one who thinks The Boys is the weakest song on the album. For the longest time that’s the only song I knew from Thin Lizzy. So when I listened to the album in full I was blown away.

Same here, I thought they were cheesy radio dad-rock. Instead TL is now one of the only classic rock bands I’m not burnt out on. Jailbreak is perhaps slightly marred by the overplaying of “Boys” but it doesn’t diminish the album, and the song in context is enjoyable.

I really am hoping for a nice package here, or I’ll skip it. I found a nice Japanese copy a couple of years ago in Sweden of all places, but I’m sure a modern mastering could be better. Not so sure a GZ pressing will be though 🤢

Anyone else get Justice yet? Thoughts?

It sounds crisp and clean, but also like I can’t get it loud enough. Kind of a shame really.

Edit: significant static on Valentine and The Party. Huge bummer for the more quiet songs on this album.

Last edited:
Was there another band from NY who released their first lp in 2002 besides Interpol and The Walkmen? Both of those albums are easily available currently. Popmarket has Turn On and Everyone Who is available via the band’s website. I know You & Me is getting the VMP color treatment but again, that’s available directly through the band. I think Bows + Arrows would be the proper Essentials pick but that doesn’t fit the clues.
This pick seems a little lazy.

Was there another band from NY who released their first lp in 2002 besides Interpol and The Walkmen? Both of those albums are easily available currently. Popmarket has Turn On and Everyone Who is available via the band’s website. I know You & Me is getting the VMP color treatment but again, that’s available directly through the band. I think Bows + Arrows would be the proper Essentials pick but that doesn’t fit the clues.
This pick seems a little lazy

Walkmen confirmed.

Crosses (Justice) arrived today. Gorgeous gatefold and presentation. I do have an issue with disc 1 - hopefully it's not widespread.

There is a audible tick toward the end of Let There Be Light that carries into D.A.N.C.E.
Also, static in the right channel on the first track on side B. I'm sure they'll help with a replacement. Outside of these issues, it sounds fantastic.

I had a little brief, fleeting right channel crackle on the run in grooves on a couple sides but not throughout the whole side like had on Mars Volta and wu tang. The sound of the mastering and dynamics is awesome. Great packaging too as always.

July title confirmed in Swap Preview:

Bright Eyes- I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Missed out on the repress awhile back so on board for Bright Eyes and nothing else next month. August is where the real fun begins. I wish that was a different Coltrane album.

Has Bright Eyes had anymore... Incidents... On tour this spring?

Saw he walked off the one and thought to myself what a drama queen. Don't really feel like supporting that at the moment.

Back